Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

tires didn't last long? how about you?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

WOW.....that's a blowout waiting to happen...lucky you caught that because it's hard to see on the inside...Are you gonna put Goodyears back on or shop for another brand...

#22 OFFLINE   JohnSkurka

JohnSkurka

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

WOW.....that's a blowout waiting to happen...lucky you caught that because it's hard to see on the inside...Are you gonna put Goodyears back on or shop for another brand...

Going to stay with the Goodyears. IMO - it's not an issue with the tire - it's gotta be an alignment or contact issue.

#23 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

I have never had good service out of Goodyears...Always seem to wear out fast and roared or sounded like the compound was hard...Goodyear makes good tires i am sure... i jusxt had bad luck with them as well as Continentals.

Edited by Notgrownup, 02 December 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   Alpineblue

Alpineblue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Flex, 2006 Mustang GT, 1991 Ranger V8

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

Got 40k out of my Goodyears but they were toast when replaced.

#25 OFFLINE   chucky

chucky

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex Limited

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

I am a new Flex owner. Really wanted to get the 2013 Limited EcoBoost, but budget constraints kicked in, and better financial sense dictated that we take advantage of the 2012 rebate offers. So far, very happy w/ the car. Curious though, am I looking at replacing tires every 25-35000 miles.....for real!!! We have a Marquis, Ford serviced/maintained, and usually swap out tires at 55,000 miles. On the fourth set, counting the originals, at 157,000. Hope I'm not spoiled by my experiences in that car...

#26 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost, 2011 Camaro SS/RS conv. and 2002 Ford Ranger Edge

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

I have 41,000 miles on my original tires and at the last rotation, they are telling me that I still have nearly 'half' of the useful tread remaining. I do have them rotated at every oil change and watch the alignment. I am a happy camper.

#27 OFFLINE   chucky

chucky

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex Limited

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

Thanks, Scotty.

#28 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost, 2011 Camaro SS/RS conv. and 2002 Ford Ranger Edge

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

Mine has Eagle RSA tires and with 41,000 miles, the dealer says they still have half their tread. I have them rotated at every old change.

#29 OFFLINE   sonnefly

sonnefly

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Flex Limited

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

I wore out the edges of the front tires at 24K. Dealer checked alignment, had slight toe out, equal on both sides. Rear tires fine. Dealer did alignment and bought one of the front tires. I had to pay full price for other, but at least I could drive the car home without worrying. With the 5K oil change interval, you can wear out a set of these tires between rotations. Will save up for a set of Cooper CS4's.

#30 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

I have 43,000 miles on my OEM Goodyear RSA tires and still have over half of the the tire life remaining, according to my dealer. I do rotate the tires every 5,000 miles. I'm a happy camper and would buy these tires again.

#31 OFFLINE   omio

omio

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:16 AM

30,500 and I need new ones bad. Hope I can make it to Saturday.
Posted Image

That is what our Hankooks looked like after 24K, was told by the dealer that it was their 10th set that looked that way with less than 30K. We replaced them with Michellins and they only lasted 35K before going down the same way. Car is constantly being aligned by multiple different garages. The dealership is stumped, but it sucks to have to buy new tires every 30K.

#32 OFFLINE   Mattie N Zelda

Mattie N Zelda

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

After my first rotation at 5000, I was told that I needed new tires.  These were the original tires and were rotated front to back etc.  since they were so bad after the first rotation it was decided that they would stay on the back as there was hardly any traction to put on the front again because the would be no traction with the front wheeldrive.  This sucks as they cost 1000 bucks to replace and nearly 1400 at the dealer...  I did find a set at Tire Rack for $697 but then the install will end up being close to 1000 anyway...anyone suggest a good tire replacement other than the Hankook tires since they only lasted less than 20K miles...  I plan on selling the car anyway and hopefully the new owners will have better luck with this car.  I am more than displeased with the ownership of this particular vehicle.  It was a loaded Limited with a sticker price of $44K and the best offer I could get for it was $18k what a crock...  I will never buy another....

