Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Serpentine Belt Replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brockdog12

brockdog12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 18 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

Has anyone replaced their serpentine belt yet and if so, can you describe the experience...simple, hard? On past Ford's I have owned there has been a diagram of the way the belt is routed around the pulleys but I can't one on the Flex. Thank you!

#2 OFFLINE   brockdog12

brockdog12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

No one? I did find the belt routing in the manual and see there is also a v-belt mentioned nowhere, not even when buying a replacement, must be a dealer only replacement part.

#3 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

I do believe the Flex uses a chain to drive the cams. The belt routing diagram is for the accessory belts.

#4 OFFLINE   brockdog12

brockdog12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thank you for the post Midnight Rider. Ford calls them drive belts, you and I call the serpentine belts. Anyway, I have both belts and after a little more research, the power steering belt is a stretch belt requiring a tool I bought to assist in installation and the main serpentine belt is a straight forward replacement like everything I have owned in the past.

#5 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

You're welcome, brockdog12. I looked the belts up in the shop manual, and they do indeed show a "Stretchy Belt Remover" tool, and an installer tool. Is the belt a special belt that stretches, or what? I've never seen anything like that. I've used rags on v-belts in the past; this seems like a similar thing.

Imagine, they say to remove the RH tire and splash shield. I miss the "good old days"...

#6 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

You're welcome, brockdog12. I looked the belts up in the shop manual, and they do indeed show a "Stretchy Belt Remover" tool, and an installer tool. Is the belt a special belt that stretches, or what? I've never seen anything like that. I've used rags on v-belts in the past; this seems like a similar thing.

Imagine, they say to remove the RH tire and splash shield. I miss the "good old days"...

The serpentine belt is tensioned by a coil spring loaded tensioner that rides on the belt and keeps the correct tension on the belt. The belt and tensioner typically last 7 - 10 years or about 90,000 miles ~ depending on the heat in your area.

Contrast the old days when you might have had 3 separate fan belts, each requiring that you must re-tighten the belt after the first 300 miles ~ after it settled down. Additionally, the risk of the muscle bound idiot overtightening the replacement belts and damaging the front main bearing on the engine only because he thought he'd let you skip coming in for a re-tighten.

From my side, much of the innovations have made the cars more reliable, more fuel efficient, and perhaps more resistant to the 'Mungo' factor :finger:

#7 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Oh, I quite agree there's progress been made with belts.
Could you explain about the stretch belt?
Thanks!

#8 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

Oh, I quite agree there's progress been made with belts.
Could you explain about the stretch belt?
Thanks!

I don't know what a stretch belt, other than my own belt that occasionally has to accomodate a 39" waist with a 38" belt :hysterical:

All rubber / fabric belts will have some amount of stretch after initial installation, but the automatic tensioner will adapt to that immediatley. I would not call these belts stretch belts.

#9 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

But there is no tensioner on the stretch belt - how does it get tensioned?
I looked up the install/remove tools - $45!

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·