Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skabetti

skabetti

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

WHAT WAS FORD THINKING, I BELIEVE MY 2010 FORD FLEX HAS AN 18 GALLON FUEL TANK. WHY WOULD YOU PUT IN SUCH A SMALL TANK FOR A GAS GUZZLER?
I LOVE THE CAR BUT LITERALLY FEEL LIKE MY NEW BEST FRIENDS ARE AT THE GAS STATION. MY FRIEND HAS AN EXCURSION AND HE HAS A 44 GALLON TANK, GETS AROUND 9 MPG, I AVERAGE 13.9 ON A GOOD DAY.

SOME OTHER PROBLEMS, FRONT END MAKING NOISE, (THEY COULDN'T DUPLICATE IT), TWICE THE CAR MADE A HORRIBLE NOISE ON HIGHWAY AND BACKFIRED WITH BLACK SMOKE COMING OUT (THEY COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING). I THINK THE FRONT END HAS SOME PROBLEM BECAUSE OF THE NOISE THAT COMES AND GOES. USUALLY HEAR AND FEEL NOISE WHEN EXITING OFF HIGHWAY ONTO ANOTHER EXIT WITH A SMALL BURM? BUMP AT AROUND 20 MPH.

LET ME KNOW IF ANY OF YOU FLEX PEOPLE HAVE EXPERIENCED THESE PROBLEMS. OH, BY THE WAY, 6CYL WITH ECOBOOST.

THANKS

#2 OFFLINE   CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

WHAT WAS FORD THINKING, I BELIEVE MY 2010 FORD FLEX HAS AN 18 GALLON FUEL TANK. WHY WOULD YOU PUT IN SUCH A SMALL TANK FOR A GAS GUZZLER?
I LOVE THE CAR BUT LITERALLY FEEL LIKE MY NEW BEST FRIENDS ARE AT THE GAS STATION. MY FRIEND HAS AN EXCURSION AND HE HAS A 44 GALLON TANK, GETS AROUND 9 MPG, I AVERAGE 13.9 ON A GOOD DAY.

SOME OTHER PROBLEMS, FRONT END MAKING NOISE, (THEY COULDN'T DUPLICATE IT), TWICE THE CAR MADE A HORRIBLE NOISE ON HIGHWAY AND BACKFIRED WITH BLACK SMOKE COMING OUT (THEY COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING). I THINK THE FRONT END HAS SOME PROBLEM BECAUSE OF THE NOISE THAT COMES AND GOES. USUALLY HEAR AND FEEL NOISE WHEN EXITING OFF HIGHWAY ONTO ANOTHER EXIT WITH A SMALL BURM? BUMP AT AROUND 20 MPH.

LET ME KNOW IF ANY OF YOU FLEX PEOPLE HAVE EXPERIENCED THESE PROBLEMS. OH, BY THE WAY, 6CYL WITH ECOBOOST.

THANKS

Sorry I can't help... I haven't had any of those issues and I am averaging about 20 mpg in my ecoboost flex. I do wish there was a larger tank though. I'm used to 500 - 600 mile range in my TDI Jetta and Cummins powered Dodge Ram.

Edited by CJ8Rockcrawler, 30 May 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   bensford66

bensford66

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:46 AM

I have not had any problems with my Ecoboost, and I'm getting 15.5 to 17.5 in the city and 21 to 23 mpg on the highway and I have a horrible gas foot in the city, I love to gas it and race from light to light. I only have 2000 miles on it thus far though so I really can't help out on the engine problems. After having an Explorer (22gal tank) and filling that tank for $55 to $70 a time and only getting 300 miles to a tank on average then getting the Flex and getting nearly 400 miles to a tank for $40 I got no complaints there either...<br><br>As a side note I got 12.5 mpg towing a 4300lb boat and trailer this weekend on hilly interstate terrain at an average of about 70mph...&nbsp; better than my V6 Explorer got by 3mph!<br>

Edited by bensford66, 01 June 2010 - 05:05 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Curly Rice

Curly Rice

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

Sorry I can't help... I haven't had any of those issues and I am averaging about mpg in my ecoboost flex. I do wish there was a larger tank though. I'm used to 500 - 600 mile range in my TDI Jetta and Cummins powered Dodge Ram.

