Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Overheating

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hanner T

Hanner T

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

I've had my 2009 Flex since July of 2009. I am a sales rep so I needed a good size car to carry samples and the like. I've had some problems but my dealer has been great about fixing them: new brake pads, rotors turned, etc. The current problem is that the car overheats while idling or in stop and go traffic. I have been in traffic with other cars but have never had this happen. Anyone else having this problem?

#2 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

I've had my 2009 Flex since July of 2009. I am a sales rep so I needed a good size car to carry samples and the like. I've had some problems but my dealer has been great about fixing them: new brake pads, rotors turned, etc. The current problem is that the car overheats while idling or in stop and go traffic. I have been in traffic with other cars but have never had this happen. Anyone else having this problem?

No such experience. Ours has 24,000km and has been flawless.

#3 OFFLINE   eosBlue

eosBlue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

Have you checked the fluid level in the radiator? I would think if it were low, that might cause the engine to overheat.

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:35 AM

I think there were some issues with low coolant levels, so that's definitely the first thing to check. Otherwise there's no good reason you should have any overheating trouble. Are you sure that it's "really" overheating and it's not just the temperature sensor that's reading incorrectly? Is the air conditioning still working the properly?

#5 OFFLINE   BVaincourt

BVaincourt

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

I have a 2009 Ford Flex Limited. My car has been over heating now and was serviced for the Thermostate (as it was installed by Ford incorrectly/upside down) costing roughly $150.00. This did not resolve the problem. After another diagnositc service of $90.00 they have located it as being the cooling fan. This is a well known problem in the Flex and in the 2009 model. Both the dealership where I purchased it from and the dealership where it was serviced have been of zero assistance and actually rather rude in the process. I contacted the Customer Service line 1-800-565-3673 and was also informed there was nothing that could be done until a recall was issued. I could simply pay for this repair and if and when a recall is issued I would be refunded. When I enquired about who else I might be able to speak to in regards to a recall being issued, how long and how many complaints need to be noted for a recall to be issued, who eventually decides this ... I was told there was no one for me to speak to, there were no answers for me. Rather I just go and pay for my car to be fixed and suck it up basically. I have owned my Flex for 1 year. In this year with only having 120,000 km (currently) on it I have had the brakes replaced 6 months after purchase when the report at purchase said my brakes were 100%, I have my second row of seating that will not move because the mechanism is shot, I have an improperly installed thermostat and now a cooling fan issue and lord knows what else.

With absolutely zero resolve on Fords part. The only way a recall is going to be issued is if enough people contact the Customer Service Dept 1-800-565-3673 and complain about the issues.

I have a 6 year old and another child on the way and am certainly not going to leave myself in the position of being stuck on the side of the road with a broken down car and children with me. So obviously I am going to have to repair the vehicle but if this is something you are experiencing speak up to Customer Service.

#6 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 242 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

To poorly quote Forrest Gump, "Buying a used car is like a box of Chocolates" You just don't know what you are going to get. 

#7 OFFLINE   FordServiceCA

FordServiceCA

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Flex

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:34 AM

I have a 2009 Ford Flex Limited. My car has been over heating now and was serviced for the Thermostate (as it was installed by Ford incorrectly/upside down) costing roughly $150.00. This did not resolve the problem. After another diagnositc service of $90.00 they have located it as being the cooling fan. This is a well known problem in the Flex and in the 2009 model. Both the dealership where I purchased it from and the dealership where it was serviced have been of zero assistance and actually rather rude in the process...

Hi BVaincourt,

I understand your frustration and will be happy to look into your concern. Feel free to choose other dealers, as they are owned and operated independently. To locate one, click on this link: http://www.ford.ca/dealerships/locate/ I suggest making an appointment and getting back to me with your booking arrangements; I’ll assess the next step. Also, recalls are VIN specific; Please PM me yours, I will research it.  ;) 

Kwasi

#8 OFFLINE   courtjester1111

courtjester1111

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 ford flex

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

I am also having a cooling fan issue. I had them run a diagnostic test and it showed the cooking fan module was shorting out. I replaced the module at a whopping $384.00, only to have the problem continue. My radiator coolant level is good. I did the replacement of the module myself. Is there something else I need to do???

#9 OFFLINE   Iwannarock

Iwannarock

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 for flex

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

I am having a problem where the fans simply don't work none whatsoever on my 09. This is the first and last ford I will ever buy

#10 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

I am having a problem where the fans simply don't work none whatsoever on my 09. This is the first and last ford I will ever buy

Welcome to the forum!

