Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

20" rim clear coat peeling

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   psct67

psct67

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hi everyone.

I'm curious to know if anyone has had any problems with the clearcoat peeling off their rims?

I've had my flex limited for about 10 months now and just noticed about 3 weeks ago what I thought were some water spots on the rims. Over this last weekend, I finally had a chance to clean the car really well, because it wasn't raining, and noticed they weren't water spots at all. There are black spots in various parts of the rim, all four, that show that the clearcoat has been eaten away or is peeling.

I ran by the dealer and they said it looks like something got on them, but they were not sure what it would have been to cause this. They asked me to come back to talk to the service manager, who happened to be out to lunch. So, I plan to go back this afternoon and see what they say.

I've been researching over the weekend and found there have been many complaints about the Ford Edge rims that seem to be doing something similar. Maybe it is from the same manufacturer? Not sure.

If anyone else has come across this issue, please let me know. I don't want to be stuck bad rims because of a faulty workmanship.

Thanks

PS - I'll update this later with more input from the dealer. I'll also try to get some photos as well.

#2 OFFLINE   IndyAntares

IndyAntares

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm curious to know if anyone has had any problems with the clearcoat peeling off their rims?

I've had my flex limited for about 10 months now and just noticed about 3 weeks ago what I thought were some water spots on the rims. Over this last weekend, I finally had a chance to clean the car really well, because it wasn't raining, and noticed they weren't water spots at all. There are black spots in various parts of the rim, all four, that show that the clearcoat has been eaten away or is peeling.

I ran by the dealer and they said it looks like something got on them, but they were not sure what it would have been to cause this. They asked me to come back to talk to the service manager, who happened to be out to lunch. So, I plan to go back this afternoon and see what they say.

I've been researching over the weekend and found there have been many complaints about the Ford Edge rims that seem to be doing something similar. Maybe it is from the same manufacturer? Not sure.

If anyone else has come across this issue, please let me know. I don't want to be stuck bad rims because of a faulty workmanship.

Thanks

PS - I'll update this later with more input from the dealer. I'll also try to get some photos as well.

Hey PSCT:

I picked up my Flex last night and today got down to cleaning the snot out of the rims and I too have found one rim with a few black pits and what looks like a bunch of water spots and on the other mostly what looks like water spots. My plan is to return to the dealer since I've only put less than 10 miles on the thing. It had to happen either during unloading or during the transfer between dealers (they had to get the car from North of Chicago to here in Indy for me). My rims though, are the 20" painted aluminum rims, not the premium chrome ones.

I'm very picky with my car, so this was disappointing but not insurmountable. With the Edge I traded in, it did have the faulty rims you mention, but only one was a problem and it was more of a bubble or warp in the chrome and not pits or a coating issue. Funny thing is I got the rim replaced and then three months later I trade it in on the Flex! Hopefully someone else will read this and chime in on whether their rims were an issue.

IndyAntares

#3 OFFLINE   FLEXinLV

FLEXinLV

FLEXINLV

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

Hey PSCT:

I picked up my Flex last night and today got down to cleaning the snot out of the rims and I too have found one rim with a few black pits and what looks like a bunch of water spots and on the other mostly what looks like water spots. My plan is to return to the dealer since I've only put less than 10 miles on the thing. It had to happen either during unloading or during the transfer between dealers (they had to get the car from North of Chicago to here in Indy for me). My rims though, are the 20" painted aluminum rims, not the premium chrome ones.

I'm very picky with my car, so this was disappointing but not insurmountable. With the Edge I traded in, it did have the faulty rims you mention, but only one was a problem and it was more of a bubble or warp in the chrome and not pits or a coating issue. Funny thing is I got the rim replaced and then three months later I trade it in on the Flex! Hopefully someone else will read this and chime in on whether their rims were an issue.

IndyAntares

i have 09 limited and all for rims had the same problem the dealership warranty them and got new rims.

#4 OFFLINE   amutti

amutti

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

I went through a carwash and it did a number on the rims . . . not good.

Attached Files

#5 OFFLINE   CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

wow... that is worse than Discount Tire did to mine... Thankfully they repaired it good as new.

#6 OFFLINE   Tennessee Flexin'

Tennessee Flexin'

Flexappeal

• Ford Flex Members
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2009 LTD and 2017 SEL

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

Me too. It all started when I rubbed up against the curb squeezing into a tight parking space. Now I hate washing my rims because I see the rub mark and the peeling.

Edited by Tennessee Flexin', 08 May 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   dslag6

dslag6

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

Does any one have any pix of the rims "peeling"? Working at a dealership, I haven't seen this. The only thing that I've seen is sometimes there is plastic on the rims when it comes in, and it don't get taken off all the way. Could this be the peeling??

#8 OFFLINE   nada 50

nada 50

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

I have an 09 sel (19") and only on the back two right around the center cap is peeling. I am gonna take it to the dealer and see what they say. They said it looks like someone was trying to steal them, the center cap doesnt need to come off to take the wheels. The wheels aren't that nice plus I live and work in great towns

Edited by nada 50, 04 November 2010 - 04:33 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   jettech462

jettech462

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

[Did the dealership give you a hard time about replacing the rims? How about a chance to upgrade to the chrome rims?

#10 OFFLINE   skabetti

skabetti

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

2010 flex ecoboost, rims have defects on them and they are black, I thought I was purchasing aluminum alloy rims but these are nothing like the rims I have had in the past.
Are they aluminum alloy?

#11 OFFLINE   jettech462

jettech462

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

I'm trying to get my wheels warrantied. Can you help me out. How did you do it and who was the dealership that did it for you?

#12 OFFLINE   cuervoman

cuervoman

Nebraska

• Ford Flex Members
  • 20 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

My Dealer in Omaha replace all four 20s for free. There is a TSB on the issue. I have a good relationship with them and they really do a great job taking care of me. When I switch out my summer for winters they reset the TPMS for free.

#13 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost, 2011 Camaro SS/RS conv. and 2002 Ford Ranger Edge

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

My 2010 Ecoboost with 30k miles was in for service and we noticed the clear coat was coming off the wheels. The dealer worked with Ford and they are replacing all 4 wheels under warranty.

4/29/12 update - all four wheels have been replaced they look great. Hopefully this set will hold up better...

Edited by scotty5484, 30 April 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   bizzybaldwin

bizzybaldwin

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex Limited

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hello all. I joined today to discuss what I believe is the same issue that is being discussed here. I have a problem with the 19" wheels on my 2010 Flex. I just pruchased it last weekend. At the dealership, I did a total run down of the body and required that a couple of things be fixed before I bought it. One issue was that there was some corrsoion around the center cap of each wheel. I asked the used car sales manager if this could be fixed. Of course the answer was "No problem." I even got it in writing on the "We owe" that they use. I took it back in yesterday to have this fixed and they acted like they had no idea how to fix it. I talked to the general sales manager and he said they did not know how to fix it. He also said if they could not fix it and if Ford would not honor the warranty, then they would not replace the wheels. It has 19,000 miles and is a certified pre-owned.

I think this should be covered no matter if they can be fixed or if they have to be replaced. I am attaching some pictures. Let me know if anyone else has resolved this issue or something similar. The corrsio has a bit of a tecture to it. it is still smooth, but kind of bubbled. Hope that makes sense.

Actually, I can't figure out how to post pictures on here. Can anyone help?

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·