Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

2010 Flex SEL Ecoboost AWESOME in the snow!!!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

Last month I took a drive to Michigan from IL, there was a light snow all the way there, with some lake effect thrown in. The real problem was not the snow, but the temperature, it was well below 20* outside, and they started salting the road, which melted the snow, and then allowed it to freeze, since salt is only good down to around 20*. Cars were all over the place, I saw at least a dozen wrecks, and witnessed six myself. The Flex held the road perfectly, didn't slip, slide or anything. Once I got into Michigan, the roads were much better since they didn't salt them, they just let the wind blow the snow off the cold road. There were a few areas that snow had piled up, but the car went through it with nary a whisper. A couple weeks ago we had that big storm roll through here, and the car drove though it rock solid, thankfully I got home before it got too deep since the car sits low and would have been stuck in anything over 8" deep, and I don't care how good your traction control, or tires are, when the snow is deeper than your bumper, you aren't going anywhere. The snow was so deep in fact that I would not even drive my F350 Dually Diesel 4x4 in it. The snow was over the axles on that one.

I also have a Fusion Sport, with the RS'A tires. They changed the entire tire design sometime between the 2010 Fusion and the 2010 Flex build dates, the tread design on the Fusion tires is horrible, and may be why some others had traction issues, they have the previous tread design. The new design actually has good traction in snow and ice, it takes a lot to break the tires loose, and with the Ecoboost, I have a LOT. The easiest way to tell if they are the new design, the sidewall on the old design has a lip that sticks out from the rim, at least 3/8", the new design is flush with the rim. The tread itself has a lot more grooving across the width of the tire.

Overall, I am very happy with the Flex.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·