Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Overheated

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aquamanchef

aquamanchef

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Flex

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

I just bought a 2011 Flex Limited a week and a half ago. It has 1000 miles on it and it OVERHEATED! I couldn't believe it. Is this a common problem? The needled was pegged on hot. Do I have a lemon? It ran fine up to that point.

#2 OFFLINE   robibb

robibb

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex SEL,Steel Blue Metallic Paint, Medium Light Stone Leather

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

I just bought a 2011 Flex Limited a week and a half ago. It has 1000 miles on it and it OVERHEATED! I couldn't believe it. Is this a common problem? The needled was pegged on hot. Do I have a lemon? It ran fine up to that point.

Wow I have read alot of posts but this is the first one with this issue.... Well I would go back to the dealership first. Then if you dont trust what they are doing to resolve the issue then I would up the chain. Find the dealership owner and voice your concern and then the BBB and the go to the big guns the states attorney general. All free to the consumer. Oh yeah call the Ford company if the dealership drags there feet as well. Ford could nudge them or tell you to goto another dealership that they have a good relationship to take care of the problem. Good luck and keep us posted!

#3 OFFLINE   aquamanchef

aquamanchef

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for your reply. Better believe I went to the dealership. I was prepared for the worst and much to my suprise they were understanding and extremely accomidating. The problem was with an electric cooling fan failure. The service department said there was a bad lot of fans, a thecnical bulliten about them, and soon to be a recall on them as a result of the failures. The A/C shutting down was a protection measure. The delearship is trading me out of that car and into another. They are totally stepping up. I am very impressed. Im going to ask them for the run/serial number of the fan so I can make sure the replacement flex does not have the same issue. I will ask about the breaks and the water pump issues I have read about in other posts and keep you posted as I find out more. Thanks for your help. C.

#4 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for your reply. Better believe I went to the dealership. I was prepared for the worst and much to my suprise they were understanding and extremely accomidating. The problem was with an electric cooling fan failure. The service department said there was a bad lot of fans, a thecnical bulliten about them, and soon to be a recall on them as a result of the failures. The A/C shutting down was a protection measure. The delearship is trading me out of that car and into another. They are totally stepping up. I am very impressed. Im going to ask them for the run/serial number of the fan so I can make sure the replacement flex does not have the same issue. I will ask about the breaks and the water pump issues I have read about in other posts and keep you posted as I find out more. Thanks for your help. C.

Iím really glad to hear your dealer took care of this for you. Please donít hesitate to let me know if thereís any way I can help!

Cory

#5 OFFLINE   pafordflex2011

pafordflex2011

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

This just happened to my wife and I this past weekend. Ours has 5900 miles on it. Had to call roadside assistance and have it towed. I was upset, but more upset with the roadside assistance. That is another post for another place. Anyway there is a TSB out on the cooling fans so Ford knows about the issue. Wish they would have recalled this because as far as I am concerned being broken down on the side of the road for 4 hours with 3 kids in the car, is a safety issue.

#6 OFFLINE   Tmtoprakci

Tmtoprakci

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

My 2011 Ford Flex with about 3964 miles OVERHEATED on last Thursday night (11/10/2011) and stalled without any warning on a Southern California freeway. I was lucky that it was late in the night with very light traffic.... I do not want to think the otherwise...... This is a major safety issue.. Next morning we took the car to the dealer around 7:30am and explained the problems and informed them that we are concerned about the condition of the engine. We were informed that they would investigate and call us to let us know what was the issue. They did not call back and we called in the afternoon and then we were informed that cooling fan was broken/not working. Also car woul not be ready on Friday. We picked up the car on Saturday.... Cooling fan was replaced but we were not given a clear and complete information on the condition of the engine.. We asked again and we were told that the engine was fine... We have been a long time customer of this dealership and been extremely happy with them but I believe we are not being told about the real facts this time and I think they are being negligent on this matter. Anyway, we are going to get the engine checked at an independent repair shop and we will be contacting the Ford company and other related parties to report this case. Engine overheating and stopping without any warning is a major safety issue and wanted to share this experience with other Flex owners.

Edited by Tmtoprakci, 15 November 2011 - 12:56 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   LoisGoughnourThompson

LoisGoughnourThompson

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

My 2011 Flex overheated while I was in the drive-thru. As soon as I left the restaurant and got the car moving, the temperature dropped quickly and the temperature light went out. I read on this forum regarding some issues with the cooling fan. I called Huntington Beach Ford this morning, took the car in at 10:30, picked it up at 3pm and I am now the proud owner of a brand new cooling fan. Getting info from this forum was really helpful - thank you!

#8 OFFLINE   samarelli

samarelli

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Flex Limited

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thanksgiving day (2011)... entering Holland Tunnel Overheated... Nice... Had towing with Insurance and Ford but no one would come to Manhattan on Thanksgiving day for the amount they would pay.... Ended paying someone $150 (Cash) to get the Flex to Jersey City where the Dealer replaced the Electric Fan on Black Friday..... I then was able return to Virginia. Considering the 2013 model, I hope some of the issues have been addressed.

