Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

tires didn't last long? how about you?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lammer

lammer

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a premature wear on the OEM factory 19" Hankook's?

I just replaced mine only after 30,000km. After the 25,000km maintenance, I had them rotate the tires to see that the fronts had worn right down (so that the edge tread was worn right off). The rear's were okay full tread still showing. I got a deal to replace all four so I took it. (I kept the two good remaining tires to replace at a later time)

My question is... is anyone else noticing premature wear on their 19" Hankook's?

...and yes my tires were ALL inflated properly at the recommended PSI. and the alignment is fine...

#2 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:00 AM

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a premature wear on the OEM factory 19" Hankook's?

I just replaced mine only after 30,000km. After the 25,000km maintenance, I had them rotate the tires to see that the fronts had worn right down (so that the edge tread was worn right off). The rear's were okay full tread still showing. I got a deal to replace all four so I took it. (I kept the two good remaining tires to replace at a later time)

My question is... is anyone else noticing premature wear on their 19" Hankook's?

...and yes my tires were ALL inflated properly at the recommended PSI. and the alignment is fine...

How do you know the alignment is fine? Have you actually had it checked or are you just assuming it is fine because it tracks straight? If you have had it checked, can you post the specs?

Also tire rotations need to be done much sooner than 25000km. It should be done at 7500miles (12000km).

#3 OFFLINE   sanand911

sanand911

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:36 AM

I have 37K Miles on my 2009 Flex and I have "almost" the same problem. My front tires have sufficent tread but my back tires are completely worn out. Tire pressure is fine and the back tires wore off evenly.
I have not gotten my aligment check but the vehicle seems to operate straight. Any thoughts would be appreciated..
Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   Catz_toy

Catz_toy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

The OEM Hankook Optimo's are just not a high mileage tire. Mine were worn out after 35,000 km. I have Hankook iPike RW11's for the winter and I have 40,000 km on them and they still have 9 and 10/32s. I am about to replace the OEMs with something but I am not sure what. Has anyone had a good tread life experience form a 19" all season tire?

#5 OFFLINE   Tennessee Flexin'

Tennessee Flexin'

Flexappeal

• Ford Flex Members
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2009 LTD and 2017 SEL

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

Mine made it to 28k miles. I am a professional driver and know how to maintain (rotation, balance and pressure) my tires. According to Hankook, this is an 80k tire. Ford dealer told me too bad, no tread life warrenty on original tires. Better luck to you.

#6 OFFLINE   robibb

robibb

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex SEL,Steel Blue Metallic Paint, Medium Light Stone Leather

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

I just took my Flex into a dealer because the left front was really bad. They had me come in the next day and do an allignment and it was a little off but they say that still doesnt explain the excessive wear on the front left. The fron left is at 2 and the right front is at 5 and the two rear wheels are at 8 in depht. So they whre going to replace the left front because it only had 26K on them. I am worried that having one new tire would mess up the AWD? What is your take on this. And even if the replace the two front tires if I have to rotate it and the fronts end up on the back will I be causeing damage to the car in the near future? Let me know what you all Flex fanatics think?

#7 OFFLINE   robibb

robibb

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex SEL,Steel Blue Metallic Paint, Medium Light Stone Leather

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:47 AM

The Dealership agreed to take care of the tire issue. They got me four new tires and installed then two days later. Thanks for all your private emails with advice on how to proceed with this issue. At least now I have a set of tires that I can rotate and maintain without fear of safety of my family.

#8 OFFLINE   Campster

Campster

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Flex

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:12 AM

I love my my Ford Flex but I am disappointed on the "run-around" on this tire issue. We have 25,000 miles and the same problem. We were even requested to submit our car records which show that we properly maintained our car but the supplier is saying "no warranty" on the tires.

What I am struggling with and really don't understand...is that if the tires have a 80,000 mile warranty (if you buy them directly from a supplier) why doesn't the warranty apply if I bought a new car and the tires came on the car?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have talked to countless people and have even asked for names of managers who work with the supplier and for supplier contact information. I was told that information is not realeased.

#9 OFFLINE   Missed Again

Missed Again

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts
  • Location:Spartanburg, SC, Lake Adger, NC Ocean Isle Beach, NC
  • Current Vehicle:Flex, Dodge Pickup, Exterra

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:35 AM

Robibb, maybe you can give us some insight as to what to do. I too will have to replace the Hankook’s, have less than 22,000 miles on them. When looking at reviews on tire sights it seems this is a common problem with them. It appears Korea has the same QC problems as China. You can bet your boots I’m not buying another set of these.

