Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

I have a Sirius button, but no Sirius tuner, can I add my external Sirius unit to function?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   muphasta

muphasta

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

So, the radio has a Sirus button, but no tuner.

We have external/portable Sirius units ans I now have it connected to the 3.5mm Line-in jack. I am curious to know if I can somehow plug into the Sirius input on the head unit so I can use the Sirius input?

Please let me know if I've not provided enough info.

This is on a 2010 SE.

#2 OFFLINE   batmommy

batmommy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

We have external/portable Sirius units ans I now have it connected to the 3.5mm Line-in jack. I am curious to know if I can somehow plug into the Sirius input on the head unit so I can use the Sirius input?

Please let me know if I've not provided enough info.

This is on a 2010 SE.

Greetings from Georgia!

Do you have Sync? If so, there are arrow keys on the steering wheel and radio that let you navigate through different Sirius stations. There should have been a Sirius information card that came with your Flex Owner's Manual. Both will tell you how to change and set stations. Your dealer should have gone over all of that stuff with you at time of delivery - don't give him/her a good survey rating if he/she didn't. If you have time you should go back and have them go over it with you. Hope this helps.

#3 OFFLINE   muphasta

muphasta

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:28 AM

Greetings from Georgia!

Do you have Sync? If so, there are arrow keys on the steering wheel and radio that let you navigate through different Sirius stations. There should have been a Sirius information card that came with your Flex Owner's Manual. Both will tell you how to change and set stations. Your dealer should have gone over all of that stuff with you at time of delivery - don't give him/her a good survey rating if he/she didn't. If you have time you should go back and have them go over it with you. Hope this helps.

well, It isn't the fault of the salesman. I do have sync, and this is my 2nd Ford purchase in 2 months, both w/Sync.

I do have sync in this vehicle as I stated, but the Sirius button is non-functioning. There is no Sirius tuner in the vehicle. no tuner, no stations to go through.

My Fusion has Sync and Sirius and I know how to navigate.

I am just trying to find out if I can take the 3.5 mm output from my portable unit, and plug into the head unit in what would be the Sirius input.

#4 OFFLINE   batmommy

batmommy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

well, It isn't the fault of the salesman. I do have sync, and this is my 2nd Ford purchase in 2 months, both w/Sync.

I do have sync in this vehicle as I stated, but the Sirius button is non-functioning. There is no Sirius tuner in the vehicle. no tuner, no stations to go through.

My Fusion has Sync and Sirius and I know how to navigate.

I am just trying to find out if I can take the 3.5 mm output from my portable unit, and plug into the head unit in what would be the Sirius input.

Sorry...just trying to help.

#5 OFFLINE   muphasta

muphasta

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

Sorry...just trying to help.

No need to be sorry, I understand you are trying to help.

#6 OFFLINE   eosBlue

eosBlue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

I'm not sure what your question is. My Limited came with the free 6 month Sirius trial offer (I still have about 4 months to go). My hookup also has a 3.5mm input and I have played my Sirius App through my iPhone which seems to work fine as long as I have a 3G signal. I'm thinking of going to this method when my trial expires.

I have a friend who has a different make (Toyota Prius) which also came with a Sirius button, but no trial offer. He took the car to a radio shop where they plugged a Sirius module into the back of his radio which then made the Sirius button active. Of course, then he had to subscribe to a package of around $13 per month. So, if that's what you want to do, that choice is probably available. However, I doubt you will be able to plug your present Sirius unit into the back of the radio. The good news is that IF you're already paying for a package, the second unit is cheaper (I think a 2nd subscription is around $90 per year.

The bad thing no one seems to mention is that these after market Sirius radios usually have a problem in antenna placement. From what I've been able to tell, hiding the antenna under the dash degrades reception. That's why most factory installations include an antenna mounted on the roof of the car. I have another Sirius account on my VW Eos which has the antenna mount under the trunk lid due to the fact that it is a retractable hard top convertible.

FWIW, I'm paying $3 a month for Sirius on my iPhone. Tp get that deal, it's necessary to have a regular Sirius account on another vehicle.

#7 OFFLINE   muphasta

muphasta

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:09 AM

I'm not sure what your question is. My Limited came with the free 6 month Sirius trial offer (I still have about 4 months to go). My hookup also has a 3.5mm input and I have played my Sirius App through my iPhone which seems to work fine as long as I have a 3G signal. I'm thinking of going to this method when my trial expires.

