Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Suddenly unable to Accelerate

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brandi06

brandi06

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:22 AM

I have owned my 2010 Flex for close to 2 months with approximately 1300 miles. About 2 weeks ago while i was driving down a residential street I felt a slight jerking motion and suddenly could not accelerate at all. I coasted into a parking spot and noticed a wrench illuminated on the dash (book referenced drive train). I proceeded to place the care in park, turn it off and restart the engine. When I did the wrench was gone and the car drove fine. The next day, (Monday) I contacted the dealership and took it in to have it checked out. Of course, they couldn't find anything and told me that next time I should bring it in while the light is illuminated so they can attempt to diagnose the issue. Here is the problem, if you are not able to accelerate how are you supposed to drive the vehicle for service??? To make this a bit more interesting my sister had the same issue yesterday. The only difference was she was driving on the expressway at 70mph and her vehicle is a 2010 Ford Edge. She also has owned the car for just over 2 months and has approximately 3000 miles. If anyone has had similiar problems or can provide any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks you!

Edited by brandi06, 03 June 2010 - 08:38 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

Have you both been filling up at the same gas station? Could be some water in the gas, though it seems like it would come back after you restarted.

#3 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:40 AM

Have you both been filling up at the same gas station? Could be some water in the gas, though it seems like it would come back after you restarted.

Waldo, shouldn't there be at least one fault code stored? Maybe that won't tell the tale, but there should be something..no?

#4 OFFLINE   brandi06

brandi06

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

We leave about 30 miles apart so I dont believe that is the problem.

#5 OFFLINE   turnersmj

turnersmj

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

I have owned my 2010 Flex for close to 2 months with approximately 1300 miles. About 2 weeks ago while i was driving down a residential street I felt a slight jerking motion and suddenly could not accelerate at all. I coasted into a parking spot and noticed a wrench illuminated on the dash (book referenced drive train). I proceeded to place the care in park, turn it off and restart the engine. When I did the wrench was gone and the car drove fine. The next day, (Monday) I contacted the dealership and took it in to have it checked out. Of course, they couldn't find anything and told me that next time I should bring it in while the light is illuminated so they can attempt to diagnose the issue. Here is the problem, if you are not able to accelerate how are you supposed to drive the vehicle for service??? To make this a bit more interesting my sister had the same issue yesterday. The only difference was she was driving on the expressway at 70mph and her vehicle is a 2010 Ford Edge. She also has owned the car for just over 2 months and has approximately 3000 miles. If anyone has had similiar problems or can provide any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks you!

Similar Flex behavior. in the shop 1 week ago for "Transmission Range Sensor" that needs to be replaced. The part is back-ordered...

#6 OFFLINE   brandi06

brandi06

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

Similar Flex behavior. in the shop 1 week ago for "Transmission Range Sensor" that needs to be replaced. The part is back-ordered...

would you be able to tell me what your vehicle was doing? What year is your flex?

#7 OFFLINE   borivera

borivera

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

Just happened to me on Friday the 30th of July, dealer found bad sensor in transmission.

#8 OFFLINE   turnersmj

turnersmj

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:27 AM

would you be able to tell me what your vehicle was doing? What year is your flex?

Really late reply - sorry.
2010 Ford Flex SEL with ecoboost.

Vehicle felt like it almost dropped out of gear under flat / reducing RPM's, noticed when trying to accelerate from that state.

Part was backordered for me for 1 month....still trying to work tihis out with Ford as my car was unavailable for 30 days...not very happy with this.

#9 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

Really late reply - sorry.
2010 Ford Flex SEL with ecoboost.

Vehicle felt like it almost dropped out of gear under flat / reducing RPM's, noticed when trying to accelerate from that state.

Part was backordered for me for 1 month....still trying to work tihis out with Ford as my car was unavailable for 30 days...not very happy with this.

I don't have a Flex. I have an MKS ecoboost and it sounds like my problem is similar if not identical to yours. While driving at steady speed, it seems to go into neutral. The engine RPM picks up but the car slows. In mine, it only happens for a couple of seconds and then smoothly engages again. So far, mine has only done this when using manual mode - not regular drive. The last time it happened, I was in 6th gear going around 60 MPH. The car began to coast and I noticed the "6" in the shift display went blank. As soon as it engaged, the "6" reappeared and it acted normal. The problem is very intermittent - I cannot make it happen.

