Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Towing over max gross? How did it perform?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rlehwald

rlehwald

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

I usually don't have much respect for towing limitations and have in many cases exceeded them with no problems on other vehicles. I just distribute weight well, use a good brake controller and weight distributing hitch and take it easy (low speeds following other vehicles at greater distances). I am considering a camper to tow behind the Flex and of course I want more than the manufacturer says that I can have. I don't want to hear all of the folks who are scared of this or that happening unless you have some kind of inside scoop on the engineering of this vehicle. What I am wondering is if any of you have pushed the Flex beyond it's towing limitations of 450 and 4500 and how did she perform?

#2 OFFLINE   Fredee

Fredee

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Flex AWD 2009 Limited

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

My camping trailer weights 4500 pounds. I almost don't feel it when i tow. With the kids and stuff, i'm pretty shure i exeed the 4500 pound limit. You just have to be smart when you tow at the limit of a vehicule. Take your time to take the speed and be gentle on the throttle if you want good mileage , use a BRAKE CONTROLER, absolutly use a weight distribution hitch and an anti-sway system, and once again take your time. Better safe than sorry.

I don't think the engine or the transmission would limit the towing capacity. I don't have the Ecoboost and the engine still has a lot of power. This kit could probably be able to tow a lot more. I think the frame is the limit. I wouldn't tow 8000 pound with the Flex cause i'm sure the frame would be thorn away.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by Fredee, 19 March 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   rlehwald

rlehwald

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thanks Fredee. I agree that the structure of the vehicle is likely limiting. I just notice that the campers that I am looking at are right up there at 4500lbs or so empty and I really don't want to settle for a pop-up style.

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

Thanks Fredee. I agree that the structure of the vehicle is likely limiting. I just notice that the campers that I am looking at are right up there at 4500lbs or so empty and I really don't want to settle for a pop-up style.

That's some great guessing, but it's wrong. The Flex is limited by it's cooling potential. Unlike a big truck, the frontal opening of a Flex is small, not a lot of air goes through the radiator and other coolers. You're not going to bend any metal by towing over 4500lbs, but going up a grade in the desert could result in some unplanned parking on the side of the road.

#5 OFFLINE   Milk Truck

Milk Truck

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

There are lots of limiting factors in determining the towing limits of a vehicle, but the single most predictable failure rate is in the transmission. Most are caused by over heating causing breakdown of tansmission fluid properties leading to failure of clutch plate friction material.
So, take precatuions, add oil temp sensors for engine and transmission, add additional oil cooling capacity if temps get over the 180/190 deg F mark.

This may not be the limiting factor, but from what I know, it is likely one of them. The others are going to be brakes, engine cooling capacity, and the ability to take the load of a weight distributing hitch through the suspension and still have acceptable vehicle dynamics.

Overall the Flex is an OK performer when towing close to the limit. We tow a 3200 lb pop up and when loaded with gear, it's close to 4200. It performs well in the Southern Ontario, Central Ontario, Northen Eastern New York region, but than again we dont have long grades that really test it.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

#6 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

Towing capacities are always set so the vehicle will have plenty all that is mention above like Engine Cooling, Transmission cooling and structural strenght to perform with adequate results...you can however exceed these capacities with ok results but it might stress the components to failure and that would be on you...A bigger transmission cooler wouild be the first addition to make sure you protect your investment if you are gonna decide to push above the limits...If you do this, don't expect the warranty to cover failures.

Edited by Notgrownup, 24 April 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   rlehwald

rlehwald

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I was not considering cooling being a limitation for what I plan to do. That is good to think about. I live in Michigan, and I don't like going camping during our two weeks of high nineties temperatures anyway, so I am hoping this will not be an issue. I will watch it closely though. I think I will look into a transmission cooler though. Just a good idea. The campers that I am looking at will probably put me at about 5000 lbs max, if that, all loaded down with water and gear, but I also will have the family in the vehicle as well. It's not ideal, but that's what I have to work with. Do you guys know where to install a transmission fluid temperature sensor? Does it go in one of the lines to the radiator?

#8 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

Wow, you're going to be well over 1000lbs above the GCVWR. That's 1000lbs more that the brakes have to stop. I assume you'll have trailer brakes, but still, think about all that weight that you might need to stop in an emergency.
To be honest, towing in Michigan at less than 90F shouldn't give you any trouble with transmission temps, though no guarantees! The Flex already has a transmission cooler that's integrated into the A/C condenser, so it's not easy to add anything more as you have to T into the existing lines, and that can cause flow issues.

#9 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Here is my take on this. The weight isnt the real issue here, you can have a small trailer and load it to far exceed the towing limit, what you must consider is driveability. I have a 2 horse bumper pull trailer, its gross is 7500 pounds and empty weight is 3500. I used to pull it with a 97 Explorer AWD V8, it pulled and stopped it fine with 2 horses in it. The issue came when on the interstate, and passing or being passed by a Semi. The push/pull from the truck going by would cause the Explorer and trailer to sway, and if you have an aftermarket hitch installed and not the factory, the sway control is not installed, so you must give this consideration due to the short wheel base, especially pulling a big box behind you.  The factory Tow package includes sway control, but it may not be enough to counter act the sway I am referring to. It can get out of control really fast, especially if you are one of those who tends to drive above 60 while towing. That sway could start out as a little move, but can quickly amplify enough to cause you to jack knife if you dont know how to correct it. Most times lifting your foot off the gas will stop it, but some people will have the knee jerk reaction of hitting the brakes, and then Instant crash can happen.

Not saying dont do it, but driver beware of this issue with the short wheelbase of the Flex and a larger boxy trailer.   I had rented a dump trailer and pulled it with an F150 and that bugger started to sway even with the large pickup.  Was not fun, but I was able to stabilize it and just slowed down.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·