Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

TSB 10-17-03 - Does it Fix the Brakes for Good?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NHFlexster

NHFlexster

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Nissan Murano

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

Hi folks,

New, potential Ford Flex owner here. The reason I say "potential" is that I am two days away from purchasing a 2009 Certified Pre-Owned Ford Flex Limited. The wife has fallen in love with this car (I admit, it is nice...), and we're scheduled to finalize the deal and pick it up in two days. Tonight we went to the dealer to finalize some financing info, etc. and I asked for, and received, a copy of the maintenance records for the vehicle. The previous owner of the vehicle was the dealership's owner's wife, so all of the maintenance records were on file and easily printed. The car has approx. 32,500 miles on it.

In reviewing the maintenance records, I see the following items all related to the brakes:

- August 2010 (20k miles) Humming noise from brakes - Machined the rotors...problem "fixed."
- November 2010 (22,300 miles) "Pulsating braking" - Measured rotors, etc. Found crack in the "friction meteirail" on the rear brake pads. Replaced brake pads. Problem "fixed."
- February 2011 (25,100 miles) "Grinding brakes" - Implemented TSB 10-17-03 (Replaced front brake rotors, pads and anchor brackets)

So, of course, I'm reading all of the forums and seeing the plethora of brake issues with these cars.
I'm also reading that many people have had TSB 10-17-03 done and the initial feedback was that it resolved the problem.
(note, the car also had the leaking moon roof issue (seems to have been fixed).

My questions are these. Has anyone that has had TSB 10-17-03 done, had further brake problems? Did it truly resolve the problem? Is this a "permanent" fix?

My wife will be depending on this vehicle, as she will be driving around it in for work everyday and hauling our two small children to their various activities. I just cannot deal with having this thing in the shop on a frequent basis, and would just like to hear from anyone that has had this TSB repair done to know if it has fully resolved the problem. I would hate to make a mistake by purchasing this car if I can anticipate further brake issues. I know repairs will mostly be covered under the warrantee, but I just don't want to buy a lemon. Overall, the car seems solid, but I'm just looking for others' experience with the TSB 10-17-03 fix.

By the way, these forums seem great and I really appreciate the information everyone shares.

Thanks!

Edited by NHFlexster, 22 August 2011 - 07:34 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   NHFlexster

NHFlexster

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

No responses so far. Hhhmmm.
Maybe TSB 10-17-03 worked so well that those people don't visit the "brakes" forum any longer? ;-)

Sorry for the long post last night. I'll simplify...

If you've had TSB 10-17-03 done on your Flex, did it fully resolve the brake problems? Or, did it only work for a short period of time before brake issues came up again?

If anyone has experience with this, it would be great to hear how it's worked out for you.

I'm actually scheduled to pick up the car on Tuesday (three days from now), so I have time to mull this over further and back out if needed.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has experience with this issue.

#3 OFFLINE   roblectric

roblectric

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

After several fixes with other tsb"s,,10-17-03 has done the trick with my 09.

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:20 AM

You're timeline doesn't make sense, I assume the final fix was Feb 2011, not 2010. If so, then you're good, the "final" brake fix was published in August 2010 and any fix after that (with TSB 10-17-3) uses new parts - the same ones used on the 2011 Explorer. TSB 11-5-15 is now out superseding 10-17-3, but it's nothing significantly different. you should be good to go.

#5 OFFLINE   NHFlexster

NHFlexster

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for replying. Appreciate the info.

Yes it seems I had a typo on the year of the last repair. Have fixed it in my original post.

Still not entirely sure if we're going to buy this car. In further review of the repairs, there have been a couple of other issues, including some leaking oil and rough idling (both of which have reportedly been "fixed"). So, on one hand, it seems like some key issues with this vehicle have been taken care of and it should be OK. On the other hand, and after reading these forums, it seems like there's any number of issues popping up with these vehicles, which is too bad since it seems to have everything we're looking for. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again.
If anyone else has info. on this TSB it'd be great to hear it.

Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

On the other hand, and after reading these forums, it seems like there's any number of issues popping up with these vehicles, which is too bad since it seems to have everything we're looking for. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks.

Please understand that the world of auto forums is not representative of the AVERAGE owners experience. Owners with problems for which they feel no recourse will visit and post on forums, owners that are major enthusiasts of a vehicle/brand/etc will post on forums. Mr & Mrs average owner never visit these places. Take what you see on any forum with a large grain of salt.

I belong to a forum for VW Passat's...I have owned mine for 7 years and it has been a wonderful experience and an ongoing joy to drive...IF I took all the bad news posts about this car to heart, I would be driving a Camry and wearing sensible shoes.

I hope this helps, FWIW, My wifes 2009 Flex has had the rear brakes done as part of a TSB, so far so good.

#7 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

...Still not entirely sure if we're going to buy this car. In further review of the repairs, there have been a couple of other issues, including some leaking oil and rough idling (both of which have reportedly been "fixed")...

NHFlexster,
Iím glad to see all the recommendations about whether to buy or not. Keep us in the loop with what you end up deciding. :)

Cory

#8 OFFLINE   Felex

Felex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

Have an '09 Limited. Brake grinding became serious around 30K. Ford did brake fix. Now have 51K miles and no brake problem. Yes, I believe the fix is permanent.

Best vehicle that I have ever owned.

#9 OFFLINE   Facewest

Facewest

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Flex

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

At the first sign of warping or grinding with my front brakes I am going to replace the rotors and pads. I will get a set of Power Slot Rotors pwr. 126.610945 and Hawk Pads D1377. I have 5200 miles on our Ford Flex and I can really feel the weight of the Flex under moderate braking over working the brakes a bit.

Edited by Facewest, 01 January 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   thishero

thishero

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Does anyone know if TSB 10-17-3 pertains to only certain models of the 2009 Flex. We have a 2009 Limited and when I told my local Ford dealer about the problem and about this TSB they told me my VIN does not allow for this fix... Which seems odd considering my car has these exact symptoms.

#11 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

Does anyone know if TSB 10-17-3 pertains to only certain models of the 2009 Flex. We have a 2009 Limited and when I told my local Ford dealer about the problem and about this TSB they told me my VIN does not allow for this fix... Which seems odd considering my car has these exact symptoms.

TSB 10-17-3 has been superseeded by 11-5-15. So ask the dealer about 11-5-15, it applies to all Flexes built before July 28th, 2010. Of course your dealer should have still been able to find 11-5-15 on their own given your description of the symptoms.

#12 OFFLINE   thishero

thishero

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Thanks Waldo,

After talking to the dealer you're right, he did tell me it was updated to 11-5-15. However they won't cover the problem because I called it a "vibration", but my service guy told me to come back in a couple of weeks and be sure to call it a "grinding noise" and it'll be covered... ah ok! I guess I'll see them in two weeks.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·