Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Suddenly unable to Accelerate

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

I had the transmission range sensor replaced on my MKS yesterday and it appears to be fine now. I am taking a 600 mile trip this weekend so I should know for absolute sure by the time I return.

I have no desire for compensation because I really lost no money and not much time. What I would like, however, is some assurance that the new sensor is higher quality than the old one and is expected to last longer than the 9000 miles that the first one did. I can understand obtaining a batch of bad parts from a supplier. It happens. I would feel better if I knew that this was the case and the replacement is different. This issue apparently affected a fairly large number of cars or a TSB would not have been issued.

My service writer was out when I picked up my car but I am going to press him for a few more details on this situation when I get a chance. Since he might not know much or might only tell me what I want to hear, I would sure like to hear from an unbiased Ford insider on what the situation really is. Every car uses some version of a transmission range sensor and one should not expect such a high failure rate as we have seen on the 6F55 transmission.

#42 OFFLINE   turnersmj

turnersmj

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

I had the transmission range sensor replaced on my MKS yesterday and it appears to be fine now. I am taking a 600 mile trip this weekend so I should know for absolute sure by the time I return.

I have no desire for compensation because I really lost no money and not much time. What I would like, however, is some assurance that the new sensor is higher quality than the old one and is expected to last longer than the 9000 miles that the first one did. I can understand obtaining a batch of bad parts from a supplier. It happens. I would feel better if I knew that this was the case and the replacement is different. This issue apparently affected a fairly large number of cars or a TSB would not have been issued.

My service writer was out when I picked up my car but I am going to press him for a few more details on this situation when I get a chance. Since he might not know much or might only tell me what I want to hear, I would sure like to hear from an unbiased Ford insider on what the situation really is. Every car uses some version of a transmission range sensor and one should not expect such a high failure rate as we have seen on the 6F55 transmission.

I agree about 'assurance that the new sensor is higher quality than the old one' - that is why I assumed that they offered me an extended transmission warranty. unfortunately, Ford customer service changed their mind.

Based on Ford issuing a TSB and the amount of customers on here with this problem and the problem of not having power in the middle of an intersection, this is quite a serious issue. Hope no one gets hurt.

Darn disappointing, because, as many members here, I like the Flex design...sad they are not executing a plan to meet the reliability needs.. I was really excited about becoming a positive and vocal customer of an American car company that did NOT accept government bailout.

Edited by turnersmj, 18 September 2010 - 09:03 AM.

#43 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:34 AM

Your service writer will never know the true story, nor will it ever be published. So you'll just have to accept that it was a short-term supplier quality issue.

#44 OFFLINE   carman

carman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:25 PM

My 2010 Limited Flex with Ecoboost had the service advancetrac message turn on occasionally along with the wrench and vehicle slip icon. My local dealer ordered a transmission range sensor (TR sensor) and retaining pin. This would be TSB 10-17-4. Hope this helps.

#45 OFFLINE   carman

carman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:50 AM

TR sensor is in with retaining pin...we'll see how it goes.

#46 OFFLINE   01SportWagon

01SportWagon

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

We are having this same issue, mostly when rolling up to a stop light that turns green before we fully stop or when we roll a stop sign. I ran a search for the TSB 10-17-4 and found this TSB which supersedes:

TSB 10-21-02

http://way2evil.com/...tsb10-21-02.pdf

Mrs 01Sportwagon is planning a road trip with the boys this summer and I want it fixed before they leave. Let's keep each other in the loop here. If it has been a couple of months after the fix, please update the rest of us. :worship:

#47 OFFLINE   01SportWagon

01SportWagon

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:16 PM

Oh, I also found the original TSB 10-9-9 which seems much more involved (2.5 hour fix or a 13+ hour fix...)

TSB 10-9-9

http://ww2.justanswe...191549_1121.pdf

Ford makes GREAT engines... it's their transmissions that I'm always having issue with.

Edited by 01SportWagon, 22 February 2011 - 01:18 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   Bennitt

Bennitt

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hey guys. I bought a 2010 Limited Ecoboost last December and, unfortunately, have suffered transmission issues similar to those described in this thread.

My Flex, every couple of days, hesitates when pulling away from a stop; you put your foot on the accelerator and it does nothing for a couple of seconds, and then it bangs into gear and proceeds away. Not only is it embarrassing to have your new truck hesitating and then dropping into first gear when pulling away from a light, its dangerous when pulling into traffic (or making a left hand turn) and doesn't leave me with a whole lot of confidence in the vehicle (which is my wife's (and kids) daily driver).

Within a month of buying the Flex, I had it in to the dealer for the transmission range sensor TSB - this seems to have done nothing; the truck continues to exhibit this symptom every several days. The Ford dealer has been little help; I've had it in several times since and each time I get it back with a note indicating that the techs could not replicate the problem. I even had one person suggesting that it is normal operation of the drive-by-wire system.