I have a friend who has a different make (Toyota Prius) which also came with a Sirius button, but no trial offer. He took the car to a radio shop where they plugged a Sirius module into the back of his radio which then made the Sirius button active. Of course, then he had to subscribe to a package of around $13 per month. So, if that's what you want to do, that choice is probably available. However, I doubt you will be able to plug your present Sirius unit into the back of the radio. The good news is that IF you're already paying for a package, the second unit is cheaper (I think a 2nd subscription is around $90 per year.

The bad thing no one seems to mention is that these after market Sirius radios usually have a problem in antenna placement. From what I've been able to tell, hiding the antenna under the dash degrades reception. That's why most factory installations include an antenna mounted on the roof of the car. I have another Sirius account on my VW Eos which has the antenna mount under the trunk lid due to the fact that it is a retractable hard top convertible.

FWIW, I'm paying $3 a month for Sirius on my iPhone. Tp get that deal, it's necessary to have a regular Sirius account on another vehicle.

Ok, I'm not sure what I need to write to get my point across.

1. I have 2 lifetime subscriptions on external/portable Sirius units.
2.1. I do not have Sirius service in this Flex.
2.2. I do not want to add any module to the Flex.
3. I would like to take the 3.5mm output from the Sirius unit I have and find out what kind of input the back of the radio has and see if I can plug in to it.
4.1. I would like to avoid using the 3.5mm input jack since I can't use that and the USB input from my iPod.
4.2. if I have the USB plugged in and us it, I cannot switch to the 3.5mm line-in input.
4.3. if I switch to USB, I have to unplug the USB jack in order to switch back to the 3.5mm plug.

I don't mean to come across as a jerk or whatever, but as you can see from the date I posted the original question, I'm not getting very far. I want to avoid the dealership because I am sure that it will be a $500 visit just to connect what could be an RCA jack.

I do appreciate the attempt to help, I guess I just didn't realize that i wasn't making myself clear.

Edited by muphasta, 04 August 2010 - 06:12 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   eosBlue

eosBlue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Ok, I'm not sure what I need to write to get my point across.

1. I have 2 lifetime subscriptions on external/portable Sirius units.
2.1. I do not have Sirius service in this Flex.
2.2. I do not want to add any module to the Flex.
3. I would like to take the 3.5mm output from the Sirius unit I have and find out what kind of input the back of the radio has and see if I can plug in to it.
4.1. I would like to avoid using the 3.5mm input jack since I can't use that and the USB input from my iPod.
4.2. if I have the USB plugged in and us it, I cannot switch to the 3.5mm line-in input.
4.3. if I switch to USB, I have to unplug the USB jack in order to switch back to the 3.5mm plug.

I don't mean to come across as a jerk or whatever, but as you can see from the date I posted the original question, I'm not getting very far. I want to avoid the dealership because I am sure that it will be a $500 visit just to connect what could be an RCA jack.

I do appreciate the attempt to help, I guess I just didn't realize that i wasn't making myself clear.

I'm guessing the short answer is that you can't do ANYTHING as far as controlling an external Sirius radio though a 3.5mm connection other than play the unit through the AUX port. If you bought a Sirius module, perhaps that could be plugged into the back of the radio for what you want. YES, I know you don't want to do that. However, depending on when you bought your present lifetime subscriptions, you might be able to transfer one of your accounts to the Flex. I just did that with another vehicle that I have.

When I called Sirius to set it up, they gave me some static that they no longer allow transferring of lifetime subscriptions. I pointed out that I bought my lifetime subscription before that policy change and then they did the switch. My lifetime subscription was supposed to be good for 3 switches. When it comes time to switch again, I'm going to be on the horn to Sirius to honor my deal.

#9 OFFLINE   muphasta

muphasta

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

I'm guessing the short answer is that you can't do ANYTHING as far as controlling an external Sirius radio though a 3.5mm connection other than play the unit through the AUX port. If you bought a Sirius module, perhaps that could be plugged into the back of the radio for what you want. YES, I know you don't want to do that. However, depending on when you bought your present lifetime subscriptions, you might be able to transfer one of your accounts to the Flex. I just did that with another vehicle that I have.

When I called Sirius to set it up, they gave me some static that they no longer allow transferring of lifetime subscriptions. I pointed out that I bought my lifetime subscription before that policy change and then they did the switch. My lifetime subscription was supposed to be good for 3 switches. When it comes time to switch again, I'm going to be on the horn to Sirius to honor my deal.

Thanks for the reply, but this again misses my question. I don't know what else to say about what I want to do.

To sum up:

I have Sync.
I do NOT have a Sirius tuner for the car.
I do have an external/portable unit w/lifetime subscription.
I understand that I will not be able to control the external unit w/the Sync buttons.
I want to take the 3.5mm audio out from the portable unit and plug it into something in the radio that would allow me to use the "Sirius" botton on the car stereo and use that input. I'll still change the channel w/the actual external unit.

