Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Brakes TSB for un-even wear

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

When i was putting the summer wheels on my wife's 2009 Flex SEL FWD, I noticed the rear brake pads were not wearing evenly. The inboard pad was down to 3mm thick and the outboard pad was at 8-10mm thickness, RR & LH wheels. Milage is 37,500 km ( ~ 23,300 miles for you other guys :hysterical: )

I purchased the "Maintenance Plan" so I scheduled an appointment at the Ford dealer ( Weiland Ford, Kitchener) to have the rear brakes done. Day arrives, but they can't complete the job because they need a special bracket to install to fix the wear problem. The bracket is not in stock, no other Ford dealers have it around, so we have to make another trip once the parts show up at Weiland.

The Flex has been perfect, not a problem at all. I hope this bracket fix will bring longer pad life and perhaps cut down on the dusting on the rear wheels.

Anyone else had this TSB performed on the rear brakes?

#2 OFFLINE   jp26

jp26

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

I think I had the same issue today - took it in for tire rotation and oil change and the right rear wheel brake lining was at a 2. The front two were at an 11 and the left rear an 8.

I have had two other brake issues with grinding and replaced the brakes on them already. So now the car is back at the dealership for them to inspect and find out what the issue is. My mileage is at 38, 900

When i was putting the summer wheels on my wife's 2009 Flex SEL FWD, I noticed the rear brake pads were not wearing evenly. The inboard pad was down to 3mm thick and the outboard pad was at 8-10mm thickness, RR & LH wheels. Milage is 37,500 km ( ~ 23,300 miles for you other guys :hysterical: )

I purchased the "Maintenance Plan" so I scheduled an appointment at the Ford dealer ( Weiland Ford, Kitchener) to have the rear brakes done. Day arrives, but they can't complete the job because they need a special bracket to install to fix the wear problem. The bracket is not in stock, no other Ford dealers have it around, so we have to make another trip once the parts show up at Weiland.

The Flex has been perfect, not a problem at all. I hope this bracket fix will bring longer pad life and perhaps cut down on the dusting on the rear wheels.

Anyone else had this TSB performed on the rear brakes?

#3 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

I think I had the same issue today - took it in for tire rotation and oil change and the right rear wheel brake lining was at a 2. The front two were at an 11 and the left rear an 8.

I have had two other brake issues with grinding and replaced the brakes on them already. So now the car is back at the dealership for them to inspect and find out what the issue is. My mileage is at 38, 900

We got the repair done on June 27th, they installed new rear pads and new design rear caliper holders...I will see if this makes a difference for the longevity of the rear pads.

Edited by Mtech, 29 June 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   jp26

jp26

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:07 AM

We got the repair done on June 27th, they installed new rear pads and new design rear caliper holders...I will see if this makes a difference for the longevity of the rear pads.

Keep us updated - mine is still in the shop waiting for a master certified tech to look at it because they are concerned about how fast the lining wear occurred.

#5 OFFLINE   roblectric

roblectric

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Any updates?
Informed today of uneven rear brake pad wear while getting new tires. 36,000 miles and my rear pads need replaced! :redcard:
Both inside pads "will soon be metal on metal" Ive had many of their 30 point inspections and never any mention of abnormal brake pad wear.
"Well its hard to see while the tires are on"
Hmmm,,, how did you missi it when I had my tires rotated last week? Sorry about that sir.
At least they noticed the Hankooks were toast.
I feel a little better now.

#6 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

Any updates?
Informed today of uneven rear brake pad wear while getting new tires. 36,000 miles and my rear pads need replaced! :redcard:
Both inside pads "will soon be metal on metal" Ive had many of their 30 point inspections and never any mention of abnormal brake pad wear.
"Well its hard to see while the tires are on"
Hmmm,,, how did you missi it when I had my tires rotated last week? Sorry about that sir.
At least they noticed the Hankooks were toast.
I feel a little better now.

The rear brakes are still fine, the TSB is working, and I can also report that the rear wheels stay much cleaner too !!

Just got the TSB done for the front brakes for the low speed groaning noise, so all 4 corners have new brackets and the front is virtually 100% new components.

#7 OFFLINE   robb

robb

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

The rear brakes are still fine, the TSB is working, and I can also report that the rear wheels stay much cleaner too !!

Just got the TSB done for the front brakes for the low speed groaning noise, so all 4 corners have new brackets and the front is virtually 100% new components.

Have had both the front brakes and rotors replaced under warranty as well as the rear callipers. The rear brakes were done at 40,000 k with the front ones at 53,000 k. The rear brakes were down to the metal on the right rear side only. No real explanation from the dealers - don't think they really know he cause. Will see how we do from here.

#8 OFFLINE   Brandon Leipzig

Brandon Leipzig

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:36 AM

Had the same problem on my 2010 Ecoboost. They changed the pad stabilizer bracket. Fixed the problem for 60,000 miles and now it's back.

#9 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Had the same problem on my 2010 Ecoboost. They changed the pad stabilizer bracket. Fixed the problem for 60,000 miles and now it's back.

I never heard of that being a root cause.  I wonder how the bracket went bad?

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·