Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Cabin Air Filter

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lwgordon

lwgordon

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

Is there a cabin air filter on a 2009 Flex? I can find them listed for 2010 but not the 2009.

#2 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

I also thought the 2009 had a CAF, but no :huh:

I had my wife's 2009 in for its 23,000km service, we have the full maintenance plan package, so I told them to do the oil & filter, rotate the tires, new wiper blades (3) and replace the CAF.

The work order showed all done, but no CAF listed. Then I thought that before I complain I should do some digging. I pulled down the glove box door and released the sides to allow it to fall down enough that I could confirm that the HVAC blower unit has a flat plastic rectangle that serves as the location for a CAF system ~ but no CAF installed. That means I could install a CAF kit, as it's just a dremel job and a closure panel to install.

I would like to think that the Ford Edge has the same HVAC system, and that I could use the CAF for that model, as when you try to find a CAF for a Flex, you get lost in cyberspace. :(

#3 OFFLINE   Johnny Buoy

Johnny Buoy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

We have a 2010 Limited/EB and it should have the cabin filter. At the back of the glove box, I can see the flap. I can pull a little on it but it won’t come out. I cannot see if there is a filter inside or not.

Any secret clip? I tried to be polite but it did not move with kind words.

Johnny

#4 OFFLINE   robibb

robibb

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex SEL,Steel Blue Metallic Paint, Medium Light Stone Leather

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

We have a 2010 Limited/EB and it should have the cabin filter. At the back of the glove box, I can see the flap. I can pull a little on it but it won’t come out. I cannot see if there is a filter inside or not.

Any secret clip? I tried to be polite but it did not move with kind words.

Johnny

I went to the Ford dealer today to have some warrenty work done. While I was there I asked about how can I replace the cabin air filter in my 2010 Flex. They found the part number and the price around 25 bucks but they even went to the shop mechanic manual and it does not state on how to replace it? They found this a little strange as well. Hopefully someone has an answer on how to change it. They gave me a parts schematic on where its at but does not show how to get to it. They even printed out one for the Lincoln MKT and it shows the same filter and the same location so its got to be there. Knowing my luck this will take half the day and alot of excessive removal and a few extra parts when I am done. ;)

#5 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

I got to my CAF today, and this is how:

Open the glove box. Carefully squeeze the sides in to get past the stops, but go slow and easy! On the driver's side of the box, you'll see a rod that goes back under the dash. This is the damper that controls the opening speed of the glove box. Unhook it from the box, and let the box go all the way down.
On the blower housing, you'll see a door about 1" x 6" or so. On the bottom of this door are two latches. The left one is hard to get at, if you have big hands/fingers. Reach behind the latch and pull it down. You will be bending the plastic latch so that it clears a nub on the blower box. It's a bit tricky. Take a good look with flashlight, it will be clearer to you. You can do one side at a time. When both latches are clear, the door pivots up slightly, then move it down to free it from the upper retainers.

I used a small screwdriver on the sides of the filter itself to ease it out. There are arrows on the edge of the filter to show the airflow direction.

My Flex has 35,000 miles on it, just got it. The filter was filthy, lots of dirt, sand, a couple of small twigs, hairy-looking stuff, and general crud. I will replace the filter ASAP, so I get to take the old one out again…

Makes me shudder to think of all the crud my other cars sucked in and blew around the cabin. :barf:

ETA: corrected mileage

Edited by Midnight Rider, 08 September 2011 - 09:32 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   robibb

robibb

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex SEL,Steel Blue Metallic Paint, Medium Light Stone Leather

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:53 PM

Thank you for the informative post. Found what you are talking about. Picked up a cabin air filter for 10 bucks at a auto parts store, They had to get it from CA. So the dirty filter is replaced and I can in all sense breathe easier! :D

#7 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

Glad to be of some help! I stopped in a local parts place today, and they didn't even list it. I'll try NAPA tomorrow. The guys in the parts store did admire my Flex, though, so it wasn't a wasted trip :yahoo:

#8 OFFLINE   SeanD

SeanD

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Anybody that has replaced the CAF have a part number for reference?

#9 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:49 PM

NAPA # FIL4068. $11.49 plus tax. They had it next day.

#10 OFFLINE   alvafang

alvafang

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2005 ford focus

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

Inside, passenger's side, above blower motor, there's a screen you pull out, if I'm right. :rant2:

#11 OFFLINE   Johnny Langton

Johnny Langton

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 12 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 MKT Elite EcoBoost AWD

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

Changed my cabin air filter today. The car has approx 13K miles on it now, and it really needed it. The 12 month/12K miles recommendation is probably a really good interval after seeing how nasty this thing was:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It was pretty easy, the hardest part was getting those clips loose on the snap cover in order to pull the filter out. I replaced the OEM filter with an aftermarket carbon type filter to help remove any odd odors over time and help keep the cabin smelling clean and clear. It was only $14 from http://www.rockauto.com
JL
  • SMASH likes this

#12 OFFLINE   flex_25

flex_25

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Here's mine, changed it today.

Attached Files

#13 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Gross!
How many miles?

#14 OFFLINE   djflex

djflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts
  • Current Vehicle:07 F350 diesel and an 11 Flex Limited

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Where is the cabin air filter on a 2011?

#15 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

Where is the cabin air filter on a 2011?

How about reading post #5 above??

#16 OFFLINE   BruceG

BruceG

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Canada Atlantic Provinces
  • Current Vehicle:09 Ford Flex Sel

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

So Just to be clear is it the consensus of everyone that the 09 does not have a CAF or there is one and there is no listing for a CAF. I have an 09 and would like to change mine especially after reading this string. Please let me know.

#17 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 267 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

No CAF on the '09s

#18 OFFLINE   fullflex

fullflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:37 PM

BUT if you WANT a CAF on your 2009, you can put one in, since they have a spot for it. I cut open the plastic and put a filter for the 2010 flex in there and it has been working great! Here's a video of how to do it and part number for the filter door if you want the stock look, otherwise just put some HVAC tape over it:

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·