Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Rustproofing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eco Beauty

Eco Beauty

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ecoboost

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

Anyone ever had their Flex rustproofed? Recommendations? (we won't use the dealer) We live in Canada and with the amount of salt they use on the roads I would love to get this done.

#2 OFFLINE   roblectric

roblectric

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:56 AM

Your Flex was rustproofed at the factory. Don't waste your money.

#3 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

The cars are built a lot tighter nowadays than they use to...I remember going up in New Brunswick folks drilling holes in the inner body panels and spraying oil inside them... yeah it rustproofs but stank... then there was Ziebart...I say leave it alone until you see the need to get it done...living on the coast is just as bad. But like Roblectric says...they are rust proofed from the factory...How long you gonna keep the car anyway? Personally i wouldn't waste the money...put it towards a nice vacation or a good bottle of Cask #16... something useful like that you know...Down Payment on a Harley...Skidoo...something fun...

#4 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

Anyone ever had their Flex rustproofed? Recommendations? (we won't use the dealer) We live in Canada and with the amount of salt they use on the roads I would love to get this done.

As a fellow Canadian, I appreciate your concern about salt. Combined with the Canadian tendancy to keep your car longer than our Southern brothers...I would not hesitate to recommend using someting like Krown or Rust Check. The only issue I have with either of these products is the tendancy for them to cause rubber door gaskets to swell up when they are applied over the whole car by these shops

My own practice is to purchase 2 cans of RustCheck Spray from Canadian Tire, and very lightly spray the bottom edge of the doors (clean them first) and then the inner panels of the hood and into the bottom holes of the rear hatch. By doing this myself, I save money and don't have to worry about the rubber gaskets going all funky. The product really does creep into the small areas, don't be too fussy about getting 100% coverage, just a light spray is enough.

When Spring arrives, wash all this stuff off, and enjoy a clean car until December.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·