Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Leaks

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   leesflex

leesflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

I have a 2010 Flex that is parked outside. Have recently had a problem with water in the floorboard after a rain. Took the car to the dealer who said the leak was caused by a drain under the hood being stopped up by leaves and twigs. Because the drain was stopped up, the water had no where to go but inside the car. Also advised me that this wasn't a warranty issue because the problem was caused by the leaves stopping up the drain - no defect in the car. Has anybody experienced a water problem like this? I've parked cars in this same spot for 27 years and this is the first I've had to leak.

Edited by leesflex, 26 April 2011 - 09:44 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   2011FLEXED

2011FLEXED

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:13 AM

I have a 2010 Flex that is parked outside. Have recently had a problem with water in the floorboard after a rain. Took the car to the dealer who said the leak was caused by a drain under the hood being stopped up by leaves and twigs. Because the drain was stopped up, the water had no where to go but inside the car. Also advised me that this wasn't a warranty issue because the problem was caused by the leaves stopping up the drain - no defect in the car. Has anybody experienced a water problem like this? I've parked cars in this same spot for 27 years and this is the first I've had to leak.

You should ask your dealer to show you where and how the debris would get in

#3 OFFLINE   leesflex

leesflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:33 AM

You should ask your dealer to show you where and how the debris would get in

Thanks, they are going to show me when I go pick the car up.

#4 OFFLINE   UB003

UB003

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

I've had the same problem with the same answer. The dealer wanted $300 to fix it.

The car is only 6 months old. I took delivery in December, 2010 when there were no leaves on the tree. I also have parked in the same spot for over 20 years with out a problem. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the design of the Flex that causes magnifies this issue.

Have you clean out the cowl yourself. Do you have any advise for me if so.

Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   UB003

UB003

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

Follow up.

Yeaterday I went to the dealer to pickup my Flex. I happened on to the service manager. I told him about the problem. He said that there was about an inch thick deposit of what looked like mud in the cowl. He said that he didn't know that it was my car. We spoke a few minutes when he had to go into the showroom. I was still waiting for my Flex when he returned. He told me because I was a good customer that he will do the repair for free.

#6 OFFLINE   leesflex

leesflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

Follow up.

Yeaterday I went to the dealer to pickup my Flex. I happened on to the service manager. I told him about the problem. He said that there was about an inch thick deposit of what looked like mud in the cowl. He said that he didn't know that it was my car. We spoke a few minutes when he had to go into the showroom. I was still waiting for my Flex when he returned. He told me because I was a good customer that he will do the repair for free.

After some "discussion" the dealer also repaired my Flex for free but was sure to tell me this would be the only time. His suggestion was to spray water through the vents regularly to keep debris from building up. That was a great suggestion but since we do that anyway I'm not sure the problem won't pop up again. He also shortened some drain tubes under the cowl to widen them so more debris could wash out. He strongly discouraged me from trying to remove the cowl myself for deeper cleaning. We'll see how things go from here. I do think there is a design flaw and hope Ford will recognize it for future models.

#7 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

UB003 & leesflex, I can see why this issue would be annoying, and I知 glad to hear the dealer took care of it. Please don稚 hesitate to private message me your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage if you run into any troubles in the future and would like my assistance.

Cory

#8 OFFLINE   UB003

UB003

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

After some "discussion" the dealer also repaired my Flex for free but was sure to tell me this would be the only time. His suggestion was to spray water through the vents regularly to keep debris from building up. That was a great suggestion but since we do that anyway I'm not sure the problem won't pop up again. He also shortened some drain tubes under the cowl to widen them so more debris could wash out. He strongly discouraged me from trying to remove the cowl myself for deeper cleaning. We'll see how things go from here. I do think there is a design flaw and hope Ford will recognize it for future models.

With my Flex only six months old and less then 4K on it the problem must be traced back to the factory. How many other people had the same problem but did not report it. I agree there is a design flaw. Thank God for my dealer.

#9 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

With my Flex only six months old and less then 4K on it the problem must be traced back to the factory. How many other people had the same problem but did not report it. I agree there is a design flaw. Thank God for my dealer.

I知 glad to hear your dealer will be taking care of it. Please be sure to keep us in the loop during the repair process and let me know via private message if you租 like any help.

Cory

#10 OFFLINE   Karflex

Karflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Mustang

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

This *EXACT* same issue plagued Ford Mustangs as well, along with who knows how many models, for years now. My 2005 Ford Mustang would leak through the passenger side dash into the floorboards and, since all the wiring was there, it caused all the lights and electronics to go crazy and randomly turn on, turn off, stay on, etc.

If you look into this you'll find that it was extremely common for the 2005+ Ford Mustangs also. The same issue with the cowl vents was the cause. This also caused my car to completely lose power to all electronics while I was driving down the street to work at 3 AM disabling the vehicle completely (couldn't even shift the car out of drive in the middle of the street) so the car was stuck in traffic and the hazard lights and all lights wouldn't even turn on.

