Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Can a Flex REALLY tow 450lb tongue weight?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Quickstep192

Quickstep192

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

I have no doubt that the Flex's can tow a 4500 lb trailer, but I've heard accounts that draw into question its ability to handle 450lbs of tongue weight on a coil spring suspension. Does anyone have any real world experience with this?

#2 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:04 AM

Yes, it'll do fine, as long as you use a weight distributing hitch. Putting 6 adults in the Flex will put the same amount of weight on the rear suspension.

Edited by Waldo, 17 November 2010 - 06:04 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   eosBlue

eosBlue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

I haven't maxed my rig out yet, but I have towed my boat (probably around 3500# including the trailer) AND with 4 adults in the Flex (estimated at around 850#) plus a bunch of gear in the back of the Flex. I have no idea as to how the base engine performs, but my ECO pulled this load without any problems and with lots of power. I DID use the lower gear selection (M) which keeps the Flex in lower gears when towing. My mileage was around 13-14MPG while in this towing mode.

I have the standard factory towing hitch. I don't fully understand what a weight distributing hitch is, but from my observation, it's not necessary for my towing operation. My setup seems very stable with little or no swaying at freeway speeds. I try to limit my max speed to around 60 MPH when towing, but I think it would easily do 75 as well. My theory is a lot of bad things can happen while towing including blowouts, etc and I don't want to press my luck by doing more than 60.

Also, I feel that the Flex braking is at best POOR when towing. My trailer has inertia brakes which don't seem to do much unless I slam the Flex brakes. I wish my trailer had electric brakes, but it is what it is and I really only do one or two extended towing trips a year (over 300 miles). I've wondered if having the boat trailer on the back of my Flex is taking some of the weight off the front wheels which reduces the braking ability. Anyway, the braking is certainly CRAPPY. I allow plenty of extra room when following a vehicle ahead. A couple of times I thought I was going to rear end vehicles ahead when stopping.

Edited by eosBlue, 18 November 2010 - 10:07 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:16 AM

I've wondered if having the boat trailer on the back of my Flex is taking some of the weight off the front wheels which reduces the braking ability.

Yep, that's what a weight distributing hitch would fix.

#5 OFFLINE   eosBlue

eosBlue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:29 AM

Yep, that's what a weight distributing hitch would fix.

I'll have to do some more research about a WDH. However, even without my trailer hooked up. I don't think the braking ability of my '10 Flex Limited is anything to brag about. So far I haven't been able to find a test report of the braking distance from say 60 MPH to compare with other similar vehicles. I did read a test on Edmonds.com that reported the braking ability as "average" (whatever that means.) Certainly doesn't sound great. The short version is to allow some extra distance from the vehicle ahead and some more when towing a load.

FWIW, I love my Flex and wouldn't give it up for anything I see out there.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·