#10 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

What I am struggling with and really don't understand...is that if the tires have a 80,000 mile warranty (if you buy them directly from a supplier) why doesn't the warranty apply if I bought a new car and the tires came on the car?

Because the tires you buy in the aftermarket are not always the same as the ones that come on the vehicle. It may be the same size and have the same name on the side, but OEM tires are specifically designed and engineered to work on the vehicle. Many compromises have to be made, sometimes you have to give away treadwear to get stopping distance, or fuel economy, or noise, or whatever else the OEM decides is most important. The tires that are sold in the aftermarket are designed and engineered by the tire manufacturers, who often have a totally different set of priorities. The costs of tread warranties are baked into the price of an aftermarket tire. That price is SUBSTANTIALLY higher than what the OEMs are paying for them.

#11 OFFLINE   Winkie

Winkie

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

Well it seems Im not alone! My car is just over 1 year old, I have "80,000 mile" tires which already need replacing! I find this to be quite rediculous! We did all the proper maintenance...allignments, rotations everything as outlined in the owners manual. My tread wear is so bad that the vehicle just barely passed my annual state inspection. This problem was recently noted in an issue of Consumer Reports. Like it seems is happening with so many, we are being told that there is no warranty coverage for the tires. Has anyone contacted Ford Motor Company about this problem? Has anyone had any success in getting their tires prorated? Winters coming soon, I need new tires, but really dont want to drop close to $1000 just before Christmas.

#12 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

I got my 2010 used a couple of months ago, and it had new Goodyears on it, so I'm assuming the original tires were shot (35,000 miles). I don't know what brand they were, but it tallies with you other posters' tire mileage.

#13 OFFLINE   bgougler

bgougler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 21 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex EcoBoost Limited

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

I got my 2010 used a couple of months ago, and it had new Goodyears on it, so I'm assuming the original tires were shot (35,000 miles). I don't know what brand they were, but it tallies with you other posters' tire mileage.

My (new to me ) 2010 Flex Limited Eco has Goodyear all season tires. I bought it with 19,000 miles -
my dealer told me I MUST rotate the tire with every old change - every 5000 miles and this engine / AWD package will eat tires

#14 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:04 AM

Hankook tires are P.O.S....if you read reviews you will see...I bargained with the dealer i bought my car from for a swap and they installed Goodrich T/A radials...If your car is properly aligned and you keep the pressures correct wear should still be even enough not to ruin tires...I don't care if it's a 4wd, FWD or AWD...Yes it is recommended and i do it but there have been tests done and they showed them a few years ago on 20/20 or Dateline that the difference between rotating and not rotating and differences were minimal at best... Crappy tires are crappy tires...Hankoks are crappy tires. When i was at the dealer they had 3 piles, good, better & Best and the Hankook Optimo were in the Good pile...
Any dealer takes bids for the best price on tires and puts them on, as long as the meet the specs needed by the car....Had the same problem with my 05 Taurus that came with POS Continentals that lasted 25000 miles... Rated 80000 my hairy A**. There are plenty of good tires out there...do your homework. keep them inflated properly and rotated every 10000 miles.

#15 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 276 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

FWIW the Hankooks on my '11 SE are holding up at 20K miles.

Edited by mmsstar, 27 November 2011 - 04:38 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:07 AM

Good for you...you must have found the "Feng Shui" spot in your driving style and air pressure combo.

#17 OFFLINE   Vogie01

Vogie01

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts
  • Current Vehicle:09 Flex SE, 02 Bonneville SLE

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

My 09 SE has 31,000 miles on it and it still has the Goodyear Assurance that came on it when we bought it brand new, and they are completely gone. I have kept up with alignments, pressure, and rotation. I have noticed that the alignment on our Flex is very touchy and I have had it check many times to find that it is off. Not sure what is making it do that but, I am not a fan of Good for a years anyway, so no surprise.

#18 OFFLINE   monte

monte

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 38 posts
  • Current Vehicle:F150, Explorer, 2012 Flex Limited w/EcoBoost

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

My 2012 has 20" Goodyear Eagles. I will be curious to how many miles I will get out of these.

Monte

#19 OFFLINE   JohnSkurka

JohnSkurka

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

My 2012 has 20" Goodyear Eagles. I will be curious to how many miles I will get out of these.

Monte

30,500 and I need new ones bad. Hope I can make it to Saturday.
Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

That's an alignment problem. It looks like the camber was off, since the inside of the tire is worn, but no feathering on the tread. Good thing you caught the tire when you did - that's a dangerous tire!

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·