The Flex is my first domestic vehicle and while I like most other aspects of the vehicle, these transmission issues have been very disappointing. At this point, I don't think I would buy another Ford.

Anyway, to those who have had the range sensor TSB performed, have your symptoms returned or did the sensor replacement fix your vehicle?

#49 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

Anyway, to those who have had the range sensor TSB performed, have your symptoms returned or did the sensor replacement fix your vehicle?

I had the range sensor replaced on my MKS per the TSB back in September. It has been perfect ever since.

#50 OFFLINE   davidsmcneill

davidsmcneill

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex AWD EcoBoost

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

Just adding my Flex to this topic. I've got a 2011 Limited EcoBoost and it's doing the same thing.

Occasionally it just seems to drop out of gear and then thud back in. No service lights. We've only got 5k miles on it. I've had it into the dealer a few times, and they replaced the solinoid module, but no difference. They are not able to reproduce the problem, which is not surprising since it only happens occasionally. Anyway I'll be taking it back to them and talking to them about the range sensor to see what they have to say. I'll post the results after I get it back....

#51 OFFLINE   6PAC

6PAC

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL AWD

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

New to Forum. My 2009 Flex SEL AWD is currently in the shop. A "wrench" light came on and the light remained on when I got it to the dealer. The diagnostic tests showed that the "Throttle Body" needed replaced. I was advised that if not repaired the car could stop on the highway, not start, not accelerate, and may possibly need to be towed. The light went off after it was diagnosed and I ended up taking it to my local Ford Dealer. The light has not come back on, but I decided to leave it and get a loaner vehicle. Didn't want to be stranded. The problems sound very consistent with problems with the Transmission Sensor. Getting a new throttle body put on, rather expensive fix. Any advise or comments?

#52 OFFLINE   cosmo97

cosmo97

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 ford flex

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:39 AM

I have owned my 2010 Flex for close to 2 months with approximately 1300 miles. About 2 weeks ago while i was driving down a residential street I felt a slight jerking motion and suddenly could not accelerate at all. I coasted into a parking spot and noticed a wrench illuminated on the dash (book referenced drive train). I proceeded to place the care in park, turn it off and restart the engine. When I did the wrench was gone and the car drove fine. The next day, (Monday) I contacted the dealership and took it in to have it checked out. Of course, they couldn't find anything and told me that next time I should bring it in while the light is illuminated so they can attempt to diagnose the issue. Here is the problem, if you are not able to accelerate how are you supposed to drive the vehicle for service??? To make this a bit more interesting my sister had the same issue yesterday. The only difference was she was driving on the expressway at 70mph and her vehicle is a 2010 Ford Edge. She also has owned the car for just over 2 months and has approximately 3000 miles. If anyone has had similiar problems or can provide any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks you!

I had this same problem yesterday August 25,2011. I was able to get the 2011 Flex to Ford and they found a code for the throttlebody and a sensor.Told me they have seen this on all most every Flex and I will have mine back today. I will give more details when I get it back.

#53 OFFLINE   kmiller

kmiller

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 15 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

Hey - I'm having the same issues with my 2010 SEL Ecoboost. I've had it in 5 times in 2 1/2 mos. It only has 10000 miles on it. Ford won't put any more parts on it until they can "isolate the problem". So they just gave it back to me without fixing it. Can you guys respond if your flexes are fixed now and what the resolution was. I really just want my new car to drive like a new car. thanks

#54 OFFLINE   John Wiskowski

John Wiskowski

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

2013 Ford Flex SEL FWD purchased on 01/19/2013

Got the car on Saturday and love it. First odd ball item was we noticed it has two different tail lights during the delivery walk through. Driver side is standard and passenger side is LED. The dealer stated they were going to take care of tha for me. OK, no biggie.

Today, I pull out of my spot and feel hesitation and notice a yellow wrench light. I stop the car and turn it off and on, still see the light. I decide to keep going a few hundred feet and the drive is completely off, vibration higher that usual, and transmission feels wrong. I stop the car and turn it off. I check the manual and the yellow wrench means powertrain failure. I went to start e car to move it into a better location, but it won't start. Dead.

I call the dealer, and the salesman turned me over to service. I had to call Roadside Assistance and get dropped off at the dealer. They gave me a free rental car and told me that they would call me tomorrow.

I'm not sure if this is related to the problems other drivers are having, but thought I would share my story for a brand new 2013 model.

#55 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

2013 Ford Flex SEL FWD purchased on 01/19/2013

Got the car on Saturday and love it. First odd ball item was we noticed it has two different tail lights during the delivery walk through. Driver side is standard and passenger side is LED. The dealer stated they were going to take care of tha for me. OK, no biggie.

Today, I pull out of my spot and feel hesitation and notice a yellow wrench light. I stop the car and turn it off and on, still see the light. I decide to keep going a few hundred feet and the drive is completely off, vibration higher that usual, and transmission feels wrong. I stop the car and turn it off. I check the manual and the yellow wrench means powertrain failure. I went to start e car to move it into a better location, but it won't start. Dead.