I just want to know if it is possible to connect an external/portable unit into the radio in a way that will allow me to push the "Sirius" button and then hear the audio from the unit.

By using the 3.5mm jack in the car, it limits my ability to use the USB connector. If I am playing the iPod, I cannot just switch to "Line-In", I have to first disconnect the iPod. The Line in and USB are treated as one input.

Thanks anyway, I don't mean to sound snotty, I'm not trying too, but I must be sounding snotty to some. Sorry if that is how I am coming across.

#10 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 278 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

muphasta

FWIW while it is not the same radio or situation it may be similar.

I had an AUX button on my 06 Freestyle. I didn't have a DVD or Sirius so when I pressed the AUX button I would get a message on the radio saying "No AUX"

I had to add an AUX adaptor module which I got from PIE. There were just no connectors anywhere on the radio for an RCA plug or anything like that. The module plugged in between the radio and the car harness. The module had the 2 RCA plugs which I connected to an RCA to 1/8" female adapter to connect my Garmin.

With the module in place I then could press the AUX button on the radio and have the GPS feed through the radio but there was no way to control the GPS with any of the radio controls.

As I said, It isn't the same radio but I will bet there is no plug like what you are looking for on the radio. You are going to have to get some sort of adaptor and I have no clue whether there is an adaptor that will do what you want.

I would Google Ford radio & Sirius adaptor or Sirius adaptor for Ford radio or some combination to see what may be available.

#11 OFFLINE   eosBlue

eosBlue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

I just want to know if it is possible to connect an external/portable unit into the radio in a way that will allow me to push the "Sirius" button and then hear the audio from the unit.

By using the 3.5mm jack in the car, it limits my ability to use the USB connector. If I am playing the iPod, I cannot just switch to "Line-In", I have to first disconnect the iPod. The Line in and USB are treated as one input.

Ain't going to happen. With what you want, the only way to play your standalone Sirius radio is through the Aux part of your radio. I don't understand what the big deal is with your ipod since you can only listen to one source at a time (whether it's the Sirius or the iPod).

#12 OFFLINE   muphasta

muphasta

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

Ain't going to happen. With what you want, the only way to play your standalone Sirius radio is through the Aux part of your radio. I don't understand what the big deal is with your ipod since you can only listen to one source at a time (whether it's the Sirius or the iPod).

The big deal is if I am driving the car listening to Sirius, I can hit the voice media button and say USB and then I can listen to my iPod. The problem arrises when I want to go back to Sirius. Now, if I want to listen to Sirius, I have to physically unplug the iPod cable (from either end, it doesn't matter) then select another input, then go back to Aux. Not the best thing to be doing while driving. That being fumbling around in the center console while driving, looking to remove a small cable from inside the console.

mmsstar, thanks for the input (no pun intended!) finally someone who understands my position/dilemma!

I'll look into that.

#13 OFFLINE   dslag6

dslag6

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

I understand what you are talking about with the Sirius button and I don't think you can do that. But you don't need to unplug the ipod to change to Sink line in. Press the AUX button, then press the MENU button, tune to the Select Source option, press OK, then you have three choices: Sync line-in (your Sirius), Sync USB (your Ipod), or Bluetooth audio. Select the one you want and press ok. I hope this helped.

#14 OFFLINE   gnarlyharley71

gnarlyharley71

gnarlyHarley71

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

My Flex has the same issue. I took it into the Ford dealership and they said my vehicle was ordered (by my company) without the module for satellite radio. I asked if it could be installed and they (the local dealership) didn't think so. I haven't pushed the issue, but I'm sure there is a mod. They also said the antenna on top doesn't have the satellite antenna and it would be difficult to run the wiring without taking the headliner apart. It seems it is going to be an expensive addition, (for me anyway).

#15 OFFLINE   Facewest

Facewest

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Flex

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

I am today trying to get the module put in. My Flex is a 2011 with Sync turn by turn directions, without the Sony audio system, without the Map Navigation screen. It does have the "Sirius" button. The dealer has been sending these units to an audio shop to add the module for $400.00 here in Austin. The dealership can not do it and does not have the Sirius Module.

The last one they sent to have the Sirius Module installed was a year ago. I would do it myself but I can not find any instructions on how to install the Sirius Module in a Ford Flex any where. I talked to Crutchfield and they do not sell the Sirius Ford Module. I would love to install it my self but have heard it plugs in under the seat. I have heard it takes 20 minutes. I do not know what to believe.   The Module kit is about $200.00. The antenna at the rear of the Flex looks like it could have the Satellite node in it already which would save having to add another Node.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·