Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Weathertech Side Window Deflectors

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tankthecrank

tankthecrank

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Ever since I purchased my 2011 Ford Flex I have wanted to purchase side window air deflectors for it. At the time, the only deflectors available for the Flex were the stick on type that are attached over the window frame with double sided tape and I have never cared for that style. I wanted the deflectors that were mounted in the window channel and I recently discovered that a firm called WeatherTech made what I wanted so I bought a set. They only make deflectors for the front windows which was all that I wanted anyway. These deflectors are not cheap. I spend almost $100.00 (with state sales tax included), but the store owner told me that this company makes quality products to justify the cost. When I placed my order the store owner told me that there are sometimes problems with "in channel" deflectors activating the child safety feature built into all power window assemblies manufactured today. I still wanted to give the WeatherTech product a try anyhow.

They are fairly easy to install and it only took about a minute on each side to place into the channel. One thing that is necessary with these deflectors is that the forward edge of the deflector cannot rest in the channel. It must be placed on the window sill or the fit will be sloppy (loose). I found that the first few times I lowered and raised the windows that they did indeed activate the child safety feature. This was much more of a problem on the drivers side than on the passenger side. In time the problem has appeared to have gone away.

What I have experienced with both deflectors is that each window has a tendency to strike the wind deflector just below the WeatherTech labels when the window(s) are raised. This continues to be a problem with the passenger side window. I cannot close the window without assistance because it gets hung up. I use the pointed end of my car umbrella to punch (push) the deflector from inside the car while sitting in the drivers seat and raising the window and the problem is solved to a limited degree. I am hoping that in time when the deflector breaks in this will cease to be necessary.

I cannot report yet on how well the deflectors work because today we are experiencing high winds that are buffeting the car from all directions. The main purpose for buying the defectors is for highway driving at higher speeds with the windows down. I am an old fart (60) and I miss the small side window wind deflector that at one time most cars came with as standard equipment.

#2 OFFLINE   cosshog

cosshog

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts
  • Current Vehicle:harley

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Please keep us updated, I to do not want the adhesive style which only leaves weather tech.

#3 OFFLINE   howied

howied

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Flex

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

I have the ]window deflectors from weathertech,work fine no problems at all,love em

#4 OFFLINE   tankthecrank

tankthecrank

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

My experience with the WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors that I installed about a month ago.

The deflectors did settle in after a couple of days and I no longer have any problems raising or lowering the side windows.

Sadly I must state that I am disappointed in the performance of the product. In my observations the deflectors do a poor job of deflecting the wind when the window is fully open. There may be a benefit when the windows are only part way open, but it sure is not much, if any.

THE GOOD - They look great. Much more attractive (to me) then the ones that are taped on. They do provide some relief from rain entering the car with the windows down.

THE BAD - Do not deflect much wind. Expensive.

#5 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

I was gonna buy these but heard of the issues so i got the AVS brand and they make a lot of wind buffeting.... i am now tempted to take them off....

#6 OFFLINE   howied

howied

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Flex

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

I bought the deflectors from weather tech,installed them they promptley fell out of the channel I then got some 3M double sided tape and put tape on 4 places & all is well

#7 OFFLINE   Floridianman

Floridianman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 limited

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

Ever since I purchased my 2011 Ford Flex I have wanted to purchase side window air deflectors for it. At the time, the only deflectors available for the Flex were the stick on type that are attached over the window frame with double sided tape and I have never cared for that style. I wanted the deflectors that were mounted in the window channel and I recently discovered that a firm called WeatherTech made what I wanted so I bought a set. They only make deflectors for the front windows which was all that I wanted anyway. These deflectors are not cheap. I spend almost $100.00 (with state sales tax included), but the store owner told me that this company makes quality products to justify the cost. When I placed my order the store owner told me that there are sometimes problems with "in channel" deflectors activating the child safety feature built into all power window assemblies manufactured today. I still wanted to give the WeatherTech product a try anyhow.

They are fairly easy to install and it only took about a minute on each side to place into the channel. One thing that is necessary with these deflectors is that the forward edge of the deflector cannot rest in the channel. It must be placed on the window sill or the fit will be sloppy (loose). I found that the first few times I lowered and raised the windows that they did indeed activate the child safety feature. This was much more of a problem on the drivers side than on the passenger side. In time the problem has appeared to have gone away.

What I have experienced with both deflectors is that each window has a tendency to strike the wind deflector just below the WeatherTech labels when the window(s) are raised. This continues to be a problem with the passenger side window. I cannot close the window without assistance because it gets hung up. I use the pointed end of my car umbrella to punch (push) the deflector from inside the car while sitting in the drivers seat and raising the window and the problem is solved to a limited degree. I am hoping that in time when the deflector breaks in this will cease to be necessary.

I cannot report yet on how well the deflectors work because today we are experiencing high winds that are buffeting the car from all directions. The main purpose for buying the defectors is for highway driving at higher speeds with the windows down. I am an old fart (60) and I miss the small side window wind deflector that at one time most cars came with as standard equipment.

hello,  a year later how is the wind deflector working as you roll up your window.  has it broke in to open and close in a breeze? I just purchased a 2013 and wonder if weather tech made any adjustments to the product for your issue

#8 OFFLINE   Sabtaj1

Sabtaj1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:13 Eco flex limited

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'm curious too. As I just got a 13 as well

#9 OFFLINE   ToyKalibur

ToyKalibur

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex Limited

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

I am interested in knowing how these are too. I have recently purchased a 09 Flex and want to add some of these. Any new information out there yet on who has tried what?

#10 OFFLINE   topofminehill

topofminehill

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Cinnimum/white Suede

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

I was going to purchase the Weather tech set for my flex but changed my mind. I first purchased the set for my 2014 Excape which also mount in the channel. I purchased the full set and installed per instructions. The units come with a tape that adheres in the channel. No matter what I did, the rears just kept coming loose and hang down, disgarded them. The fronts stayed in the channel and worked when window down about 1/3. The problem I noticed was that it always sounded like I had a poor window seal- increased noise. Found out it was the wind buffeting making the noise on the deflector. Passed up installing any more on vehicals. 

#11 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:17 PM

Ford and AVS also make these, I wonder if they mount differently and have less wind noise.

#12 OFFLINE   Blkstang216

Blkstang216

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Flex

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

I bought the Weathertech deflectors through Summit Racing.  Paid regular price for them.  One of the back window deflectors was too big for the channel.  Structure design issue.  The front ones, don't get me started.  They kept hitting the safety feature on the window and so the window would promtly go back down once it hit the deflector.  I talked with Weathertech and I got no where.  Sent them back.  I really want to get something because I have Weathertech on my 2004 Explorer and I love being able to crack the window open on a super hot day in the summer and not worry about accidently leaving the windows open.  Anyone know about the ones Ford sells directly? 

#13 OFFLINE   FastFlex7

FastFlex7

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Flex w/Ecoboost

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:36 AM

I also have these weathertechs installed for around a year, and I must say I love them!

#14 OFFLINE   bluer101

bluer101

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:23 AM

I also have deflectors by Weatchertech. I've had them for several months, and cannot say anything bad about them.

The only thing I didn't like about them is the price, and it looks like it's not only me who thinks that they are a bit overpriced. LOL

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·