I call the dealer, and the salesman turned me over to service. I had to call Roadside Assistance and get dropped off at the dealer. They gave me a free rental car and told me that they would call me tomorrow.

I'm not sure if this is related to the problems other drivers are having, but thought I would share my story for a brand new 2013 model.

Hi there,

I responded to you on another thread, but I wanted to make sure that you know that I'm here to help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll investigate your situation and look into some options.

Thanks,

Crystal

Edited by FordCustomerService, 28 January 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   John Wiskowski

John Wiskowski

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Crystal, I can't PM yet, but thank you for offering to help. My dealer resolved the problem the next day, which ended up being loose battery connections. We agreed it best that they kept the car overnight and gave it a couple test drives. They then made sure I had matching and functional tail lights. I picked up my car on Wednesday evening, and everything appears fine. I haven't been able to put too many miles on her yet, but I feel confident in the vehicle. I did call Ford and open up a case just to have that on file. I will call back in a week just to note that all items were professionally and successfully resolved by my dealer. (Assuming there are no more issues.) My salesperson did follow up on Thursday and another person from the dealer followed up on Friday. I appreciated both calls, and your offer. I love my 2013 Ford Flex!

#57 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Crystal, I can't PM yet, but thank you for offering to help. My dealer resolved the problem the next day, which ended up being loose battery connections. We agreed it best that they kept the car overnight and gave it a couple test drives. They then made sure I had matching and functional tail lights. I picked up my car on Wednesday evening, and everything appears fine. I haven't been able to put too many miles on her yet, but I feel confident in the vehicle. I did call Ford and open up a case just to have that on file. I will call back in a week just to note that all items were professionally and successfully resolved by my dealer. (Assuming there are no more issues.) My salesperson did follow up on Thursday and another person from the dealer followed up on Friday. I appreciated both calls, and your offer. I love my 2013 Ford Flex!

I'm glad to see this was resolved, John! If you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to let me know. :)

Crystal

#58 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Hey - I'm having the same issues with my 2010 SEL Ecoboost. I've had it in 5 times in 2 1/2 mos. It only has 10000 miles on it. Ford won't put any more parts on it until they can "isolate the problem". So they just gave it back to me without fixing it. Can you guys respond if your flexes are fixed now and what the resolution was. I really just want my new car to drive like a new car. thanks

Well at least I'm not the only one that Ford refuses to repair a customers car.   I have a 2013 Fusion Hybrid that gets very poor gas mileage, the dash readout is off by at least 2 MPG, and has already gone through a set of spark plugs. My service manager has been trying to get Ford to do something about this car, but according to Ford, no problem found. They basically told him, replace the plugs and return the car,  No effort into finding out why the plugs fouled, or why the actual MPG is far below what it should be getting, or why the dash readout is so far off true readings.  It has me so riled up I am ready to dump the car and go back to Toyota. Its not my first hybrid either, its my fourth, and our other car is a 2010 FFH which gets better MPG than the new one, which ticks me off even more.

I used to have a 2010 Flex SEL EB, and other than a weird electrical glitch which would reset the climate control, and it needing better brakes, it was a good car, Wish I still had it instead of the new Fusion, and I would like to get another one if I could, but Ford has me so ticked off with their lousy customer service, that I am not sure if I want another Ford.

In any case I hope yours gets resolved, because 2 times in the shop and 5 days out of service with mine has done nothing to get it resolved, and its getting worse. Ford has one last shot before I jump ship.

Edited by ACDII, 03 February 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Well at least I'm not the only one that Ford refuses to repair a customers car.   I have a 2013 Fusion Hybrid that gets very poor gas mileage, the dash readout is off by at least 2 MPG, and has already gone through a set of spark plugs. My service manager has been trying to get Ford to do something about this car, but according to Ford, no problem found. They basically told him, replace the plugs and return the car,  No effort into finding out why the plugs fouled, or why the actual MPG is far below what it should be getting, or why the dash readout is so far off true readings.  It has me so riled up I am ready to dump the car and go back to Toyota. Its not my first hybrid either, its my fourth, and our other car is a 2010 FFH which gets better MPG than the new one, which ticks me off even more.

I used to have a 2010 Flex SEL EB, and other than a weird electrical glitch which would reset the climate control, and it needing better brakes, it was a good car, Wish I still had it instead of the new Fusion, and I would like to get another one if I could, but Ford has me so ticked off with their lousy customer service, that I am not sure if I want another Ford.

In any case I hope yours gets resolved, because 2 times in the shop and 5 days out of service with mine has done nothing to get it resolved, and its getting worse. Ford has one last shot before I jump ship.

Hi there,

I want to look into this for you and see how I can help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll start investigating!

Crystal

#60 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

I tried to, but it says you cant receive any new messages. Guess your inbox is full. 

workwithcisco@yahoo.com Please email me and I will respond with the information you need. 

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·