Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Overheated

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Just got  phone call from wife. She is in a parking lot with an overheated 2009 Ford Flex. Cooling fans not coming on. Already had module replaced. Need some help on this topic.

Hi Firetechandy,

I'd like to look into this, send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, dealer name/location, your best daytime phone number, and your full name. 

Meagan

#22 OFFLINE   Firetechandy

Firetechandy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Flex

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

test

#23 OFFLINE   Firetechandy

Firetechandy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

test post

#24 OFFLINE   Satweed

Satweed

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

I am also having an overheating problem.  The air conditioner spews hot air from the air conditioner when I am idling and overheats if I am idling in traffic for too long.  Is this something that I should take to Ford?  Or, if my husband works on it, would he look at the fans themselves or the controllers?

Thanks,

Sarah

#25 OFFLINE   kstringerford

kstringerford

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'm having the overheating problems as well with my 2009 Ford Flex. I took my car in to have the air conditioner fixed and spent $250 to leave and have my car still blowing hot air when I came to a red light or any traffic stop. My car overheated a few days later and I noticed tonight that neither of my fans are blowing now.

#26 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

I'm having the overheating problems as well with my 2009 Ford Flex. I took my car in to have the air conditioner fixed and spent $250 to leave and have my car still blowing hot air when I came to a red light or any traffic stop. My car overheated a few days later and I noticed tonight that neither of my fans are blowing now.

Hi kstringerford,

Welcome to the forum!

I'd like to see how I can assist you. Could you please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, dealer name/location, your best daytime phone number, and your full name.

Meagan

Edited by FordCustomerService, 10 July 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   juanoverpar

juanoverpar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Wow, it seems this fan controller module problem is happening quite a bit :(  

There's about a dozen examples in this thread alone, and if you just google "ford flex cooling fan module" or similar there are many other similar posts about Flex and other Ford cooling fan problems, all sounding exactly the same as the problem described here.

I've been doing some digging into cooling fan problems trying to understand it better and while there's many references to TSBs, I found no specific reference numbers.  But there are specifics about a recent recall (sorry, "Customer Satisfaction Program"!) for certain Flexes related to the cooling fans.  

Of course, my 2009 is not [yet] included, but clearly there have been cooling fan problems across the spectrum of Flexes and even other Ford models (Explorers and others that perhaps share the same parts). 

In addition to this one, below are a bunch of related posts that came up on Google, the reference in the first link below is to Customer Satisfaction Program #12836...

I certainly appreciate Ford customer service reaching out about this (thanks Meagan!), but has anyone gotten any useful information back from Ford about this problem?  I have not yet, and remain confused and upset by my costly experience with it.  

I simply don't understand why I had to pay ~$1000 for what seems like poor design and poor build quality?  I suppose the design value of replacing a $5 fan belt with a complex $1000 computerized cooling fan module is debatable, but if Ford's gonna do that, they should at least make sure the $1000 module is built to last longer than 45k miles (in my case).  

Based on this thread and some others above, it seems there are quite a few unlucky customers like me.

#28 OFFLINE   LAdreams

LAdreams

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Same problem here... Two nights ago I was picking up my daughter, in from college, in downtown Atlanta (50 mile south of home) and the engine of my 2009 FLEX overheated as I got onto the I85 expressway. It very quickly started to sputter and decelerate, almost causing an accident. Long story made much shorter; it is now in the shop with a diagnosis of a blown cooling fan module and a repair bill of $900 (plus taxi fare to get home). I am just now reading all of the posts of folks with the same fan issue, both on this site and others. I am supposed to pick up my repaired car tomorrow and I will be discussing this situation with the Service Manager. Based on my previous experience with FORD, it most likely will not be a pleasant day!

This is my 4th new Ford automobile and most likely my last. I was expecting a much better experience with my $45,000 FLEX than what I have received. At 20,000 it had a grinding noise coming from the brakes. I had it in the shop 3 times before the dealership admitted that there was a TSB issued for this problem. However, it was now out of warranty for the issue and I was handed a $850 repair bill. The rear lift gate does not open from the door switch, the center row folding seat has been in the shop 3 times for jamming and it is currently jammed (not allowing the seat to fold up), the center console latch (plastic) is broken and last month while opening the driver's side door latch it fell off onto the street, only to realize that it was made of cheap plastic that broke and it cost me $200 to get it repaired.

