Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Overheated

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Also--my check engine light never came on prior to this happening. 

Symptoms prior to overheating (which happened with a/c OFF and idling about 10 mins in Hawaii weather)

A/C had been running "outside" air at start up, as soon as I drove the vehicle it cooled immediately. Long idles it would cycle to "outside" feeling air, even though I had it set to max a/c and temp to 60 or whatever is the lowest. 

Fan ran loudly after vehicle was turned off. Ran about 3-8 seconds. 

That was my only warning, I am so grateful my car did not overheat in rush hour traffic!

Hi Susaninitaly,

There are a few options I can check into for you. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

#42 OFFLINE   Susaninitaly

Susaninitaly

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

Thank you Meagan, 

I'll send you a message. 

#43 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Thank you Meagan, 

I'll send you a message. 

I'll keep an eye out for it!

Meagan

#44 OFFLINE   juanoverpar

juanoverpar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hi Meagan,

We all appreciate your participation and PRIVATE message responsiveness in this forum!

But I wonder if you can help us ALL out by posting PUBLICLY some information about this fan controller module issue?

For example, can you clarify whether a TSB has been issued for it?

And what, if any, perspective Ford has on the problem and its costly affect on us customers?

Thanks!

#45 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Hi Meagan,

We all appreciate your participation and PRIVATE message responsiveness in this forum!

But I wonder if you can help us ALL out by posting PUBLICLY some information about this fan controller module issue?

For example, can you clarify whether a TSB has been issued for it?

And what, if any, perspective Ford has on the problem and its costly affect on us customers?

Thanks!

Hi juanoverpar,

I do not have access to information on TSB's, however, your Service Managers at your dealerships do. I also do not have any access to data about this concern. The best way to have it documented and sent up the chain is to be sure those with the concern make their way to their dealers to have it inspected and diagnosed.

I am able to look into options on an individual basis, and personal information is requested to be sent in a private message for the security and privacy of the individual and their information.

Meagan

#46 OFFLINE   juanoverpar

juanoverpar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Believe me -- when our Flexes start smoking and spilling fluid all over the street, we all make our way to the dealer!!

The reason we come HERE is because the dealer charges ~$1000 to fix the fan controller, and we all believe that's wrong.

And because this seems to be the only place where we can get any data/info about the concern, though I expect Ford has lots.

#47 OFFLINE   b_dogg720

b_dogg720

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Hi b_dogg720, 

Have you been to your dealer to have this diagnosed by the certified technicians? When you make an appointment, let me know and I'll check into some options.

Meagan

I'm considering buying the Motorcraft coolilng fan and control module assembly off Amazon for $240 and installing it myself.  If I take it to the dealer I believe they charge $120 just to hook it up to the diagnostic machine, then I still have to buy the parts and the $120 is basically just a waste of money unless the issue turns out to be something else.  I was hoping someone else out there had these same codes come up and they could state replacing the fan assy/module resolved the issue so I didn't have to pay the dealer. 

#48 OFFLINE   b_dogg720

b_dogg720

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Very sorry to clutter this thread up but I want to send a PM and unfortunately the forum requires 5 posts before you can PM.  So here is post 3.

#49 OFFLINE   b_dogg720

b_dogg720

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

and post 4

#50 OFFLINE   b_dogg720

b_dogg720

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

and post 5

#51 OFFLINE   Susaninitaly

Susaninitaly

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

I wanted to add that in my case, we have got the owner of the dealership involved and he is trying to see what options he can come up with for us. We have owned the vehicle almost a month and have only had possession of it for 17 days of that due to being back at the dealership for repairs, the cooling fan the major one. We STILL have 2 more issues to resolve before this vehicle is functioning normally.

#52 OFFLINE   dougrparker

dougrparker

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

Is there a known issue with the Flex cooling fans?  I have not seen any recall noticed.  If there have been a lot of fan issues why is Ford not recalling the issue?  I am sitting in the dealership now having my 2009 flex cooling fan replaced at a cost of $850 and guess what, my warranty expired in March of this year.    

#53 OFFLINE   mshroc

mshroc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Flex SEL AWD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

I am in the same boat as everyone else. My 2009 Flex SEL AWD (54700 miles) is in the shop with a bad fan assembly and water pump. I am beyond angry that this repair, which in most other cars, even Fords, would run at most $1000 - this will run $2500 due to the need to lift the engine to replace the water pump.

