Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Daytime Running Lamps

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TheMotoDiva

TheMotoDiva

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

Has anyone had success or care to share how they made this happen?

I'm thinking a photoeye cell attached to a string of high-lumen cool white LEDs strung within the headlamp housing. If anyone has done this, how did you power them? It's own relay off the battery, or did you tie into an existing switched source, like taillamps?

#2 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:05 AM

Why not just go to the dealer and tell them to turn on the DRL feature? All Flexes have it, it just has to be turned on inside the computer software.

#3 OFFLINE   twillows

twillows

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

This might sound like a jerry rigged thing to do, but it has worked flawlessly for me, and I read about it here on this forum.

Put a small piece of black elecrical tape, about 3/4" square over the photoelectric sensor that's located in the center of the dash, almost where the windshield meets the dash itself. Then the sensor will think it's nighttime all the time and the headlights stay on during the daytime and shut off automatically when you park the car and remove the keys. (just like when you drive home at night and exit the car).

Greyhound bus cut its accident rate 50% back in the fifties when they were the first to run with their headlights on all the time. Our family has run with the headlights on ever since then, and rarely ever have somebody come at us head on, which I credit to having a light in their face. Duh!

Ted in Orlando

#4 OFFLINE   TheMotoDiva

TheMotoDiva

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

good thought (about covering the sensor), but unfortunately that sensor also feeds the auto control for the climate system. It will do the job for keeping the lights on, though.
Again, I'm hesitant for the long-term affects of the heat from the HIDs. I can just see that causing distortion or blistering of the reflective surface in the lamp housing .
Yeah, I'm just going to have them activate the fogs. Not ideal, and not where folks are expecting to look (we expect to see driving lights IN the headlights, not below in the lower fascia), but it gets the job done.

#5 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:16 AM

good thought (about covering the sensor), but unfortunately that sensor also feeds the auto control for the climate system.

True, the climate system uses that dash sensor to adjust for sunload, so if you have the automatic climate system, you're probably feeling warmer than you should. That sensor also controls when the dash lights come on and dim. Driving around with that sensor covered means you always have the center stack lights on and the cluster lights dimmed.

It's much better to just enable the DRL function.

#6 OFFLINE   howied

howied

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Flex

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

Has anyone installed led drl's on their Flex,want to install them but can't find where to connect them when ignition is turned on/off need some direction????
Help anyone!!!!

Edited by howied, 30 June 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   turbodave

turbodave

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Lincoln MKT, Ecoboost, Crystal Champagne

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

good thought (about covering the sensor), but unfortunately that sensor also feeds the auto control for the climate system. It will do the job for keeping the lights on, though.
Again, I'm hesitant for the long-term affects of the heat from the HIDs. I can just see that causing distortion or blistering of the reflective surface in the lamp housing .
Yeah, I'm just going to have them activate the fogs. Not ideal, and not where folks are expecting to look (we expect to see driving lights IN the headlights, not below in the lower fascia), but it gets the job done.

Any light on the front of the vehicle will get the attention you need. I just went to the dealer and had them turn the DRL feature on. Easy programming for them. My fogs are the DRL's...On anytime the the car is not in park and engine running.

#8 OFFLINE   cosshog

cosshog

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts
  • Current Vehicle:harley

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Asked dealer today to turn on DRL's they said they hooked it up but feature was unavailible. 2012 Limited with Ecoboost has anyone else been told this? I am calling Ford customer service tommorrow to inquier further before I go aftermarket. DRL's make such a huge differance on being seen I am unsure why they are not making this standard on a vehicle that they boast about safety on. My 2002 chevy had them for petes sake.

#9 OFFLINE   turbodave

turbodave

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

Asked dealer today to turn on DRL's they said they hooked it up but feature was unavailible. 2012 Limited with Ecoboost has anyone else been told this? I am calling Ford customer service tommorrow to inquier further before I go aftermarket. DRL's make such a huge differance on being seen I am unsure why they are not making this standard on a vehicle that they boast about safety on. My 2002 chevy had them for petes sake.