With the above mentioned brake situation I worked my complaint up to a regional representative that simply stated "that's why we sell extended warranties. You don't have one so pay the $850". Dealing with an inferior car and a company that doesn't seem to care about their issues is too frustrating for me to want to continue receiving the abuse. My other car is a $15K Hyundai with a $100K mileage warranty and a very accommodating service department. Hey FORD... What's wrong with this picture?

#29 OFFLINE   Firetechandy

Firetechandy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

You can purchase a new fan and module from Rockauto for about $275.00. It comes in one kit. 45 minutes later your problem is solved. I am very pleased with that purchase and installation.

#30 OFFLINE   juanoverpar

juanoverpar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

If that's true, I sure wish Ford had pointed it out as an alternative to the ~$1000 bill they presented to me.

#31 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

The parts to fix the brakes are just a little over $100.  Sounds like the dealer's out to make some money.

Also the rear liftgate switch can be turned off in the message center.  Have you checked that setting?

#32 OFFLINE   LAdreams

LAdreams

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

The parts to fix the brakes are just a little over $100.  Sounds like the dealer's out to make some money.

Also the rear liftgate switch can be turned off in the message center.  Have you checked that setting?

Waldo:  I'll check out the message center, as suggested, for the lift gate situation. Regarding the brakes, that was about 2 years ago and I don't remember the exact parts that were replaced. However, I do remember that they told me it was a major component that they could not repair for less than $850. The dealer should be profitable but not rip into everyone, far and above what all of the other mechanical shops are charging for the same service.

My neighborhood shop quoted me a cost of $650 to replace  my current issue (cooling fan/module) while the dealer is trying to charge me $925. I called another FORD dealership to find out that the parts retail for $650 and they would sell it to me for $500 plus $356 in labor for 3.5 hours of work. Of course, it needs to get fixed and then I'll be wondering whats going to break next. Not too happy right now.

#33 OFFLINE   LAdreams

LAdreams

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:43 AM

Waldo, on 23 Sept 2013 - 15:19, said:snapback.png

Waldo:  I picked up my FLEX yesterday, paid the $795 bill to repair the cooling fan issue and gave them a laundry list of all of the issues that I have had with the car since I purchased it. The rep looked over the list and just said "sorry that you are having so many problems with your car". No mention of your lift gate remedy. However, when I got home I fixed the issue through the message center on the dashboard. THANK YOU FOR THAT SUGGESTION!

#34 OFFLINE   dananderson

dananderson

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford FLEX

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

Mine is a 2009 Ford FLEX.  I had the cooling fan module assembly replaced in May 2011 (no cost, under warranty), and then again in October 2012 at a cost of $778, then again in September 2013 at a cost of $265 (supposedly because Ford wouldn't warranty the earlier work because I was not the original owner of the vehicle so the dealership picked up the rest of the cost) and then again in October 2013 (this time at no cost since it was less than a month after the last work).  My a/c is already starting to blow warm again from time to time, a sure sign that this latest one is going to be failing soon.  If this issue does not warrant a recall and substantial fix (not just replacing the same part and keeping their fingers crossed that it wont fail again) then I don't know what does...

I love the FLEX, but will never buy another one as this has really left a bad taste.  In fact, I am so upset that this issue has been allowed to continue without significant intervention that it is doubtful I will buy any Ford product in the future.  Is anybody at Ford listening?  Does anybody care?

#35 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Mine is a 2009 Ford FLEX.  I had the cooling fan module assembly replaced in May 2011 (no cost, under warranty), and then again in October 2012 at a cost of $778, then again in September 2013 at a cost of $265 (supposedly because Ford wouldn't warranty the earlier work because I was not the original owner of the vehicle so the dealership picked up the rest of the cost) and then again in October 2013 (this time at no cost since it was less than a month after the last work).  My a/c is already starting to blow warm again from time to time, a sure sign that this latest one is going to be failing soon.  If this issue does not warrant a recall and substantial fix (not just replacing the same part and keeping their fingers crossed that it wont fail again) then I don't know what does...

I love the FLEX, but will never buy another one as this has really left a bad taste.  In fact, I am so upset that this issue has been allowed to continue without significant intervention that it is doubtful I will buy any Ford product in the future.  Is anybody at Ford listening?  Does anybody care?

Hi dananderson,

I'm listening! Send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, dealer name/location, and your full name [though, I'm just going to assume your username *is* your full name...but just to be sure, I have to ask. :)] I want to check into some options to see how I can best assist.

