Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Brake Problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frankn1959@Yahoo.com

Frankn1959@Yahoo.com

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

Hi all, we have had a Flex limited for about one year now. We absolutely love the vehicle. However, we have had a problem with the brakes making loud grinding noises very often. Seems it happens mostly when ground is wet. However, not always when wet. I have had the car into the dealership at least three times. First time they ordered some parts from Ford. Took about one week to fix it. But there was no change. Since then they keep looking into the problem when I bring it in but they say nothing is wrong. I know something is wrong with it but I trust they know what they are doing. I don't think the problem is serious but am trying to figure out if anyone else has experienced these loud noises upon braking. Thanks all.

#2 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

Hi all, we have had a Flex limited for about one year now. We absolutely love the vehicle. However, we have had a problem with the brakes making loud grinding noises very often. Seems it happens mostly when ground is wet. However, not always when wet. I have had the car into the dealership at least three times. First time they ordered some parts from Ford. Took about one week to fix it. But there was no change. Since then they keep looking into the problem when I bring it in but they say nothing is wrong. I know something is wrong with it but I trust they know what they are doing. I don't think the problem is serious but am trying to figure out if anyone else has experienced these loud noises upon braking. Thanks all.

A few simple searches of this site will likely reveal the nature of your issues including TSB (technical service bulletin) numbers. Remember, search is your friend...

#3 OFFLINE   Feets

Feets

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

I've had the same situation, but haven't been able to narrow it down to when it's wet. I'll have to watch for that!

#4 OFFLINE   jakethewhale

jakethewhale

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

We have had the same noise problem. It was only when wet. The pedal also feels rough but it definately was not the ABS. The edge of the PS front rotor seemed unfinished. The Flex was delivered 2-1-10 and had ~ 7000 miles at the service. Limited w/ 20inch wheels.
The dealer used the kit which they had to order, machined the rotors and replaced the pads. I believe the pad was a new compound. My service rep noted having the same problem & work done on his Taurus.
It has only been a few weeks but the issue is gone for now.

#5 OFFLINE   glenns

glenns

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

My 2010 ecoboost has emits a grinding noise from the front brakes after they have been wet and dried. I believe rust on the rotors is the cause. A few times braking and the rust rubs off and they return to normal.

#6 OFFLINE   cays toy

cays toy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:55 AM

had same problem dealership replaced rotors pads and calipers for free problem went away

#7 OFFLINE   polarflex

polarflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

I also love the 2009 Flex Limited but I feel it's not going to hold up to my driving demands. I avrage 800 to 1000 miles a week. My 09 Flex just hit a year old with 40K miles. Replaced the front brakes at 25K rear brakes are now grinding away. I just order new rotors and pads from Ford direct. I picked up a few hunded pounds of floor tile for my new bathroom the rear of the Flex was dragging. I feel Ford needs to re think the brakes and surspension system on the Flex. The Flex replaced my 07 Ford Explorer. I returned the Explorer to Ford with 98k miles. I had very few repairs with the Explorer. Just went back to check my records the explorer had it's first and last brakes installed at 74K. I believe the Flex is going to cost too much in repair for me to keep it for 3 years. New problem came up this week the electric fans for the radator run extesive after I shut down and leave the car. I aslo find the trans slip once and awhile can't realy see why.

#8 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

It's the pad compound that is causing the noise. Mine do the same thing. The rotors and caliper size isn't too bad, but the pads fade way too fast. Once you heat them to smoking, they tend to not work as well, and with the Ecoboost, I can get the car up to high speeds quickly, which means slowing it down heats up brakes quickly too. First day I had It I got to 110 and slowed it down, smoking the brakes.

Polarflex, I have loaded over 800 pounds of Horse food and shavings in my Flex, and it never dragged its tail. Are you sure it was only a couple hundred pounds?

#9 OFFLINE   sandym_25

sandym_25

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 ford flex

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

There is definitely something wrong. I took mine in to the dealer yesterday and they called me and said Ford had an issue with the brakes and they had the parts to fix it and I would get my car back later that day. With that, he told me my front tires were worn and it was due to not having them rotated. He didn't want to rotate them because the worn tires would effect the braking system in the back. I have 13K miles on that car. I have NEVER had to replace tires at 13K. When I expressed my concerns to the lady in the service dept when picking up my car, she was at first, surprised and asked who told me that. Then she looked on the computer and immediately said, "have you had your tires rotated since you have had it?" To which I said no and she said, "that's why".