Sounds like a lazy or uninformed tech to me. Tell them to go to their online service manual and do a search on DRL. It will tell them how to do it. The feature is available on every Ford product, it has to be, it's mandetory in Canada.

It only took a few minutes for the Ford Lincoln dealership I went to, to get them turned on vea his laptop.

#10 OFFLINE   cosshog

cosshog

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Lets go with uninformed and lazy. I called back to dealership and spoke with service mngr who aplogized multiple times and asked if I would bring it back in to have the DRL's turned. Taking it back next week, will update when finished.

#11 OFFLINE   cosshog

cosshog

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Does the automatic headlight feature work with the drl's? Just read that it may not.

#12 OFFLINE   turbodave

turbodave

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

Mine work just fine. Why wouldn't they? You reading about aftermarket DRL's maybe?

#13 OFFLINE   cosshog

cosshog

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

It was on the edge forum, someone had said when they activatied the drl's they only worked when the lights were in the off position and not when the switch was in the automatic position. I will find out tues morning.
Thank you for your help.

#14 OFFLINE   cosshog

cosshog

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

FAIL the dealer spent 2hrs trying to figure it out (remember this is the 2nd time I have taken it over to them for this both times no success) they had a call into tech support and were waiting for reply. I could not wait any longer and told them to call me. They said they found it and turned it on but it was not working with HID lights. Ford is not succedding in making me think that they have improved over the years. We will see. :dreamy:

#15 OFFLINE   turbodave

turbodave

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

That is so ODD!! It was on this Flex forum

here...... http://fordflexforum...ing-lights-drl/

That I learned how to deal with the dealership to get them turned on in my Lincoln MKT (Flex sister)

I don't know what HID's would have to do with it, mine has HIDs.

Here's an idea.... Have your Ford tech/service guy give my Ford dealership a call and they can maybe help. Have them call service at 865-693-7707, and ask for Ted Frynkewicz. May he can help.
  • cosshog likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

FAIL the dealer spent 2hrs trying to figure it out (remember this is the 2nd time I have taken it over to them for this both times no success) they had a call into tech support and were waiting for reply. I could not wait any longer and told them to call me. They said they found it and turned it on but it was not working with HID lights. Ford is not succedding in making me think that they have improved over the years. We will see. :dreamy:

The HID lights have nothing to do with the DRL. When you have HIDs, the DRL is the fog light. Are the foglights working as DRLs?

#17 OFFLINE   cosshog

cosshog

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

No nothing has been changed as of yet except 3 total hrs of my time I am not getting back.

#18 OFFLINE   cosshog

cosshog

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

Dealer called back and said tech support does not recomend doing this and would not give them further assistance. I will be trying another service center next week guess they have a chance to win my buisness, maybe Ford has not changed as much as I had thought when I bought this vehicle. There service centers were not anygood 15 years ago when I owened my last ford and they now do not appear to be any different.

#19 OFFLINE   turbodave

turbodave

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Doesn't recommend it???????? It's Federally mandated in Canada. Wonder what tech support has to say about the 10's of thousands of Ford products running around Canada with DRL's activated??

The mere fact that this dealership you're dealing with had to go to tech support for such a simple procedure should tell you they don't even know how to read the Service Manual, either hard copy or online.

Edited by turbodave, 10 August 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   cosshog

cosshog

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Mad Props to Germain Ford in columbus OH, I stopped in to see if they could enable my DRL's and explained my history with previos dealer, Service Mngr said "sure we will takea look could you give me 1 min Please" , I said sure I will be waiting by the car because my 3yr son had just fallen asleep in his seat. So I waited by the car and a min later the mngr and one of the techs walked out with a laptop plugged it in enabled them and said there you go. I asked what I owed and they said dont worry about it, I said thank you and was on my way. Needless to say I am switching dealerships for all my service needs. Much happier now, Also thank you Waldo and Turbodave for help along the way. :hi5:

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·