#33 OFFLINE   Rdboyd88

Rdboyd88

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex Limited

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:09 AM

My 235 55/R19 Hankooks made it to 27K and now I am running Toyo Versado CUVs because I was told that they offered better sidewall protection for the aluminum wheels that get easily scratched when rubbing a curb. I am new to this forum and I guess other Flex owners know what I'm talking about with the 19" aluminum spoke wheels that came on the 2009 Limited Flex. I noticed that the wheels were all scuffed up on the edge when we purchased the Flex as a Demo with 6K on it. I showed them the scuffed edges and they had another demo with the same wheels so they brought it to the shop to be swapped and that Flex had the same problem too. Finally they put a loaner set of wheels and tires on and sent my wheels to a place that repairs and polishes wheels. We went back 2 days later and the wheels looked brand new again. Then, about 2 weeks later my wife barely rubbed the curb when she parked at the store and put a 3 inch long scratch on the wheel. Oh Well. It was good while it lasted. Anyway, the Toyos have 28k on them and they are about gone. I rotate every other oil change (4,000 miles) and constantly check the air pressure. I guess that the Flexes just like to eat up tires a little quicker than others but at least it's not as bad as the old high performance Acura NSX that only got 3K out of a set of tires.

#34 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 278 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:02 AM

I am at 50K on my '11 SE, 3/32 left on the OEM Optimas

#35 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

I replaced my original Goodyear tires at 55,000 miles even though they still have some miles left in them. Replaced them with the same brand.

#36 OFFLINE   Floridianman

Floridianman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 limited

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:28 AM

Who upgraded their 235/55r19to a 245 or 255 size tire. I am looking to replace the crappy hankook before the snow starts. Plus on tire looks like it has a small cut in the sidewall but does not leak.

#37 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Flex Limited

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Wow this is interesting. I bought my 2011 LTD with 19K on the odometer a couple of weeks ago and they showed me where they had to replace the back tires before they could offer it for sale due to wear. I never put any thought into it until I read this post. This is my first ford in over 30 years. My bow tie products that I use to have and the ones I still currently have, have the tires rotated at every oil change. My suburban that I traded in for my Flex, I got 77K out of the Good Years that came with it and I switched to Pirelli Scorpions for better traction and got over 95K with my first set and over 100K on the set that were still on when traded in. My Trailblazer SS has Hankooks' on them that have over 60K on them. So needless to say I am not use to buying tires. Maybe the Flex is a tire eater?

#38 OFFLINE   johnny rocket

johnny rocket

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 38 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Flex Limited EB

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:27 AM

Wow this is interesting. I bought my 2011 LTD with 19K on the odometer a couple of weeks ago and they showed me where they had to replace the back tires before they could offer it for sale due to wear. I never put any thought into it until I read this post. This is my first ford in over 30 years. My bow tie products that I use to have and the ones I still currently have, have the tires rotated at every oil change. My suburban that I traded in for my Flex, I got 77K out of the Good Years that came with it and I switched to Pirelli Scorpions for better traction and got over 95K with my first set and over 100K on the set that were still on when traded in. My Trailblazer SS has Hankooks' on them that have over 60K on them. So needless to say I am not use to buying tires. Maybe the Flex is a tire eater?

Tire eater, possibly. 

Our 2013 Flex Limited AWD, was purchased brand new, 15 months ago. Mileage= 16,500.  Rotate tires every 5,000mi.  We just discovered all 4 tires, Hankook Optimo H426 255-45-R20, DOT 5MNB PDLH 4112, 4112, 4112, 4012, Wear Factor Rating 440 = 40,000 mi, have 10mm diameter peel backs, shaped like a tear drop, all over the inner and outer treads, nothing in the middle treads. The peel backs start at the tips of the tear drops, which some face forward, and some face backwards to the forward rotation. When the rubber is finally torn out, there is a 1-2mm hole left in the treads. As a result, the tires vibrate loudly when driving on the road. We have 3 small kids, drive the speed limit, no off roading, and don't tow at all. Rarely drive on the freeway.  Tire pressure is maintained at 38 psig.

Hankook is ignoring our claim. Can you say extreme safety issue? The Ford Dealership came back with a deal to replace all 4 tires with Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season tires, we pay half!  For now it is a good deal to get the failing Hankooks off of our family vehicle.  Still working with Ford to get compensated for the total price of the new tires.

Many complaints about Hankook tires for wearing out too soon and sidewall bulging.

More will be revealed...

Update 22-Jun-2014  Got off the horn with Ford central, and they woud only compensate me another 10% for total tire usage.  They would never admit the tires had a problem, as directed by their legal team...  If and when we buy another brand new Ford product, we will only accept delivery of the $50K vehicle without Hankook tires!

JR

Edited by johnny rocket, 24 June 2014 - 11:27 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

I have a 2010 Eco and rotated the stock Goodyear RSA tires every 5,000 miles. I had to replace them at 64,000 miles, so was pretty happy. Replaced with the same tires.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·