Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Full Size Spare

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bujoecool

bujoecool

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Flex SEL, AWD

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Has anyone upgraded to a full size spare? I'm about to start towing a 21' travel trailer (under the 4,500 lb limit) and I don't like the idea of only having a doughnut spare. Sure, the two package came with the handy tire inflator with leak-stop built in, but that will only help if you have a small leak. If you get a blow-out you are stuck using the spare.

I'm curious if a full size will fit in the wheel well (where the doughnut is now), and also curious if anyone has suggestions on the most economical way to get a reliable full size spare.

#2 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 278 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

A full size spare will not fit in the well.

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

It's a bummer, but a full size spare will not fit in the well. You'll have to find somewhere else to put it. Also note that the mini-spare is not to be used when towing - ever!

#4 OFFLINE   bujoecool

bujoecool

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Flex SEL, AWD

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

OK - so I'm searching for a used rim to use for my full sized spare. There are a lot out there, most of which do not have the TPMS. Obviously if that is missing, the Flex can't detect a tire pressure problem. Will that just light up a warning light on my dash board, or will I get an audible alarm as well? I don't mind driving around with an extra light on the dash illuminated, but an audible alarm would drive me crazy.

Also, a lot of the rims are missing the center cap with the Ford logo. Does that serve any function other than aesthetics?

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for things I should be looking for / questions I should be asking when looking at used rims?

PS. Thanks mmstar & Waldo for your replies!!!

#5 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

Well the mini-spare doesn't have a TPMS either, so you wouldn't have anything different. It sets an audible alarm once, when it detects the problem, then the light will stay on.

The most important factor to consider for a full-size spare is to get one that has very close to the same diameter as the other tires, unless you have FWD. The AWD system can be damaged by running tires with different diameters.

Center caps do protect the hubs and halfshafts from road debris and salt, but for the presumably short time you'll be using your "temporary full-size spare", it isn't anything to worry about.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·