Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Noise and unwanted braking when turning out of parking lot.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

This has happened 4 times recently with our 2009 Flex (20,000 miles).

As we turn out of a parking lot, the car suddenly makes a loud grinding sound and slows down abruptly, as if the Traction Control had kicked in and caused braking on one of the front wheels. This is at under 5 MPH, and not turning into a busy street but a side street. Can be right or left turn. We can't make it happen, it just happens. I'm taking it in next week for service.

Anybody else with the same situation?

#2 OFFLINE   jgold

jgold

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:30 AM

We are experiencing the same thing with our 2009 flex with 26,000.... talked with FORD and Dealership and they said they cannot replicate the problem...... I am so frustrated we are thinking of selling the flex.
The sound is so loud you would think you are dragging a metal garbage can under the vehicle.

Jim

#3 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

Flagstaff & jgold,

I can imagine that a noise like this would be disconcerting (especially if itís not easily replicated), and I would like to offer to assist. If you send me a private message with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage, I can help in any way I can.

Cory

#4 OFFLINE   jgold

jgold

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

Flagstaff & jgold,

I can imagine that a noise like this would be disconcerting (especially if itís not easily replicated), and I would like to offer to assist. If you send me a private message with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage, I can help in any way I can.

Cory

Well another Ford Dealership checked the FLEX.......... guess what... We cannot duplicate the problem................... why am I not surprised............................... asked them to check for software update and they basically said no.. if we cannot duplicate we cannot fix it................................ WHAT NOW.. sale the vehicle... go after a leamon law YELL until someone listens................

Jim

#5 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:54 AM

jgold, Iím sorry to hear that they were still unable to duplicate the issue. I see that you were called after your concern was escalated. Please keep me posted on if there is anything else I can do.

Cory

#6 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

Well another Ford Dealership checked the FLEX.......... guess what... We cannot duplicate the problem................... why am I not surprised............................... asked them to check for software update and they basically said no.. if we cannot duplicate we cannot fix it................................ WHAT NOW.. sale the vehicle... go after a leamon law YELL until someone listens................

Jim

My Flex was just repaired yesterday by my dealer in Flagstaff. They applied TSB 10-7-2. As you know, the problem can't be replicated on command, so the only test I can make to see if it's really repaired is to wait until it happens again, hoping for "never."

BTW, the noise I had wasn't quite what you described, but we HAVE had just such a noise in the past, without the brake problem. Couldn't be replicated, so couldn't be fixed, but it happened only a few times. This brake problem happened at least four times within a month or two, maybe five times, so it was imperative that it be fixed.

#7 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

Flagstaff & jgold,

Cory

Thanks, Cory. My reply to jgold above contains my current situation. If the matter turns out to be unresolved, I will accept your offer to help.

There seem to be many little things that go wrong with the Flex. At 21,000 miles, it looks like I need new tires due to alignment problems. We've had mysterious, non-replicable noises of various types. Electrical glitches, too, such as the auto-set on the driver's seat deciding it doesn't want to move to the set position; high beams not working (wiring). Probably others I have forgotten. Never predictable, always able to be "explained" as "driver error" until the problem is eventually solved. I hope these are items that have been fixed in later years (mine is a 2009 model) because I think the Flex is a great concept.

#8 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:59 AM

TSB 10-7-2 has absolutely nothing to do with your problem. Unfortunately you're just as likely to see the problem come back. You need them to replace or reflash the brake control module. That is the solution to the problem.

#9 OFFLINE   jgold

jgold

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:32 AM

Jim

UPDATE..... Dealer and Ford will not do anything to repair the problem, I am concidering paying out of pocket to replace the Brake module and have it flashed.. cost a wooping aprox $780.00 (which should have been paid for by Ford as part of warantee. (note I found out that the Brake module in the newer models is actually newer than the one we have in the 2009 version, that is why the problem is probably noe existen in new models). BTW most probably we will be selling the Flex (never buy a new model again) and as said before I have caved into my wifes request to purchase a new flex (2012), the only thing that makes me soooooooooooooooo mad is that I have to pay for Fords errors... I truly hope that the next flex has correct all the problems that plagued the 2009 Flex.

Jim

#10 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, Cory. My reply to jgold above contains my current situation. If the matter turns out to be unresolved, I will accept your offer to help...

OK, I understand. Please keep us in the loop.

jgold, Iíd like to look into this so it can be reviewed further. Would you mind sending me a private message with the details on your last visit to the dealer? I want to help with this however I can.

Cory

#11 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

TSB 10-7-2 has absolutely nothing to do with your problem. Unfortunately you're just as likely to see the problem come back. You need them to replace or reflash the brake control module. That is the solution to the problem.