Of course there are two TSBs about cooling issues - and Ford is not doing a recall.

2009 Ford Flex Engine And Engine Cooling Service Bulletin 313124

2009 Ford Flex Engine And Engine Cooling Service Bulletin 311960

What the heck??

#54 OFFLINE   klandmk

klandmk

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Flex

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

I am having the same problem! I joined this forum just to post. I was apprehensive to buy a ford but I absolutely ADORE my Flex. I bought it in December of 2013 and it's been in the shop continuously since then. Brakes THREE TIMES ALREADY, the passenger side lock does not unlock automatically, the outside door handle has a piece that just fell off and now the overheating.  It started when it was idling as I ran in to a store while my husband waited for me in the car. Now it does it randomly if in traffic, etc.  My mechanic says it's because the fan isn't turning on and the part is only available through the dealer at a cost of around $628. He said he will have to replace the fan and motor (I don't know what a module is some of you have mentioned but I assume it's the same) as they don't come separate. I guess I'm going to replace it but I'm so disappointed in this car as I really do love it. I can't afford a car payment and repair payments LITERALLY EVERY MONTH. I bought the car used and as is so I figure I won't even bother to call Ford but I won't buy another. In fact, I'm thinking of trading it in!

#55 OFFLINE   klandmk

klandmk

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

Oh and I forgot to mention it's a 2009 SEL model with around 80,000 miles on it.

#56 OFFLINE   0rgree0

0rgree0

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:27 AM

The "Flex Fan of Death" has happened to our 2009 Flex for the third time now. The first time was with only a few thousand miles on the car and was covered by warranty. The second time the fans died was after the factory warranty expired, however, we had an extended warranty and it was covered. This time there is no warranty so I'm taking it to the dealership and we'll see what happens. I'll post the outcome here.

#57 OFFLINE   Kris Williams

Kris Williams

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex Limited

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

Just had a quote Monday from Coconut Point Ford to replace my radiator fan on my 2009 ford flex with only 47,102 miles on it. $950!  And they charged me 103.80 just for the quote! I thought perhaps the price would be less now that they have had to replace so many.  I guess I was wrong. 

Has anyone found a good replacement I can install myself cheaper?

I first started having problems with my a/c last summer. I just found out lately that it was my fan not working intermittently.  Sometimes it runs and sometimes it doesn't. It overheated on my the first time a couple months ago when I was in stop and go heavy traffic. I had to pull over and let it cool. Then it was fine, for a while. I then had overheating problems from time to time on idle. At first I didn't notice the fan not working. The a/c would blow warm air on idle, so I thought it was just low on refrigerant.  So I took it to a tire place and they told me that my compressor was shot and wanted $1200 to fix it.  I then took it to the Ford dealer for a second opinion. Interestingly they told me my a/c was fine and it was just my cooling fan.  Well at least I didn't pay the $1200 and have it still not work. I am curious to see if the a/c does work after I fix the fan because now it wont blow cold air at all. Perhaps it is all broke!

2FMDK52C99BA32890

#58 OFFLINE   afann1

afann1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

I have a 2009 Ford Flex and it has been overheating for some time now. It only happens when I'm sitting idle or sick in traffic....well at least that is what it was doing. Now, it is overheating when I've driven for about twenty minutes. I cut it off and it's cool. Drive another twenty and it's hot again. I took it in to the dealer where I bought it and they want $600 for a cooling fan module. I'm don't have that kind of money right now. Ford needs to recall this asap. Now my check engine light is on and my car is under a powertrain warranty, but they are saying that this is not considered a powertrain issue.

Edited by afann1, 21 April 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:27 PM

Welcome to the Forum and sorry to hear of your problem.

It is a known issue, there is a Technical Service Bulletin for it here for you to download: http://fordflexforum...x-tsbs/?p=14245

It has never been a Recall and if you are out of warranty and the Ford Dealer's price is too high, shop around local quality repair shops for a better price.

The OEM Cooling Fan assembly is around $400 at a discount price.

http://www.tascapart...ooling-fan-scat

#60 OFFLINE   juanoverpar

juanoverpar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:51 AM

Technical Service Bulletin = Dealer Revenue Opportunity.  The more TSBs the merrier the Dealers!  Which is why owners will continue to have to pick up the cost of this faulty part.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·