Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

2012 Flex Towing Package Dealer Installation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kmccabe56

kmccabe56

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Flex

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:32 AM

I have a 2012 SEL and asked if the dealer could retrofit the towing package. Salesman claimed it could be done (and of course he wouldn't lie to me), but in reading some of the other posts here, there's some ambiguity about the trailer sway control.

From what little I have learned so far, it looks like it's a plug-in module just to the left of the OBDII port under the steering column.

So far the dealer is living down to my expectations having gotten in only the hitch and the wiring harness thus far. No oil cooler or the sway control.

Anyone else retrofit the towing package? What were your experiences?

#2 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

I think you're confusing the brake control and the sway control.

The brake controller feature is a plug under the steering wheel that you can use to plug in an aftermarket brake controller. There is no way the dealer can replicate the exact tow-package setup, but they can easily install some aftermarket stuff that wouldn't be that different.

The trailer sway control is a function of the stability control system. It's controlled by the ABS module and I think it may be active in non-trailer tow vehicles, if not, it's probably something they can turn on through the computer.

#3 OFFLINE   kmccabe56

kmccabe56

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Flex

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

I think you're confusing the brake control and the sway control.

The brake controller feature is a plug under the steering wheel that you can use to plug in an aftermarket brake controller. There is no way the dealer can replicate the exact tow-package setup, but they can easily install some aftermarket stuff that wouldn't be that different.

The trailer sway control is a function of the stability control system. It's controlled by the ABS module and I think it may be active in non-trailer tow vehicles, if not, it's probably something they can turn on through the computer.

This leads me to two followup questions then:

Does the trailer brake controller that plugs in under the steering column need to have a vehicle that's specifically wired for it, or is this plug on all Flexes?

Does anyone have a Flex with the factory trailer tow package installed? I have yet to find anyone at the dealer I bought my vehicle from who can even tell me whether or not the engine oil cooler can be retrofitted.

I agree that sway control should be a programming issue for the computer, but, again, my dealer doesn't seem to be able to grasp that concept.

I'm trying to get to Class 3 tow capability and the dealer wants to install a Class 1 hitch!!!

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

This leads me to two followup questions then:

Does the trailer brake controller that plugs in under the steering column need to have a vehicle that's specifically wired for it, or is this plug on all Flexes?

Does anyone have a Flex with the factory trailer tow package installed? I have yet to find anyone at the dealer I bought my vehicle from who can even tell me whether or not the engine oil cooler can be retrofitted.

I agree that sway control should be a programming issue for the computer, but, again, my dealer doesn't seem to be able to grasp that concept.

I'm trying to get to Class 3 tow capability and the dealer wants to install a Class 1 hitch!!!

The brake control connector only comes with the tow package.
The engine oil cooler can be retrofited, though it requires the cooler, and the coolant lines and a new lower radiator hose. They will have to drain the coolant and oil to change it.

#5 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

All Flexes have the connector for the brake controller, but somewhere between the dash, the engine compartment and the tail end, some wires are missing.  I dont know if it changed for 2012, but 2010 flex did not have the auxilary fuse/relay box installed for the trailer tow under the hood, and getting a power feed through the firewall is extremely difficult. Been there, tried it, gave up.

looks like I may be getting a 2013 Flex limited EB tomorrow, does not have a tow package on it, so I may be doing this all once more, but plan to actually complete it this time, provided I get the correct harness. I still have a harness for the 2009/2010 Flex with the trailer wiring.  I dont remember if the Flex I had was early or late and the harness was late/early.  Who knows it may work on the 2013.

#6 OFFLINE   Betty2

Betty2

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Limited

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Does the 2013 Limited have the fuse box ready to go for the trailer harness to work ? i.e. my F-150 has the trailer toe package but I had to pop in the fuse into the vacant slot for the trailer lights / brakes to work.

#7 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

I ses you posted the question here too.  I have the part numbers for all the pieces needed to add a close to factory setup to get Class III on an Ecoboost model. For the non EB version you need to have an oil cooler added.  There is the hitch itself, the trailer light isolation kit, the rear wiring harness for factory look, and the 7 pin socket that attaches to the hitch.  You then need a brake controller wiring kit, and run power through the firewall from the engine compartment.  Its a rather large job to do it right, and as soon as I get all my parts together I will have an install thread posted to detail the work done.  I did most of it once, but had issues getting the power through, but have an idea now on how to get it through. 

I will post the part numbers later, they are on my other PC, but my internet is down so it will have to wait until I fix it, my basement flooded so priorities. 

#8 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

I just had an OEM Ford hitch installed by my Dealer's special/custom subcontractor here at the Dealer back lot. I purchased all the wiring harnesses and hitch assembly from another online source (Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas) at deep discounts.
These installers are pro's and have done dozens of Flex installs, I watched them as they rewired the OEM tail light/trailer light loom that I provided. This Flex was not tow equipped so relays and stuff were missing under the hood and some of the new OEM tail light loom wires were dead at the back of the car but they had no trouble getting the 4-pin and 7-pin connectors installed and working. The 7pin connector is lights and 12v power only now, the 4-pin is lights. The installers had a special professional plug in wire checker that power tested everything when they were done.

If I ever want to add an electric trailer brake controller (I doubt it), they can do that for me as well, it's all set up for it now.

The finished job looks excellent, like an OEM install, the two trailer light plugs (with covers) fit perfect in the Ford hitch.
This took them 2 hours and cost $250, well worth it.

A picture at night with a flash, at least it shows the connectors with caps on and nice trim molding. 

The receiver and plugs sit up high and inline with the bumper valance, up tight against the license plate.

I have a chrome cap for the 2" receiver.

P1010248_zpsa2291d7a.jpg

Edited by GrySql, 20 November 2014 - 07:53 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·