Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Whine at ~78 mph

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grelenco

grelenco

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Flex Limited EcoBoost

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

We bought a 2011 Limited EcoBoost last fall and now have about 5,000 miles on it. Absolutely LOVING the vehicle...but we have noticed a strange noise that Ford tells me is 'Normal'...

When driving on the highway, a mid-pitch (ie, not 'high pitched' or 'low pitched') whine is pretty apparent right in around the 78 mph point. It starts to come on around 75 mph and goes away again at about 80 mph. Set the cruise at 78 (a nice sustained speed in a 75 mph limited zone...), and it is quite annoying.

I didn't do much about it initially, thinking that it maybe was just an engine break-in issue. However, I recently took it to the dealer to check out. They definitely heard the sound, but the technician also took out another Flex EcoBoost they had on the lot and came back to report that the new one had it also...only THAT one was even louder than ours. Same situation...peaks at 78 mph.

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so has it gone away as more miles are put on the engine? I don't think this is an RPM-related issue since I don't hear it at any other speeds either.

Suggestions?
Greg

#2 OFFLINE   tenracing

tenracing

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Flex Titanium White/blk roof

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so has it gone away as more miles are put on the engine? I don't think this is an RPM-related issue since I don't hear it at any other speeds either.

diagnosis suggestion, when driving at 78 MPH, try dropping a gear and see if it changes... if not you know it is speed related, not a combination of speed and RPM...

;)

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

It's the driveshaft. Tell the dealer to replace it, it's not normal.

Edited by Waldo, 28 February 2011 - 09:07 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

Ever consider that the tires are making that noise? Tires especially are good at making whine noises, Either that or get the 5 YO out of the back seat.

#5 OFFLINE   tenracing

tenracing

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Flex Titanium White/blk roof

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

or maybe, try going for a drive without spouse in the car...

:poke:

Edited by tenracing, 03 May 2011 - 11:07 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   eosBlue

eosBlue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Have you tried a different speed like maybe slowing down to the speed limit (75mph)? In a full hour at 75mph, you would arrive at a 78 mile mark in less than 3 minutes slower doing 75mph verses 78mph.

As with other posters here, I would think this issue would be tire related. I assume all the windows were rolled up when you noticed the whine. If you'v had the windshield replaced, that could cause a whine.

#7 OFFLINE   Gggraymabe

Gggraymabe

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 ford flex AWD

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

I have this strange noise at 78 mph also!!!! 2011 AWD ford flex. Waldo said it was the drive shaft. Was that the problem?

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·