Gas Guzzler? Well, I guess that is relative to what you are used to. But before you complain, you ought to look at that right foot of yours and then the mirror. I suspect that will show you the problem :lol:

#5 OFFLINE   mallie

mallie

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:15 PM

I think my Explorer was a 20 gallon tank. I was surprised to find that the Flex was only 18 gal. I average 21.8 (or better) mpg and get about 430 miles per tank. I guess a larger tank would cut down on mpg?? Maybe they were trying to keep the mpg as high as they could by cutting down on weight. Just a thought :rolleyes:
Monica

#6 OFFLINE   CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

I think my Explorer was a 20 gallon tank. I was surprised to find that the Flex was only 18 gal. I average 21.8 (or better) mpg and get about 430 miles per tank. I guess a larger tank would cut down on mpg?? Maybe they were trying to keep the mpg as high as they could by cutting down on weight. Just a thought :rolleyes:
Monica

Think the tank size is limited by packaging... it is already somewhat of a split tank around either side of the driveshaft with a pump system between the two tanks if I remember correctly.

#7 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

If you want a low floor, you can't have a large fuel tank.

#8 OFFLINE   skabetti

skabetti

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

We must not have the same car if you are getting 23 mpg highway driving, the most I have ever averaged was 19.6. I will have to tell Ford about the discrepancy.
Regarding my driving skills, this is my 10th car and I really wonder if I or someone with their Flex was out in a remote area or desert you are going to run out of gas before you
find a gas station.

#9 OFFLINE   Maestro

Maestro

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

same here get around 19/20 around town and 24/25 on the highway, if I really push it hard the worst I got was 17 and that was pulling a trailer not sure how you only getting 13.

#10 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

THANKS

Backfire at highway speed? Black smoke? Brand new vehicle? Bad gas mileage? Can't find anything?

You need to have a serious talk with the dealer about fuel injection and how it works. Backfire means unburned gas going into the exhaust. There should be some evidence of it. Unburned gas doesn't push the car forward, thus terrible gas mileage. If the dealer/service manager doesn't satisfy, contact Ford.

#11 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:22 PM

Monica

In addition to what the others said, you are right. Smaller tanks improve gas mileage because it cuts down on the weight of the gas you're hauling around and the weight of the tank itself. You start with less, so you always have less in your tank as it's used up, but you have to refill more often.

#12 OFFLINE   racerbob46

racerbob46

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

Maybe I'm glad i didn't get the eco-boost. I just got back from a 750 mile trip and averaged 28.2 mpg.

#13 OFFLINE   Gotchagain

Gotchagain

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

hmmm, poor gas mileage? reminds me of the Lone Ranger and Tonto....... Tonto was shooting arrows at his target and missing by quite a distance, left, then right, then too high and too low........Tonto says to the Lone Ranger, "These arrows suck!" to which the Lone Ranger replies, "I don't think it's the arrows."

#14 OFFLINE   eosBlue

eosBlue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

Maybe I'm glad i didn't get the eco-boost. I just got back from a 750 mile trip and averaged 28.2 mpg.

Was that average figured by hand or using the trip computer?

#15 OFFLINE   eosBlue

eosBlue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

Was that average figured by hand or using the trip computer?

#16 OFFLINE   tenracing

tenracing

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Flex Titanium White/blk roof

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:15 AM

MPG is directly related to the right foot....

UNLESS there is a problem, and I would say you have some type of fueling issue, black smoke usually means WAAAAAY too much fuel...
which would explain poor MPG...

need to get that fixed.

I have a heavy right foot, and expect to be under or about 20 mpg when my ecoboost titanium comes in and i get it broke in...

#17 OFFLINE   magic

magic

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

I am getting 11-12 litres per 100 kilometers city and average 9-10 litres per 100 kilometers highway.

As to front end noise your front bearings could be shot. Just had mine replaced this week at 21,000km. Noise was worst when slowing down or speeding up between 40-60 km or about 30-40 mph, such as would occur going into an exit onto highway.

Ford admitted to me they had problems with bearings on Flex.

#18 OFFLINE   UB003

UB003

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

I went from a 24 gal. tank in my Freestar to the 18 on the Flex. However, I get the same range on less gas. Gas Guzzler? I don't think so.

#19 OFFLINE   algoss

algoss

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:46 AM

I get a new company vehicle every year, and put on 30-35,000 miles. I've had new Ford company vehicles every year since the first Taurus came out in 1987(?). I've had Taurus Wagons, Windstars, Freestars, Freestyles, and Taurus X's. The Flex is by far the best.

I'm on my second Flex. It's a basic V-6 SEL.

I keep meticulous records of my mileage and gas purchases, not because I have to, but because I want to. When I'm on the highway, I set the cruise Control to 70MPH using my GPS. The car speedometer reads 1-3 MPH higher.

My overall mileage for the current Flex is about 22.5 MPG. On a pure highway trip (CT to MD or other >300 Mile jaunts), I get as high as 28 MPG.

The MPG indication in the Flex is 3-6% higher than the 'real' MPG. This is true for the current Flex, and every Ford vehicle I have had in the last 8 years or so, since I started tracking MPG.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·