That doesn't surprise me. But do you have some documentation I can take to the dealer to back it up? All is still under warranty. Although "no news is good news" when it comes to a problem that doesn't re-manifest itself, that isn't true if the problem is a brake computer that could go bad at any time and be dangerous.

#12 OFFLINE   jgold

jgold

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

That doesn't surprise me. But do you have some documentation I can take to the dealer to back it up? All is still under warranty. Although "no news is good news" when it comes to a problem that doesn't re-manifest itself, that isn't true if the problem is a brake computer that could go bad at any time and be dangerous.

All I can add the Flagstaff's comment is... AMEN.

Jim

#13 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

It won't "go bad at any time". It's a software bug that is related to the initial identification of the center position of the steering wheel when the car is started. Once you've driven 100ft in a straight line, you will never have the problem.

#14 OFFLINE   jgold

jgold

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

It won't "go bad at any time". It's a software bug that is related to the initial identification of the center position of the steering wheel when the car is started. Once you've driven 100ft in a straight line, you will never have the problem.

Waldo:

The dealership I went to, told me that they could not flash the unit because the software installed was already the newest (Huh in a 2009 oh come on...)????? I never heard this, even a computer can have software reinstalled.

Jim

#15 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

Nice to hear that, assuming the long-distance diagnosis is correct. After working with computers for 25 years, I'm skeptical. But I'll give them a chance to take care of it ASAP.

#16 OFFLINE   eargasm

eargasm

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex, 2005 Scion xB

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

I had the exact same issue, slow turning out of a parking lot.. worst noise i could have ever heard, thought i was running over a metal crate of some sort. triggered the traction control and I could put my foot to the floor and NO power.. 5 mph tops! went away after about 10 mins of stopping and looking at stuff under the the hood, and under the car. Took it to dealer and 95 bux later (under warranty!!!) we cant duplicate it, but your back brakes need replacing.. want us to do that? HA! I dont think so!
so, what has anyone done? does the tsb fix the problem? anyone?
Thanks!

#17 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

Are you still under warranty? If so, tell the dealer to call the Hotline and mention false traction control activation. They will then be authorized to replace the traction control module. If you're out of warranty, you'll have to pay for it yourself, or just learn to live with the condition knowing it's very rare and only happens shortly after you start the vehicle and don't drive in a straight line.

#18 OFFLINE   Dagatha

Dagatha

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

I am having this EXACT issue.  I have a 2009 Flex and it has happened about 5 times since we bought it, starting about 9 months.  First time turning out of parking lot, another time was on a curved on-ramp to the freeway.  I took it to my dealer (Tustin, CA) and they said they couldn't figure it out because I couldn't describe it correctly.    2nd time it happended, they said they still didn't know.  (Both time were under warranty!)   It was so frustrating because it didn't seem like they wanted to investigate further, when this was a real safety issue.  Of course, last week I actually noticed that the Traction Control Light comes on for the split second that the car lurches.  Perfect! I can finally describe it and now it's out of warranty!  I took it to my local NON-dealer and upon my description he immediately said, "Oh, that sounds like ABS or Traction control.  Take it straight to Ford, they need to fix that. I'm sure it's not the only one."  (His exact words.)  Also told me to get online and find others with the same problem... viola!  Here you all are!  I also found the same issue described on Edmunds.com.  

I called Tustin Ford again and the manager basically blew me off.  So infuriating!  Told me to bring it in and they'd charge me to fix it since it was out of warranty.  Wait, what?  I explained that I had complained before but that they could find anything.  "Nope sorry.  It's out of warranty."

Anyone else with the same issue?  How can I get this resolved?  It is a true safetly issue.  What if this happens during rain, or worse, snow?  Thanks everyone!

Edited by Dagatha, 02 April 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

Anyone else with the same issue?  How can I get this resolved?  It is a true safetly issue.  What if this happens during rain, or worse, snow?  Thanks everyone!

Hi there! I've responded to your message. :)

Meagan

#20 OFFLINE   ab2650

ab2650

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Flex

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

We've been searching, and searching for an answer to the sound (perfectly described by others as "running over a metal trash can") and until tonight, had not found anything. We've been to several mechanics and have never been able to find anything or duplicate the issue. We haven't contacted the dealership about this (yet) but after a fiasco with the same vechicle, but different problem, we're not looking forward to contacting them again. Looks like we have to now... :(

Does anyone have any advice on what our options are? Like everyone I've read about with the issue, we too have a 2009 Flex. We purchased it with 50k miles from the dealer, currently with 150k, so it's not under warranty of any kind. Still, it's really frustrating to know that this is an issue that isn't very random, or "normal wear-and-tear" since it's specifically affecting one model-year. Grrr!

Thanks all,

AB

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·