Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Stone damage to windshield - needed replacement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jadkins1000

jadkins1000

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

I took a stout stone impact on an urban freeway. The impact point was 1.5" from the bottom of the windshield, 4" left of center. The crack appeared within 10 minutes and lengthened to 1 foot+ overnight. Ugly.

OEM replacement came to $420.

Brand new windshields are sure pretty to look through, tho'!!!

#2 OFFLINE   slickster100

slickster100

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:07 PM

I took a stout stone impact on an urban freeway. The impact point was 1.5" from the bottom of the windshield, 4" left of center. The crack appeared within 10 minutes and lengthened to 1 foot+ overnight. Ugly.

OEM replacement came to $420.

Brand new windshields are sure pretty to look through, tho'!!!

The same thing just happend to me tonight in the same place as yours!! I think there may be defective glass. Going to cost me $450. Time to change my deductable. I have never had glass crack in the 25 years I have been driving. Think somethings wrong with this picture? Also had squeaking noise from windshield when it gets nice and hot outside and go over bumps. I guess we will see if the new windshield fixes that!

#3 OFFLINE   kje

kje

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 ford flex awd limited eco boost

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

interesting. i have a 2010 - stone crack around the same place - stayed that way for 3 months and has spread in differenet directions over the past 2 weeks. I asked the dealer if they were using cheaper glass or something as I have never had this happen in 30 years i've been driving. answer was no, common damage, no warranty coverage. $500 to replace

#4 OFFLINE   tom4158

tom4158

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Flex AWD

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

I am on my second Flex, and fifth windshield.  Prior to that, in 30 years of driving, I have replaced exactly ONE other windshield.

My personal opinion is that the angle of the windshield combined with stones from cars/trucks on the freeways create a perfect environment for cracks.

Every one of my broken windshields have come from stones thrown up by cars on the freeway.  Frustrating, but what are you going to do?

#5 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

I am on my second Flex, and fifth windshield.  Prior to that, in 30 years of driving, I have replaced exactly ONE other windshield.

My personal opinion is that the angle of the windshield combined with stones from cars/trucks on the freeways create a perfect environment for cracks.

Every one of my broken windshields have come from stones thrown up by cars on the freeway.  Frustrating, but what are you going to do?

Before I looked at your profile, I wondered if you're in Michigan like me!  I've never had a cracked windshield until I moved to this state - now I get them every few years.  I guess that's what happens when you're driving in 1946 German roads.  :runaway:

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·