#9 OFFLINE   lloydsflex

lloydsflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Flex

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

I just bought a 2009 Flex with 55k on it in July, and we love it, but the cooling, a/c fans have begun working intermitently, since i bought it used, from a lexus dealer and i work on my own cars, I didn't get a warranty. I scanned the computer and it showed a "cooling circuit fault", can't remember the exact code. A fellow mechanic friend who had worked on a couple of different flexes with similar problems suggested i replace the cooling fan module / relay, which I did, and its still working intermittently. When I called to order the part, I talked to the service department to see if there was a TSB on it and he said no. But I see in some of the other posts that this might not be true. My flex only got hot once when the fans were not working and it was sitting idling for a long time. Usually it seems that the fans are not coming on when the a/c is working and then when it warms up, the fans come on to cool the radiator, and then of course the a/c starts cooling, otherwise the a/c only cools when we are moving down the road and air is moving through the radiator / condensor, that is unless I'm trying to diagnose the problem and the fans start working as they should. :-( Any repair information or experiences would be helpful before I go off the reservation and decide to bypass the computer and install some aftermarket fans and relays...

#10 OFFLINE   juanoverpar

juanoverpar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

i have a 2009 ford flex and the cooling fan controller just went.  before this the fan would stay on for lengthy periods after turning ignition off.  now the cooling fans just don't work, so car overheats very quickly.  do some googling and you'll see it's a common problem, apparently ford knows about it and has issued a technical bulletin and is now using a different fan module, but that doesn't help the early buyers like me.  too bad they gave up on the simple fan belt.  this repair will cost me over $900.  nearly $600 for the controller module alone.

#11 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

i have a 2009 ford flex and the cooling fan controller just went.  before this the fan would stay on for lengthy periods after turning ignition off.  now the cooling fans just don't work, so car overheats very quickly.  do some googling and you'll see it's a common problem, apparently ford knows about it and has issued a technical bulletin and is now using a different fan module, but that doesn't help the early buyers like me.  too bad they gave up on the simple fan belt.  this repair will cost me over $900.  nearly $600 for the controller module alone.

Hi juanoverpar,

Shoot me a PM with your details so I can look into this. Please include your VIN, mileage, dealer, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

#12 OFFLINE   Desmond Smith

Desmond Smith

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

I just got a call from my dealership this morning about the Fan module as well!  Our 2009 overheated with the wife and kids in the car yesterday here in Seattle.  I checked the forums, saw online that this was an issue and asked about the cost of the repair ($970) and shouldn't it be covered since this is a known issue from Ford.  The repair lady said "no" and that she doesn't have any recalls on this module issue - but that is exactly what they are going to replace tomorrow (go figure - they don't have the part in stock).  Very disappointed because the same issue happened to my parents and their dealership in Vancouver, WA stepped up and took care of them.  I understand things can go wrong, but this is the second time I am now paying for bad engineering/quality with Ford.  Previously we had a problem with our Escape liftgate.  I don't feel like I can continue to purchase Ford products with "know issues that are not backed up by the company.

#13 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

I just got a call from my dealership this morning about the Fan module as well!  Our 2009 overheated with the wife and kids in the car yesterday here in Seattle.  I checked the forums, saw online that this was an issue and asked about the cost of the repair ($970) and shouldn't it be covered since this is a known issue from Ford.  The repair lady said "no" and that she doesn't have any recalls on this module issue - but that is exactly what they are going to replace tomorrow (go figure - they don't have the part in stock)....

Hi Desmond,

Welcome to the forum, nice to meet you.

I'd like to take a look at this for you. Please private message me your VIN, current mileage, dealer name/location, your best daytime number, and full name (if it's not the same as your username.)

Thanks,

Meagan

#14 OFFLINE   juanoverpar

juanoverpar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

Hi juanoverpar,

Shoot me a PM with your details so I can look into this. Please include your VIN, mileage, dealer, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

strangely, I'm not allowed to private message until I've made 5 posts.  so this is post #2... 

#15 OFFLINE   juanoverpar

juanoverpar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

strangely, I'm not allowed to private message until I've made 5 posts.  so this is post #2... 

and post #3

#16 OFFLINE   juanoverpar

juanoverpar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

and post #3

and #4

#17 OFFLINE   juanoverpar

juanoverpar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

and #4

sorry about the clutter, but i hope i've now fulfilled my obligation to be an active member so i can now use the forum the way i need!

#18 OFFLINE   ang0314

ang0314

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

I have/had the same problem with my 2009 Flex.  First, the car overheated and I had to get towed to my service station.  He changed the radiator cap, stating that he believed it wasn't holding the pressure.  So far, since then, the car hasn't overheated; but, now the air conditioner only cools if I am driving.  If I am stopped at all (red light, traffic, etc.), then it is like a sauna.  I searched the Internet regarding this problem and have found that it is a common one.  I brought it to the Ford dealer where I bought the car, and they said it is the cooling fan assembly and thermostat.  A whopping $1,355.00 bill, which is absolutely obscene.  I e-mailed the dealer before I brought my car in to let them know what was happening with the car and that I was losing my faith in Ford (since Ford knows there is a problem with this and does not want to keep their old customers happy), and they still didn't do the right thing.  The problem should be fixed for everyone, not just the newbies.  We spent a lot of money for our Flexs too, and would like known problems fixed so we could enjoy our cars too.  It is unfortunate that Ford is getting like the rest of them - all about the profit and not about the customer's satisfaction.  But, what I guess they don't realize is that without customers, they wouldn't be here.  It's just a shame.

#19 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

I have/had the same problem with my 2009 Flex...

Hi ang0314,

Welcome to the forum!

I’d like to check into this; Send me a private message with your VIN, current mileage, dealer name/location, your best daytime phone number, and your full name.

Meagan 

#20 OFFLINE   Firetechandy

Firetechandy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Flex

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Just got  phone call from wife. She is in a parking lot with an overheated 2009 Ford Flex. Cooling fans not coming on. Already had module replaced. Need some help on this topic.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·