Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

HID headlight shield

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

The HID lights have a plastic shield as part of their design. One of mine was scratched before the sale, as if someone used a scraper or steel wool to try to scrape something off of it. The dealer was going to replace it with a new one because his attempt to buff the scratches out removed the anti-UV coating from the shield. They said the plastic would yellow over time without the coating.

Today, they say the unit would cost over $1000 to replace. They will instead obtain some of the UV coating to apply to the shield. I'm willing to go along with them, because I worked there for a year and never observed any attempt to cheat a customer about anything.

But my question is, Why is a headlight unit designed in a way that requires replacement of the whole $1000 unit if the plastic shield is damaged? Doesn't that just make it an expensive decorative accessory? Will it cost me $1000 when a headlight burns out?

Or is the dealer wrong? :blink:

#2 OFFLINE   kermit

kermit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

no ! if your bulb burns out , you dont have to replace the whole headlight housing just the bulb , i think the bulb is d3s or ds3 maybe from the dealer its about 150 to 200 smackaroos!!!! but yeah you dont have to change out the whole thing just the bulb, i took mine out last month to see what kind of bulb it is its easy to replace!

#3 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

no ! if your bulb burns out , you dont have to replace the whole headlight housing just the bulb , i think the bulb is d3s or ds3 maybe from the dealer its about 150 to 200 smackaroos!!!! but yeah you dont have to change out the whole thing just the bulb, i took mine out last month to see what kind of bulb it is its easy to replace!

I assume you mean that you took the bulb out last month, but did you do more than that? What I'm really curious about is, Did you find that the front shield is an integral part of the whole headlight housing unit?

The idea that the part is designed so that damage to the plastic protection shield means the whole thing has to be replaced drives me nuts. It's like designing a bumper that, if it's damaged, you have to replace the radiator too, even though the radiator isn't damaged.

#4 OFFLINE   kermit

kermit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

what do you mean the front shield ? if you have the stock HID's its a projector lamp and doesnt have the regular headlight housing and shield . unless we are talkigabout something totaly different ? you have any pics?! that would clear things up

#5 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

what do you mean the front shield ? if you have the stock HID's its a projector lamp and doesnt have the regular headlight housing and shield . unless we are talkigabout something totaly different ? you have any pics?! that would clear things up

No pictures. I'm technophobic today. FYI, we have a 2009 Limited, with HID headlamps that are listed as a specific standard "upgrade" from the SEL model. The lamp has a plastic shield/cover that wraps around it from next to the grill, passes in front of the headlight bulb, around to past the parking/turn signal light. The dealer says it's all part of a single unit, that is, the plastic shield/cover/whatever-it-is can't be replaced alone, the entire unit would have to be replaced. This cover seems to be a protection for the bulb and an air deflector for aerodynamics, and it looks good.

I haven't seen another one up close, so I don't know if it's different in the respect of the shield. Every headlight shown in the Flex model brochure looks just like mine.

Other than a snark against Ford for designing a crazily expensive headlight system, I'm trying to verify that the dealer is right--it's all one unit and the shield can't be replaced alone.

#6 OFFLINE   kermit

kermit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:28 AM

if its inside of the headlight housing it usually will have to replace the whole headlight assembly

#7 OFFLINE   RadonMan

RadonMan

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Flex SEL AWD

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

But my question is, Why is a headlight unit designed in a way that requires replacement of the whole $1000 unit if the plastic shield is damaged? Doesn't that just make it an expensive decorative accessory? Will it cost me $1000 when a headlight burns out?

The reason is two fold. One (and most importantly to Ford), Ford gets to sell a 1000 dollar part. Two is the fact that they seal the headlamp at the factory when they make those lamps. Once a bulb and its cover is installed, the headlamp is a "sealed" unit. The lens on a headlamp assembly is not impossible to replace, but you would have to purchase a headlamp assembly from somewhere, cut the lens out then glue the lens back into your housing. Might as well replace the entire unit.

When a bulb burns out, no you do not have to replace the entire assembly. The bulb is expensive, but should be readily available at a parts store nearby.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·