Seriously?? 12,999 miles and I have worn tires? Houston, we have a problem!! I think the brake problem wore my tires and they don't want to fess up. They tried to sell me 2 new tires for $185 each. No thanks, but I do intend to follow up!

#10 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:39 AM

Seriously?? 12,999 miles and I have worn tires? Houston, we have a problem!! I think the brake problem wore my tires and they don't want to fess up. They tried to sell me 2 new tires for $185 each. No thanks, but I do intend to follow up!

No, there is no way even remotely possible that brake problems could ever cause worn tires. Just not physically possible. It could be that the alignment is off a bit, but it's also quite likely that they are exaggerating the wear a little bit. However with the increased emphasis on fuel economy these days, tires become a very important factor. Manufacturers have to make compromises in tire design that can mean shorter life in order to get better fuel economy, ride, steering and braking. So rotating tires is even more important now than it ever was in the past.

#11 OFFLINE   omio

omio

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

had same problem dealership replaced rotors pads and calipers for free problem went away

We have had this done now twice and it is going in on Tuesday for the third time. The TSB was performed both times and it appears to only be a temporary fix. It is now affecting the rear brakes as well, same issue.

#12 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 278 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

We have had this done now twice and it is going in on Tuesday for the third time. The TSB was performed both times and it appears to only be a temporary fix. It is now affecting the rear brakes as well, same issue.

There have been several different TSB's re the brakes. If you haven't had the most recent one done then that is likely why the problem has returned. I believe the current TSD replaces everything but the calipers with the same parts used on the new Explorer

#13 OFFLINE   WSUandUCfan

WSUandUCfan

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

I am not sure if my brake problem is related, but here is what I am experiencing:
It seems as the weather gets warmer (July in Ohio as I write) there is a squealing noise that occurs during normal driving. I do not notice this when I first begin driving. It happens after a few miles. Maybe temperature of the metals are hotter and causing the problem. If I lightly tap on the brakes, I do not hear any noise. When I am depressing the brakes, I do not hear any squealing. Do you experts think the TSB covers this? 2009 Flex.

#14 OFFLINE   SchillingerSays

SchillingerSays

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:24 PM

I am not sure if my brake problem is related, but here is what I am experiencing:
It seems as the weather gets warmer (July in Ohio as I write) there is a squealing noise that occurs during normal driving. I do not notice this when I first begin driving. It happens after a few miles. Maybe temperature of the metals are hotter and causing the problem. If I lightly tap on the brakes, I do not hear any noise. When I am depressing the brakes, I do not hear any squealing. Do you experts think the TSB covers this? 2009 Flex.

WSUandUCfan > Curious if you are still having this issue with the squealing noise when driving. I am having the exact same symptoms with my 2009 Flex SEL FWD. High pitch whine when driving but stops when breaks applied and doesn't reappear until a few miles and/or get up to speed. It seems to get louder everyday! Have you had any luck diagnosing the problem? Brakes? Bearings? other? I have the same issues with taking to the dealership, they always fix a phantom problem a few times before the actual issue. Thanks!

#15 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:39 PM

On a quiet road, at say 40 MPH, try wiggling the steering wheel side to side. As the weight of the car and the forces take hold, usually a bad bearing will change pitch, especially on a FWD. Mine makes a slight whining noise, but it must be very quiet in order to be heard. It does change pitch and loudness as I swerve left and right. It's so slight, I'm ignoring it, but will be paying attention as I go along. One of my wheel bearings is just not quite right (36,000 miles.)

#16 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:17 AM

Squeeling noises that change with brake apply are almost always the brake dust shield rubbing against the rotor or some kind of debris lodged between the shield and the rotor.

#17 OFFLINE   Misty Vee

Misty Vee

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:37 AM

I just replaced my rotors and pads on 2010 Flex on the rear. They were operating but making a pulsating in the pedal. Now both sides are sticking and I can't drive the car at all. What could possibly be the problem? I just don't see both calipers going bad at the same time.

#18 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

I just replaced my rotors and pads on 2010 Flex on the rear. They were operating but making a pulsating in the pedal. Now both sides are sticking and I can't drive the car at all. What could possibly be the problem? I just don't see both calipers going bad at the same time.

Did you bleed the brakes or disconnect the lines?  Can the parking brake be stuck?

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·