Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Vista Sun-Roof - is it dark without it

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Flex-ible

Flex-ible

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:38 AM

I did my official test drive yesterday and was able to decide between Eco-boost or no Eco-boost (Eco-boost won). Now I am wondering about the Vista Roof. I have always had sun roofs in my cars - but I never use them and almost always have the cover closed, so they have been of no value. The only reason I can think to need it in the Flex is because the 2nd and 3rd rows might be dark without it. Can anyone who does not have the Vista Roof tell me what you think about that? I don't often have passengers in the back - actually mostly just the dogs, and the sun roof could make it hotter back there for them . I am also thinking of the roof racks since I carry a kayak sometimes - and would consider factory installed roof rack if I don't get the Vista Roof.

I'm also struggling to decide between Earth or Bordeaux - white roof on whichever I choose.

Thanks for your help.

#2 OFFLINE   frpda205

frpda205

2010 MKt owner

• Ford Flex Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:17 AM

If your dealer/salesman believes you are serious about FLEX he should let you take the one you want for a day and over night. If the one you want is to be ordered, then take a loaner or have them get one for you with the vista roof. If you do get the vista roof there are owners on this forum and here http://www.fordflex.net/ who have installed the roof rack over the vista roof.

hope this helps

#3 OFFLINE   tenracing

tenracing

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Flex Titanium White/blk roof

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

I don't often have passengers in the back - actually mostly just the dogs, and the sun roof could make it hotter back there for them . I am also thinking of the roof racks since I carry a kayak sometimes - and would consider factory installed roof rack if I don't get the Vista Roof.
I'm also struggling to decide between Earth or Bordeaux - white roof on whichever I choose.
Thanks for your help.

I'd say skip the solar pan... er I mean vista roof, ESPECIALLY since you have the pets! I've always disliked the sun/moon roofs, my previous wagon had one, only because I couldn't get the premium package without it... having the 'fart sucker' mode is nice, but I opted NO on my new wagon order... I have a pet I take with me back and forth to work almost every day, Attached File  sassie-1.jpg   89.21KB   1 downloads

and I don't care what anybody says, a dark piece of glass is a solar panel, even with the 'shade' pulled, in my own humble opion...

FWIW my previous wagon was a 07 Volvo V70R, LOVED it, wish the FLEX had optional manual...

#4 OFFLINE   flats3

flats3

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Titanium AWD Ecoboost

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have a 2011 Titanium without the vista roof and the darkness is not an issue. There is plenty of light coming in the side windows. I would've ordered a model with the sun roof if they offered it over the driver/passenger only because I love the ability to vent the car by popping up the sun roof. I saw no need to have glass panels over the entire roof and viewed it as a safety issue. I transport dogs (3 retrievers) too and space for the crates is an issue. Even the crates made to fit side by side in SUV's will not fit in the Flex because it is too narrow.

#5 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

We opted not to go with the Vista as well. We test drove a Limited with it, and didn't care for all that exposed roof. Lack of light hasn't been an issue either, and one thing I have discovered is it warms up quicker not having the glass in the roof. Our Fusion has the sun roof, and even with the shade closed we can feel the cold seep in when it is really cold outside.

#6 OFFLINE   monte

monte

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 38 posts
  • Current Vehicle:F150, Explorer, 2012 Flex Limited w/EcoBoost

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

Sorry to revive a semi-dormant thread. Does the Vista roof have some sort of panel closure? I went down to a dealer close to me and he did not have one with a Vista roof.
Thanks,

Monte

#7 OFFLINE   MileHiGuy

MileHiGuy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:GMC 2500 HD Duramax

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

I cannot speak directly to the flex sun roof but i too have never used sun roofs in the past and generally would go out of my way to look for a vehicle with out it. Until that is that i got a VW with their Pano Sunroof and had a limo tint put on it. Very rarely do i feel the need to close the perforated sun screen and the sunroof feature ended up being my favorite feature on the SUV. Just food for thought.

#8 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost, 2011 Camaro SS/RS conv. and 2002 Ford Ranger Edge

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

I love my vista roof though I do have to make sure the sun shades are closed for my pets. I think the sun roof in the MXT is much nicer but both are way too expensive, really.

#9 OFFLINE   Johnny Langton

Johnny Langton

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 12 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKT Elite EcoBoost AWD

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:51 AM

Sorry to revive a semi-dormant thread. Does the Vista roof have some sort of panel closure? I went down to a dealer close to me and he did not have one with a Vista roof.
Thanks,

Monte

No, there is no "blackout" type shade for the 2nd and 3rd row passengers, just a "shade" that cuts down on some of the light transmission. The front is a conventional sunroof with a manual sliding shade that does blackout the light. I didn't like it in the Flex at all, and if it were not forced upon me in the MKT as part of the options/equipment package-I'd have stayed with an all-metal roof. I do like how the MKT does have a "blackout" shade for all of the passengers.
JL

#10 OFFLINE   monte

monte

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 38 posts
  • Current Vehicle:F150, Explorer, 2012 Flex Limited w/EcoBoost

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

No, there is no "blackout" type shade for the 2nd and 3rd row passengers, just a "shade" that cuts down on some of the light transmission. The front is a conventional sunroof with a manual sliding shade that does blackout the light. I didn't like it in the Flex at all, and if it were not forced upon me in the MKT as part of the options/equipment package-I'd have stayed with an all-metal roof. I do like how the MKT does have a "blackout" shade for all of the passengers.
JL

I have to say you are wrong. I did purchase a 2012 Flex and all rows have a sliding black-out screen.

Monte

#11 OFFLINE   Johnny Langton

Johnny Langton

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 12 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKT Elite EcoBoost AWD

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:59 AM

I have to say you are wrong. I did purchase a 2012 Flex and all rows have a sliding black-out screen.

Monte

No, they don't. It does NOT blackout and block all light transmission on the 2nd and 3rd rows. It simply shades the light. There is a BIG difference between them.
JL

Edited by Johnny Langton, 05 December 2011 - 06:00 AM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·