This ended up with me calling a law enforcement officer, him giving me a ride, and eventually an enormous accident in his vehicle resulting in his death and nearly my own. Obviously since we weren't driving my Mustang at the time I'm not claiming that Ford caused his death exactly but in a way, it all started because of this problem creating a chain reaction of events that is still pretty enraging.

What is more enraging is the reality that I have decided to keep faith in Ford and have been REALLY excited about getting a new Ford Flex and then I read this thread. Wow. No thanks, I'll probably be heading to Chevrolet.

#11 OFFLINE   Davkhy

Davkhy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

I知 glad to hear your dealer will be taking care of it. Please be sure to keep us in the loop during the repair process and let me know via private message if you租 like any help.

Cory

#12 OFFLINE   Davkhy

Davkhy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

Cory,
I may nerd your services since I have a similar issue. After it rains or I wash the flex, I get a mil due smell. I will be taking the car to Banner ford in mandiville, Louisiana.

One other thing. I think there is a thread for the pillar posts. I hand wash the car since new with proper wash MIT and soft towels. All of the pillar covers appear to be scratched but I am using soft towels. Has any of these issues been taken care by the dealer?

Dave B

Edited by Davkhy, 25 August 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:12 AM

Cory,
I may nerd your services since I have a similar issue. After it rains or I wash the flex, I get a mil due smell...

I知 happy to help, Davkhy. I received your private messages and I値l be replying with further details as soon as I can.

Cory

#14 OFFLINE   brockdog12

brockdog12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 18 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

I have been reading up on this water in floorboard problem as well. I bought my Flex and noticed a damp passenger floorboard after a recent rain. I pulled my cowl and cleaned out under there but there wasn't enough garbage to plug the drains. I also noticed wet capet after a hand washing a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a sunroof or a vista roof.

#15 OFFLINE   leesflex

leesflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

This *EXACT* same issue plagued Ford Mustangs as well, along with who knows how many models, for years now. My 2005 Ford Mustang would leak through the passenger side dash into the floorboards and, since all the wiring was there, it caused all the lights and electronics to go crazy and randomly turn on, turn off, stay on, etc.

If you look into this you'll find that it was extremely common for the 2005+ Ford Mustangs also. The same issue with the cowl vents was the cause. This also caused my car to completely lose power to all electronics while I was driving down the street to work at 3 AM disabling the vehicle completely (couldn't even shift the car out of drive in the middle of the street) so the car was stuck in traffic and the hazard lights and all lights wouldn't even turn on.

This ended up with me calling a law enforcement officer, him giving me a ride, and eventually an enormous accident in his vehicle resulting in his death and nearly my own. Obviously since we weren't driving my Mustang at the time I'm not claiming that Ford caused his death exactly but in a way, it all started because of this problem creating a chain reaction of events that is still pretty enraging.

What is more enraging is the reality that I have decided to keep faith in Ford and have been REALLY excited about getting a new Ford Flex and then I read this thread. Wow. No thanks, I'll probably be heading to Chevrolet.

#16 OFFLINE   leesflex

leesflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Karflex, what was the resolution to your lost power problem? This happened to me tonight, luckily I was not on a busy road. I was driving along and all of a sudden I lost power. I can't imagine how this would have played out if I had been on a busy road. Very scary.

#17 OFFLINE   Allan Delavau

Allan Delavau

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

This type of leaking occured in my 2010 Flex following a car wash last winter. The first indication was that the heater motor would not run (turned out to be frozen due to leaking). The dealer cleaned out the cowl (pine needles) and unthawed the heater motor (at no charge, car still under factory waranty). It took several days with an interior car warmer running to eventually dry out the carpet.

Now mid summer and again following a car wash I had at least an inch of water on the front passenger side floor. Soaked up as much as I could and letting it dry out. However, when I press hard on the floor I can still hear water sloshing around. Taking it into the dealer on Tuesday. Let's hope they repair as before.

I've owned 5 different vehicles while liiving in this location with only the Flex having this problem. Appears to be a design flaw of some sort. Has Ford addressed this issue with any other owners?

#18 OFFLINE   leesflex

leesflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

Allan, Good luck with your dealer. I have since traded my 2010 Flex for a 2012 Flex and so far, no problem with leaking. I sure hope they fixed what I truly believe was a design flaw.

#19 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

This type of leaking occured in my 2010 Flex following a car wash last winter...

Hi Allan!

Found you here too! Since we've been chatting on the other forum about it (and Facebook, too) I'll continue to discuss this with you there should any updates need to be relayed between us, and/or if you have any future questions or concerns.

Meagan

#20 OFFLINE   Adhooghe48446

Adhooghe48446

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fird Flex

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Apparently, if you ask at Ford Customer Service, no other Flex owners have reported this problem, however it was an $800 repair for me on my 2010 Ford Flex that has only 40K miles on it, out of warranty of course. We don't park this vehicle near any trees/debris and live on a blatck top road. I am disgusted with how I was treated at the Ford dealership and by Ford customer service. This is our first Ford and will be our last Ford. It will be traded in as soon as we can, I will be buying CHEVY!!!!

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·