No warning light has ever come on with mine. The dealer hooked up their scan tool and found nothing. They basically said to drive it awhile and see if a warning light comes on so they have a code to point them in the right direction.

I am very suspicious of the range sensor based on what I am reading here in the Flex forum, considering the drivetrain of the ecoboost MKS and the ecoboost Flex is the same. Any other ideas?

#10 OFFLINE   thekomoman

thekomoman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

We are having the exact same problem only our car threw a code and they were able to diagnose it. In our case, 2010 Ecoboost, we got a "service advance trac" warning and caution light, which went away after a restart, but it did register a code. The dealer has put us in for an emergency order and I REALLY hope there are some parts in the food chain because I consider the car unsafe to drive in this state. It lost forward drive as I was pulling out onto a cross street and it also did it to my wife while she had the cruise control engaged on the highway. This really does sound like there's a big issue.

#11 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:30 AM

We are having the exact same problem only our car threw a code and they were able to diagnose it. In our case, 2010 Ecoboost, we got a "service advance trac" warning and caution light, which went away after a restart, but it did register a code. The dealer has put us in for an emergency order and I REALLY hope there are some parts in the food chain because I consider the car unsafe to drive in this state. It lost forward drive as I was pulling out onto a cross street and it also did it to my wife while she had the cruise control engaged on the highway. This really does sound like there's a big issue.

Did your dealer say exactly what part they ordered? The Transmission Range Sensor? There are so many different sensors "talking" to the powertrain control module, I can understand why intermittent problems are tricky to diagnose. I was a bit disappointed that my dealer couldn't or wouldn't somehow load test these individual components, though.

The past couple of days, mine has operated flawlessly. I wish it would act up again and throw a code! If the problem is happening to enough customers, maybe we will see a TSB on it.

#12 OFFLINE   thekomoman

thekomoman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:42 AM

Did your dealer say exactly what part they ordered? The Transmission Range Sensor? There are so many different sensors "talking" to the powertrain control module, I can understand why intermittent problems are tricky to diagnose. I was a bit disappointed that my dealer couldn't or wouldn't somehow load test these individual components, though.

The past couple of days, mine has operated flawlessly. I wish it would act up again and throw a code! If the problem is happening to enough customers, maybe we will see a TSB on it.

Dealer specifically said Transmission Range Sensor. I think we got lucky that it threw a code, though he did say that they had to do "a lot" of diagnostics to find it. Still waiting.....

#13 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:35 AM

Dealer specifically said Transmission Range Sensor. I think we got lucky that it threw a code, though he did say that they had to do "a lot" of diagnostics to find it. Still waiting.....

Thanks for the clarification. I just found a TSB that I hadn't seen before but it does not sound like it applies to our condition, If this has already been posted and discussed, please excuse me for being repetitive. This supposedly applies to transmissions built between December 11, 2009 and April 15, 2010.

TSB 10-9-9
6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION—DTC P0751—HARSH OR
NO FORWARD ENGAGEMENTS—PERCEIVED SLIP
ON ACCELERATION—SLIP/DELAYED AND/OR
HARSH DOWNSHIFTS

#14 OFFLINE   thekomoman

thekomoman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I just found a TSB that I hadn't seen before but it does not sound like it applies to our condition, If this has already been posted and discussed, please excuse me for being repetitive. This supposedly applies to transmissions built between December 11, 2009 and April 15, 2010.

TSB 10-9-9
6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION—DTC P0751—HARSH OR
NO FORWARD ENGAGEMENTS—PERCEIVED SLIP
ON ACCELERATION—SLIP/DELAYED AND/OR
HARSH DOWNSHIFTS

I certainly have also experienced some hard shifts over the months, but the only incidents of "no forward engagement" came in the last week.

I spoke to the dealer service rep today and he said they expect the part via Fedex today. Hoping I might have the car back tomorrow.

#15 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

I certainly have also experienced some hard shifts over the months, but the only incidents of "no forward engagement" came in the last week.

I spoke to the dealer service rep today and he said they expect the part via Fedex today. Hoping I might have the car back tomorrow.

