Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Engine shuttering/surge/lurching

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   samflex

samflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Flex

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

I have 53M+ miles on my 2009 Flex Limited....when accelerating from 20-40mph, a shuttering/lurching of the engine occurs then stops when above 50 mph...took it to the dealer...they couldn't duplicate...taking it back to the dealer on Wednesday of this week....has anyone experienced this? What is the solution?

Edited by samflex, 23 May 2011 - 04:29 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

I have 53M+ miles on my 2009 Flex Limited....when accelerating from 20-40mph, a shuttering/lurching of the engine occurs then stops when above 50 mph...took it to the dealer...they couldn't duplicate...taking it back to the dealer on Wednesday of this week....has anyone experienced this? What is the solution?

I can see how frustrating that would be to go to the dealer and the issue not being able to be duplicated. Did you have more luck with the diagnosis yesterday? If you would like my assistance with this, I would like to offer my help. So I can do this, please send me a private message with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name.

Cory

#3 OFFLINE   samflex

samflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

I can see how frustrating that would be to go to the dealer and the issue not being able to be duplicated. Did you have more luck with the diagnosis yesterday? If you would like my assistance with this, I would like to offer my help. So I can do this, please send me a private message with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name.

Cory

F
Tom's Ford in Keyport N.J. solved the problem....Here is their note on the customer paperwork: 53222 found TSB for 09-23-6 reflashed PCM.....my Flex is running smoothly again....Sam

Edited by samflex, 26 May 2011 - 05:18 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Berry

Berry

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

F
Tom's Ford in Keyport N.J. solved the problem....Here is their note on the customer paperwork: 53222 found TSB for 09-23-6 reflashed PCM.....my Flex is running smoothly again....Sam

I hope that the update they did on your car really does fix the problem you were having. I had the same issue--2009 Ford Flex AWD, bought used in Nov 2010 with only 40,000 miles--so I took it to the Ford Dealership, when the mechanic drove my car the 1st time around it did not do the lurching/hesitation and they decided to do an update on the transmission...a cpl days later my car started doing the same thing again, but along with the hesitation it acted as though it wanted to cut off. So when the mechanic took it for another drive he drove it really hard and my car put on a BIG show for him with jerking/hesitating. It was the #3 ingnition coil, which is NOT covered by my warranty (Powertrain) and Ford wants to charge over $400 to fix. My mother-in-law has the same exact year and model(except she bought hers brand new) and her's is doing the same thing--go figure. I am really starting to believe Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily!! Love the car itself but after finding out that the warranty isn't worth the $3,000 extra and I have issues with the rear suspension this will definitely will be the first and last Ford I ever buy!!

Edited by Berry, 27 May 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   samflex

samflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

I hope that the update they did on your car really does fix the problem you were having. I had the same issue--2009 Ford Flex AWD, bought used in Nov 2010 with only 40,000 miles--so I took it to the Ford Dealership, when the mechanic drove my car the 1st time around it did not do the lurching/hesitation and they decided to do an update on the transmission...a cpl days later my car started doing the same thing again, but along with the hesitation it acted as though it wanted to cut off. So when the mechanic took it for another drive he drove it really hard and my car put on a BIG show for him with jerking/hesitating. It was the #3 ingnition coil, which is NOT covered by my warranty (Powertrain) and Ford wants to charge over $400 to fix. My mother-in-law has the same exact year and model(except she bought hers brand new) and her's is doing the same thing--go figure. I am really starting to believe Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily!! Love the car itself but after finding out that the warranty isn't worth the $3,000 extra and I have issues with the rear suspension this will definitely will be the first and last Ford I ever buy!!

Berry....thanks for the insight....I will pass it on to my local Ford dealer.
I was optimistic yesterday because i thought the update had fixed the problem. However, after driving my Flex today, the shuttering/hesitation/lurching has returned again. It's as if my Flex is "possessed"!!!!!!
I will be returning to my local dealer in Cheshire, Ct after the holiday armed with the information you have communicated.
Again....Thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   Flexability

Flexability

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

Similar problems began for me last summer with my 2010 Flex Limited with ecoboost. At that time the mileage was in the upper 20,000's

The symptoms included a shuddering mis-fire and a noticeable drop in accelleration, not extreme but noticeable. Gas mileage also seemed to suffer, going from an average of 22-23 to 18-9 mpg.

I took it to a dealership and they replaced a fuel injector, but this did not fix the problem. Through the Fall of 2011 the shuddering symptoms continued, and the Check Engine Light began to come on.