I want to look into this further; can you please let me know your current mileage?

Meagan

#11 OFFLINE   69cat

69cat

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

New to this forum join in because I'm having the same problem as a lot of 2009  flex owner are having with their a/c and over heating problems. We got strained 50 miles from home on Sat. night good thing we had AAA. Called Ford service center after reading on line about this problem with the fan control module  to see if there was a recall that I missed  they acted like they've never heard of this (I think they were lying to me) no help. Leaving for vac. in couple of weeks may have to use inlaws chevy to get there and back. I've had it for 6 months love the room and mileage.  

#12 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

New to this forum join in because I'm having the same problem as a lot of 2009  flex owner are having with their a/c and over heating problems. We got strained 50 miles from home on Sat. night good thing we had AAA. Called Ford service center after reading on line about this problem with the fan control module  to see if there was a recall that I missed  they acted like they've never heard of this (I think they were lying to me) no help. Leaving for vac. in couple of weeks may have to use inlaws chevy to get there and back. I've had it for 6 months love the room and mileage.  

Welcome to the Forum and sorry to hear of your problems.

Download this TSB 14-0019, it describes an engine overheat issue with the radiator fans.

http://fordflexforum...x-tsbs/?p=14245

#13 OFFLINE   69cat

69cat

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

Just bought a new fan module installed about an hour ago took it for a test drive still no fans when it warms up.... a/c still blowing warm air... getting warmer myself

Edited by 69cat, 24 July 2015 - 08:04 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

Just bought a new fan module installed about an hour ago took it for a test drive still no fans when it warms up a/c starts blowing warm air...... vacations about a week away... ... Fords  response they'll look into the issue... what a joke....

Is there a fuse or big fuse that's inline somewhere?

#15 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 242 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

On my 2011 fuse F28 in the engine compartment panel is for the cooling fans. It's an 80 amp fuse

#16 OFFLINE   69cat

69cat

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

Finally found the problem. The small white wire with a blue stripe coming from the PCM. rubbed on the plug-ins plastic housing ,right where it plugs into the module, cutting a small hole in the lining of the wire which caused the wire  to corrode and created a short. If your fans aren't working check to see if you have resistance, with a omhs meter,  between the small wire in your plug-in and your battery's  ground. If you have no  resistance  switch leads try again, if you still have no resistance check your wire right where it bends over the plug to see if there is a small cut in the wire you may have a short ..... Maybe I just got lucky.

Edited by 69cat, 05 September 2015 - 01:00 PM.

• mmsstar and GrySql like this

#17 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

Finally found the problem. The small white wire with a blue stripe coming from the comp. rubbed on the plug-ins plastic housing ,right where it plugs into the module, cutting a small hole in the lining of the wire which caused the wire  to corrode and created a short. If your fans aren't working check to see if you have resistance, with a omhs meter,  between the small wire in your plug-in and your battery's  ground. If you have no  resistance  switch leads try again, if you still have no resistance check your wire right where it bends over the plug to see if there is a small cut in the wire you may have a short ..... Maybe I just got lucky.

Good info, that may help someone else in the future.  Glad you got it fixed!

#18 OFFLINE   Jeremyf

Jeremyf

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex AWD Limited

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

I'm having this problem as well in my 2009 with 70,000 miles. Anyone have any luck getting ford to cover the fan/controller replaced under warranty?

#19 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:53 AM

I'm having this problem as well in my 2009 with 70,000 miles. Anyone have any luck getting ford to cover the fan/controller replaced under warranty?

Contact our Ford Rep via PM and see if she can help in any way.

http://fordflexforum...ustomerservice/

Edited by GrySql, 23 August 2015 - 06:54 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   69cat

69cat

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:04 AM

Will here it is a month after i thought I had my cooling problem fixed... new relay... fixed bad wire... and my fans stopped working again... GREAT...Ford won't listen and acts like this is the first time they've heard of this problem when you call and talk to them...Would like to know if its wiring harness issue or PCM. issue? The relay has constant power even when the key is off.... so the white wire is controlled from the PCM?  Going to look at the plug connection at the PCM and check the ohms... "FORD QUALITY IS JOB ONE"... isn't that their old slogan    All companies have their issues that they  need to stand up and take responsibility for    

Edited by 69cat, 05 September 2015 - 01:02 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·