Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission - hard shifts and leaks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Branden

Branden

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

Okay, so on Thursday our Flex (2010, Ecoboost Limited) experienced a hard downshift as we pulled up our driveway. Thought it odd, but didn't think too much of it. Then I was out taking my daughter to hockey on Friday and it felt like the transmission didn't know what gear it wanted to be in as I was accelerating or slowing, but was fine at constant speed. Also experienced a couple of hard shifts at low range. So, I did some looking and found that I wasn't the only one experiencing these symptoms. But much to my dismay, I have now noticed that the Flex has been bleeding tranny fluid on the driveway (didn't notice it at first because the driveway is asphalt and we've had wet weather at the end last week). Anyone else experience this issue. Will be calling the dealership tomorrow to see about getting it towed there because I don't want to drive it anywhere.

Also, how the heck do you check the tranny level in the Ecoboost Flexes? I can see the cap, but it looks like I have to remove the air intake to get at it. Is this an easy proposition, or an onerous one?

#2 OFFLINE   Branden

Branden

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

Sounds like it's only a leak at the tranny cooler. Which should be a pretty easy fix. I wonder if the warranty covers the mess it made?

#3 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:15 PM

Sounds like it's only a leak at the tranny cooler. Which should be a pretty easy fix. I wonder if the warranty covers the mess it made?

Depends on size of leak. If 2-3 ounces then they might give you a fresh roll of Bounty. :hysterical:

If you lost 1-2 quarts, I'd demand that they accept the bill for cleaning and any repairs needed to the asphalt. :angry:

#4 OFFLINE   lryan8

lryan8

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

We have had a similar issue.
Bought our 2011 Flex Limited in Sept 2010. Day 1 it would not go into gear a few times when starting out from a stop and also had delay shifting up here and there Day 2 it would not go into reverse. The dealership indicated it needed a new selinoid body. Since that time we have had the same issue where it feels like it won't go into gear starting out from a stop, but it is inconsistent. We have had it back to the dealer twice since and they say they cant find anything wrong or reproduce the problem. Last week we notice a red oily fluid dripping on to the garage floor. It is back in the shop. No word yet on the diagnosis, but they can't deny the drip. If you have any ideas, please share.

#5 OFFLINE   Ducdave

Ducdave

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Flex

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

2011 Ltd Ecoboost with ~3400 miles About a week ago, returning from a 1000 mile trip to and from Virgina, towing a trailer with two race bikes, the tranny clunked a couple times then sort of spun up. Smoke in the cabin. Pulled over, called roadside assistance. Towed Flex and Trailer to dealer in NJ. Rented a can and drove home. Next day dealer told me the intercooler needed to be replaced. Drove back to NJ the following day from NH and picked it up and towed the trailer home. Monday (2 days later) I noticed transmission fluid on the garage floor. Took to a local dealer. They cleaned up a lot of the undercarraige and pans and said they thought the problem was just residual fluid from the original problem. Now, tonight, I see it has leaked a little more on the papers I set down. Will be calling the dealer tomorrow.

Any of you all had any updates?

I'm very dissapointed....

#6 OFFLINE   lryan8

lryan8

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

2011 Ltd Ecoboost with ~3400 miles About a week ago, returning from a 1000 mile trip to and from Virgina, towing a trailer with two race bikes, the tranny clunked a couple times then sort of spun up. Smoke in the cabin. Pulled over, called roadside assistance. Towed Flex and Trailer to dealer in NJ. Rented a can and drove home. Next day dealer told me the intercooler needed to be replaced. Drove back to NJ the following day from NH and picked it up and towed the trailer home. Monday (2 days later) I noticed transmission fluid on the garage floor. Took to a local dealer. They cleaned up a lot of the undercarraige and pans and said they thought the problem was just residual fluid from the original problem. Now, tonight, I see it has leaked a little more on the papers I set down. Will be calling the dealer tomorrow.

#7 OFFLINE   lryan8

lryan8

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

Disappointment would be an understatement. Our car has been back in the shop at least 3 additional times since Dec 2010 (6 total now). The transmission fluid was leaking on 2 separate occasions for which there were actual parts replaced to "fix”. The car still has the transmission slip problem at very low speeds and at times it has a very pronounced delay going into gear from reverse into drive. There has been no resolution to these issues. They say because nothing shows up on the computer as a problem, there are no lights on and they have not been able to reproduce the issue, they don't know what I want them to do.
Is there a bigger underlying problem? Is their incompetence causing recurring problems? Are they not taking enough time or skill to figure out the issue? Wish we knew.
We have emailed Ford which amounted to nothing. We have also contacted Ford on the phone to log an additional complaint and ask for assistance. The rep says based on her research the car is operating as expected. I am baffled as to how anyone could think having a brand new car in the shop for transmission repairs 6 times in the first 8 months of ownership is normal…especially since it is still having problems. She also noted that if we have further complaints we should go through the State Lemon Law process. How is that for assistance?

#8 OFFLINE   Ducdave

Ducdave

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Flex

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

So, took it back to dealer today. I forgot to note that last time I was in they put some dye in the intercooler (i guess its not an actual 'transmission' leak) that would allow them to see where the leak was originating. They were great about getting me in but concluded that I am still seeing 'seepage' from the original issue. There is a 'belly pan' that covers a lot of the undercarraige and its padded on the upside so a lot of liquid could have soaked in. Anyway, they used a black light and check the fluid levels again. BTW, the drops are very few. Maybe a tablespoon. So, I am accepting the explanation that its just residual leaking for now. I'm really not experiencing the issues you are having lyran8. That sucks. :angry:

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·