I look forward to hearing how it works after the TRS is installed. I certainly hope that is the issue. The TSB referenced involves a transmission tear-down - not a simple sensor.

Mine shifts smooth as silk and is the best operating transmission I ever owned - except when it seems to slip into neutral for no apparent reason. That has now happened to me 4 or 5 times. So far this week, it has not happened at all.

#16 OFFLINE   thekomoman

thekomoman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

I look forward to hearing how it works after the TRS is installed. I certainly hope that is the issue. The TSB referenced involves a transmission tear-down - not a simple sensor.

Mine shifts smooth as silk and is the best operating transmission I ever owned - except when it seems to slip into neutral for no apparent reason. That has now happened to me 4 or 5 times. So far this week, it has not happened at all.

Picked the car up on Friday morning after the job had been completed on Thursday afternoon. So far it has worked fine, no slips out of gear. I noticed one hard shit at low speed turning into the neighborhood but I think that was more of a typical transmission deciding what gear it needed to be in rather than a problem. Hoping this took care of it.

#17 OFFLINE   genki

genki

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

Picked the car up on Friday morning after the job had been completed on Thursday afternoon. So far it has worked fine, no slips out of gear. I noticed one hard shit at low speed turning into the neighborhood but I think that was more of a typical transmission deciding what gear it needed to be in rather than a problem. Hoping this took care of it.

I am having this same issue on my 2010 Eccoboost Flex.... Have you had any isses since they replaced the sensor in March??

#18 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:05 AM

I am beginning to wonder if this issue is more prevalent than I first thought. Between this forum and the MKS forum, there have been 5 or 6 cases of this situation. Considering that most owners probably do not participate in forums like this, there might be more widespread problem here.

My MKS is going in to the dealer this week. At first, I only had the issue of seeming to go into neutral when I was using manual mode. This weekend, while in drive, I lost all power when trying to merge onto a freeway. I moved the shifter to manual and it engaged. On another occasion, while in drive, I was stopped at a red light. The light turned green and as I attempted to accelerate, the engine revved up but the car didn't move. I let it idle back down and moved the shifter to manual and it engaged. When these occurrences take place, the shifter display on the dash goes blank.

I have had a couple of conversations with the Service Writer and my dealership and he has spoken to their transmission technician. He is more suspicious of the vehicle speed sensor and/or turbine speed sensor than of the transmission range sensor. However, they have basically agreed to replace them all since they can't seem to determine what the problem is.

Edited by brucelinc, 23 August 2010 - 05:07 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

I have had a couple of conversations with the Service Writer and my dealership and he has spoken to their transmission technician. He is more suspicious of the vehicle speed sensor and/or turbine speed sensor than of the transmission range sensor. However, they have basically agreed to replace them all since they can't seem to determine what the problem is.

Now that you mention it, I do recall overhearing something about a bad batch of TSS parts. I don't recall hearing if that would result in the symptoms you're seeing, but it would be a good bet.

#20 OFFLINE   genki

genki

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

I am beginning to wonder if this issue is more prevalent than I first thought. Between this forum and the MKS forum, there have been 5 or 6 cases of this situation. Considering that most owners probably do not participate in forums like this, there might be more widespread problem here.

My MKS is going in to the dealer this week. At first, I only had the issue of seeming to go into neutral when I was using manual mode. This weekend, while in drive, I lost all power when trying to merge onto a freeway. I moved the shifter to manual and it engaged. On another occasion, while in drive, I was stopped at a red light. The light turned green and as I attempted to accelerate, the engine revved up but the car didn't move. I let it idle back down and moved the shifter to manual and it engaged. When these occurrences take place, the shifter display on the dash goes blank.

Thanks for the post.. please let us know if this has resolved your issue once you have had some time to drive the car. My Flex is at the dealership for the second time in a week, they seem to have no idea at all. They dont seem to be to receptive to what I have found on this forum. I have called Ford directly and opened a trouble call in with them as well so they have this issue on record. They have contacted the dealership directly to work with them.

I was hoping to have someone who has had this issue resolved respond to this post. I would love to have my dealership talk to their technician. If this resolves your issue maybe I can get the info from you..

This is making me very nervous as this is my wife's car and my 2 year old is always with her when this has happened. I hope we can find a fix soon.

Thanks

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·