Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Front clanking noise over bumps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Th3R00st3r

Th3R00st3r

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

This started yesterday. I have a 2009 Ford Flex Limited. When going over small bumps in the road, even the little turtles, there is a clanking noise. My first thought was motor mount, then I thought it may be a shock or strut. I pulled over and bounced on the front of the vehicle and could hear the noise on the downs, but not the ups. Like something is loose , or a bushing is missing. After a brief inspection, I couldn't see anything wrong. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Thanks. I am new to the forum!

**EDIT**

Ok after scouring the net, and this forum I have several suggestions as to what it might be.
1. Sway Bar End Links
2. Stabalizer Bar Link (same as above??) Kit 5486AT
3. Brake Calipers ("had too much clearance. Thousands of inch; early produciton. Brackets replaced with later produciton, noise gone." from another fourm..)
4. Computer or some other "box" comes loose from the firewall. Excerpt from another post "The problem was with the firewall but it seems that the bumping problem came from another metal part that was indeed banging on the firewall. They repositioned the part and it is now quite. To access the part "metal part- as described by Serv Rep" the front cover under the windshield wipers had to be removed (but this is what the service rep told me and I take his information very lightly)."

So At least I have some things to go on to tell the mechanics.

Edited by Th3R00st3r, 01 July 2011 - 09:38 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Th3R00st3r

Th3R00st3r

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Well,

Thanks for all the replies!

I took it to the dealer as it was still under warranty, only at 31K miles. They test drove it and put a noise detector all over the front end. They dropped the suspension and reported that the sway bar link was not torqued to factory specification. They torqued it to specs and tighted the chasis bolts as well (don't know if they were loose or not.) Problem solved, not cost.

This started yesterday. I have a 2009 Ford Flex Limited. When going over small bumps in the road, even the little turtles, there is a clanking noise. My first thought was motor mount, then I thought it may be a shock or strut. I pulled over and bounced on the front of the vehicle and could hear the noise on the downs, but not the ups. Like something is loose , or a bushing is missing. After a brief inspection, I couldn't see anything wrong. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Thanks. I am new to the forum!

**EDIT**

Ok after scouring the net, and this forum I have several suggestions as to what it might be.
1. Sway Bar End Links
2. Stabalizer Bar Link (same as above??) Kit 5486AT
3. Brake Calipers ("had too much clearance. Thousands of inch; early produciton. Brackets replaced with later produciton, noise gone." from another fourm..)
4. Computer or some other "box" comes loose from the firewall. Excerpt from another post "The problem was with the firewall but it seems that the bumping problem came from another metal part that was indeed banging on the firewall. They repositioned the part and it is now quite. To access the part "metal part- as described by Serv Rep" the front cover under the windshield wipers had to be removed (but this is what the service rep told me and I take his information very lightly)."

So At least I have some things to go on to tell the mechanics.

#3 OFFLINE   TBAX

TBAX

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

Took my 2010 Flex in yesterday for noise over bumps problem and was told Driver side rear bushing and knuckle needs replacing. 2.5 years old w/ 43k miles and NOT under the 7yr. warranty I purchased. Charging $825 plus tax to repair. What gives? Had to replace two front tires already due to severe negative camber wear. I hope this isn't a sign that the suspension isn't properly supported thus leading to more problems in the future. Any advice?

Edited by TBAX, 22 August 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

Took my 2010 Flex in yesterday for noise over bumps problem and was told Driver side rear bushing and knuckle needs replacing. 2.5 years old w/ 43k miles and NOT under the 7yr. warranty I purchased. Charging $825 plus tax to repair. What gives? Had to replace two front tires already due to severe negative camber wear. I hope this isn't a sign that the suspension isn't properly supported thus leading to more problems in the future. Any advice?

I don't get it, what's clunking, the rear bushing or the knuckle? They are different parts that don't interface with each other. If it's the rear bushing, then you can replace it separately, you don't need to replace the whole control arm. Should be about $150 in parts and no more than 1 hour labor. The only thing in the knuckle that seems likely to clunk is the lower ball joint, but that joint is actually in the control arm, not the knuckle. And what kind of a warranty doesn't cover ball joints? The knuckle itself is just a big chunk of metal. It doesn't have anything that moves or could wear.

I've never heard of severe camber wear on both front tires, do you have any alignment specs to show how much camber you have? Front camber is not adjustable though you can sometimes shift it from one side to the other. But if you did have a bad ball joint or bad bushing it could affect the toe, which could lead to premature tire wear.

Sounds like you need a second opinion.

Edited by Waldo, 23 August 2012 - 05:25 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Floridianman

Floridianman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 limited

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

what level of 7 year/100,000 mile warranty did you purchase?  i see that in the premium care two kinds of items covered 

• kingpins and bushing
  • linkage and bushings

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·