Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

wind noise

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   genercain

genercain

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex Limited

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

I just joined this group hoping to get better answers to issues then what comes from the dealer. I traded my 2008 Edge Limited for a new 2010 Flex Limited. I have about 8000 miles on the car and I do really like it. But the wind noise if so much more noticeable than the Edge. The dealer has driven it and said it is because of it's shape. So I am asking, " are other Flex owners hearing the same thing??" Any feedback would be great. The dealer has already fixed a broken latch on the center console and loose silver plastic cap on the outside mirrors. Thanks.

Gene

Edited by genercain, 07 August 2011 - 08:04 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   roblectric

roblectric

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

I also traded an08 Edge for my 09 Flex. I noticed no difference in wind noise. If anything , it was quieter than my Edge. Definitely more comfortable.

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

You probably have a loose A-pillar trim (the black piece between the windshield and the door).

#4 OFFLINE   genercain

genercain

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

You probably have a loose A-pillar trim (the black piece between the windshield and the door).

the dealer and I checked the pillar trim on both sides and they are very loose as compared to another Flex that was in for service. Since this dealer does not have a body shop they are not sure how to proceed. I will tell them that this piece needs to be tight if that is the case. Some of the noise seems to be coming from around the windows on all four doors. The dealer did take a ride and stated the noise is normal and that he could not feel any air actually coming in. I hope this is not the case as I am expecting a much quieter car for $43,000. Any help with a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Gene Cain

#5 OFFLINE   roblectric

roblectric

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

the dealer and I checked the pillar trim on both sides and they are very loose as compared to another Flex that was in for service. Since this dealer does not have a body shop they are not sure how to proceed. I will tell them that this piece needs to be tight if that is the case. Some of the noise seems to be coming from around the windows on all four doors. The dealer did take a ride and stated the noise is normal and that he could not feel any air actually coming in. I hope this is not the case as I am expecting a much quieter car for $43,000. Any help with a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Gene Cain

Try another dealer that does have a body shop. :shift:

#6 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:34 AM

You don't need a body shop to replace the A-pillar trim. Just order new ones and put them on. Do that before making any other decisions about the windows, you may find that it's the A-pillars causing all the problems. But the story about "air getting in" is the most ridiculous thing I've heard today. Air doesn't have to "come inside" the vehicle to make noise. I wouldn't trust any dealer that uses that as their diagnostic method.

#7 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

the dealer and I checked the pillar trim on both sides and they are very loose as compared to another Flex that was in for service. Since this dealer does not have a body shop they are not sure how to proceed...

Gene,
I saw that you sent me a private message, so I sent you a response back. If you havenít already, be sure to check your inbox for my reply.

Cory

#8 OFFLINE   genercain

genercain

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

Gene,
I saw that you sent me a private message, so I sent you a response back. If you havenít already, be sure to check your inbox for my reply.

Cory

Just to close the door on this issue. Another dealer replaced both pillars. They told me the clips were busted on both pillars. The wind noise is now greatly reduced. Thanks all the help.
Gene

#9 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:01 AM

...They told me the clips were busted on both pillars. The wind noise is now greatly reduced. Thanks all the help...

Gene,

Thatís great news it was taken care of for you! Iím happy to help. :D

Cory

#10 OFFLINE   brockdog12

brockdog12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 18 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hi everyone, I just traded off my Mountaineer for a 2009 Flex SEL and noticed the wind noise on both back doors up back corners, anyone had this problem? Very noticeable from the drivers seat at highway speed. Thank you!

#11 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:06 AM

Only thing i noticed is the bad noise if you drive with the windows down...I do have Ventvisors....wind noise is very noticeable... Use to it now...mentioned it on my new vehicle survey...

#12 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hi everyone, I just traded off my Mountaineer for a 2009 Flex SEL and noticed the wind noise on both back doors up back corners, anyone had this problem? Very noticeable from the drivers seat at highway speed. Thank you!

Is there a small gap between the rubber that runs along the top of the fixed rear door window and the door itself? That was a pretty common problem in 2009 and can be fairly easily fixed by re-installing the window.

#13 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

Welcome to the forum, brockdog12! Your Ford dealer can look into why thereís a wind noise. I recommend taking it in for a diagnosis. :)

BTW, I hope your side mirror is back in one piece.

Cory

#14 OFFLINE   brockdog12

brockdog12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

Thank you the replies everyone. Rear door seals seem to be in place and in tact, nothing missing or damaged. I did get my driver mirror replaced, took me about a half hour, nothing too tough. Still can't get my wiper arms off though, bending the puller I bought. I can take it in if I have to to the dealer but want to avoid that if possible. I have used them for a long time so maybe I can call and "ask" my service rep to check around, they have been good about that in the past.

#15 OFFLINE   brockdog12

brockdog12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Here is a followup to my previous post...I tried another wiper arm removal tool, success they popped right off. I cleaned under the cowl with a vacuum and compressed air and poured water, drains cleared. I don't think they were plugged enough to cause a slightly wet passenger floor when washing the truck or whe it rains. I have a solid roof vehicle. Heavy rains headed our way, we'll see. I'll keep checking the wind noise and if I have to, visit the dealer.

#16 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Thank you the replies everyone. Rear door seals seem to be in place and in tact, nothing missing or damaged...

...I have a solid roof vehicle. Heavy rains headed our way, we'll see. I'll keep checking the wind noise and if I have to, visit the dealer.

Thanks for posting those updates, brockdog12. :)

Cory

#17 OFFLINE   brockdog12

brockdog12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

I bought and placed a set of vent visors on the Flex. I had a fair amount of wind noise on the upper back corners of both back doors and now that has seemed to have subsided. I guess changing the airflow down the doors with the vent visors has taken care of the problem. I'll highway test it this weekend, but around town driving into the wind, the vehicle is much quieter.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·