After this happened a couple of times (because at first it would go off after a minute or two) I called the dealership (Andy Zeck Ford in Lansing/Leavenworth, KS) and they said this was a potentially serious malfunction. They asked me to bring the car in, and if I could, do this when the engine light had flashed on. I tried this after one event, but their diagnostic didn't show anything.

Later in the month, this happened again, on a Saturday morning, and the CEL light was staying on, so I drove to Zeck Ford and they put the diagnostic computer on the engine and it registered an event with the #3 coil, just like what was mentioned in another post. I shared this information (from the Forum) with them, and they checked it out and decided that the car needed an upgrade of spark plugs. New spark plugs are always nice and initially the horsepower felt strong and steady. But, before long the shuddering and engine light issue was back.

This didn't resolve the issue, and after mentioning the coil possibility on #3 cylinder they replaced that as well. Shuddering and CEL light continued

Now, I should mention that this can occur when I floor-it, and most often that was the case, but there have been other times when a mere solid or strong accelleration produced the same results.

Andy Zeck Ford and their service department has been great. They have checked back with me on each occasion to ask if the problem returned. In early February 2012 I received such a call and they asked me to bring the car in, with the intention of keeping it until the probelm was resolved. I was provided with a loaner and later a rental as they worked on the Flex for what amounted to two weeks.

Here is what was discovered in my Flex's case:

A few days were spent driving the car to get it to produce a shuddering/ CEL event. Not being completely predictable, this took several attempts and eventually they produced an event and began a diagnostic, running compression tests, electrical checks and so on.

Finally, after that was done they took the manifold off of the engine to replace another coil. With the top off the engine we were able to see the valves and it was eveident that the seals on a few were not good, so they ordered vallve seals and replaced the bad ones.

After two weeks they completed this work and also put in another fuel injector, and I got the car back.

The shuddering has completely ceased. The horsepower feels very close to what I remember when I first got the car. Gas mileage isn't greatly improved (but I've been told that winter blend gasoline will not produce great gas mileage). I'm not flooring it every chance I get, but I have done this several times at various speeds to see if anything runs amiss, so FAR real GOOD.

Tom in the service department has faithfully follwed up again and I am really happy to report that the car is running well. Tom told me that he believes at this time that the shuddering was still most likely a fuel injector, and probably not the coil. And, even though the valve seals were faulty on two cylinders, he didn't think that this was the cause of the CEL and shuddering problem.

I have been looking forward to writing this post to share with everyone who has had the problem, is having the problem or may someday have the same problem: so that you will know that your problem has happened to others, and that it IS flukey, and so you can share this information with your dealer's service department. Hopefully, this information will be of value for diagnostic purposes

#7 OFFLINE   jettech462

jettech462

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

My 2010 Turbo is in the shop now for the same thing. Funny they said same thing #3 coil and the tranny needs reflashed. After coil replacement still missing now they say it's plugs. Haven't changed them yet and still don't know if reflashing the tyranny is going to work. Let's keep updated on this and get a real fix.

#8 OFFLINE   Liteman

Liteman

Liteman

• Ford Flex Members
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Does your engine light come on when this is doing it?
I have the same problem and the engine light hasn;t come yet.

#9 OFFLINE   kimmysue

kimmysue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex Limited w/Ecoboost AWD

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

My car is doing the same thing and we are working with Olathe Ford. They have not fixed our issue.
We have had our 2010 Ford Flex with Ecoboost AWD (mileage 42,000) at the dealership off and on for about 3 weeks and it still not fixed. Here is the issue: Our flex shifts very hard when driving at city speeds and the engine act like Mel Tellis, is stutters and acts like it will not go and then all of the sudden it takes off. Driving down the highway it starts surging and stuttering. Ford had us put new spark plugs in and also changed the coils, said that fixed it. Drove off and headed down the highway and starting doing it again. Back to Ford. Had the assistant drive it and it did it to him once on the highway. Said that ford is aware of the issue but right now no fix. Has anyone had or have this same issue? They have not put the monitor on it, I wish they would as it would show the problem or problems.

#10 OFFLINE   kimmysue

kimmysue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex Limited w/Ecoboost AWD

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

I forgot to ask to you know any TSB that they checked?

#11 OFFLINE   Richard R Mackey

Richard R Mackey

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

Likely have a bad coil - #4 - which is fried and likely fried your Power Control Module - need new coil and PCM and dealer needs two original keys to download and flash the board - big expense, if not under warranty

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·