Meagan

#36 OFFLINE   b_dogg720

b_dogg720

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

We have a 2009 Flex.  A couple of months ago we noticed that the fan began to run for 5-10 seconds after the engine was shut off and with the engine at idle we could hear the fan running much faster than usual.  This was in October in Iowa so this didn't seem correct with the temps at that time.  Other than that, there were on other issues.  Last weekend the check engine light came on and remains on.  I had the codes read at AutoZone and they were:

P0480: Cooling fan primary circuit condition, Explanation: The engine cooling fan relay circuit is monitored for opens and shorts, Probable Cause: Cooling fan relay defective, Check connector and wiring

P0607: Control module performance, Explanation: The ECM has an internal error, Probable Cause: Program ECM, Failed ECM

The issues (fan running fast, staying on after engine off) seem consistent with this post and many other postings out there.  Has anyone else had their codes read and were they the same as these?  Has anyone been successful at getting Ford to cover this out of warranty?  Seems Ford should help customers out since there is a known common issue.

#37 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Is there a T.S.B. on this?

#38 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

We have a 2009 Flex.  A couple of months ago we noticed that the fan began to run for 5-10 seconds after the engine was shut off and with the engine at idle we could hear the fan running much faster than usual.  This was in October in Iowa so this didn't seem correct with the temps at that time....

Hi b_dogg720, 

Have you been to your dealer to have this diagnosed by the certified technicians? When you make an appointment, let me know and I'll check into some options.

Meagan

#39 OFFLINE   Susaninitaly

Susaninitaly

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

I actually also just joined this forum just about this issue. I purchased my 2009 Ford Flex from the local Ford dealership in the middle of December. I have had NOTHING but issues. They sold me a car in which the rear left seat didn't fold to allow access to the 3rd row, the passenger seat was broken (would not move), a/c ran hot at idle, driver's window makes a horrible scraping sound when you lower it, and is missing a seat buckle in the middle row, rendering that seat useless. They also only sold me 1 key and didn't know the code to enter the car. Most of these issues I found out while checking the car out while it was on the lot, and having them put in writing their intent to repair these items.  The refused to give me a 2nd key. Who buys a 7 seater family vehicle and only gives 1 key? And the car was nearly out of gas when I left the lot!  So the day after I bought the car, I returned to have the work done for these various issues. They ended up keeping the vehicle for an entire week. Many items are STILL not repaired, I am still missing a seat buckle and the window scrapes but the main issue I know how is the vehicle completely overheated last night. 

I was running an errand to a friend and was letting the car idle on the street while I picked up an item from my friend. She said to me, is that smoke? I immediately ran to the car, turned it off, grabbed my purse out of the car and backed away. I noticed when I turned the vehicle off, the temperature gauge was set on H and the temperature light on the dash was on. My vehicle had just overheated. Also all over the road was some sort of liquid and lots of it. It was dark so I was unable to see what it was.  I called a tow, and then had to call the dealership to ask to hold the lot open for me (it was past 8, which was their closing time) and by chance I got my sale man on the phone and he told me he would. 

Today my service advisor told me it was the cooling fan, as I suspected from reading these forums. He needs the car a few days to make the repair. At this point I've had my car TWO WEEKS since the day after I bought it they needed it a week for repairs.  He wants to charge my ESP plan for this, $100 deductible. I told him no way, this is a Ford Flex issue and I am not paying for it. We had a disagreement and he told me he'd talk to someone (not sure who) about what to do, but he basically played dumb, saying he's never heard of this issue. I told him there was a service bulletin about this VERY issue, and he didn't even know what that was. 

At this point I am so mad about buying this vehicle. My family has always been a Ford family (2 relatives retired from plants) but this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. 

Prior to the vehicle overheating, the fan had been running after the car was turned off (loudly) and the a/c would run outside air at idle when I first started the car. I told the dealership when I bought the car about the a/c not functioning correctly and they told me they could not replicate it. I bet if they ran the codes they'd find a fan code!!  I am now also concerned about engine damage caused by the overheating. 

#40 OFFLINE   Susaninitaly

Susaninitaly

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

Also--my check engine light never came on prior to this happening. 

Symptoms prior to overheating (which happened with a/c OFF and idling about 10 mins in Hawaii weather)

A/C had been running "outside" air at start up, as soon as I drove the vehicle it cooled immediately. Long idles it would cycle to "outside" feeling air, even though I had it set to max a/c and temp to 60 or whatever is the lowest. 

Fan ran loudly after vehicle was turned off. Ran about 3-8 seconds. 

That was my only warning, I am so grateful my car did not overheat in rush hour traffic!

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·