Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

miles per gallon (MPG)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: expectations vs reality on MPG (12 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you expect to get?

1. I expected to get 17 - 19 in town and t up to 25 on the highway (12 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. This was based on Ford advertising (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Did you get what you expected?

1. Was it a surprise? (10 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. This was based on careful calculations. How do you calculate it, and does the way you do it match the dealer's method? (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

So, what MPG are you getting?

1. How are you calculating your MPG? (10 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. What does your dealership and/or Ford HQ have to say in explanation? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Are you satisfied with their explanations? (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

If you aren''t satisfied, what next for you?

1. What will you do next? (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Do you believe there is more they can do? (7 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

3. If so, who does it,, and who pays for it? (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   polehiker

polehiker

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

Took our 2011 Flex 3.5 . on a trip to Virginia this past week. Got 21.4 mpg which was pretty close to what the display was telling me. I did not go light on the gas pedal and we had a lot of mountain long grades. Course we were coasting on the backside so it all evens out. This car rides like a dream. Really like the roominess. Wife did not want to get a Flex, but one test drive changed her mind. We now have 2100 miles on it.

#22 OFFLINE   bensford66

bensford66

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:37 AM

My 2010 EB is just under 3 months old now and has 8000 miles on it. I've been averaging about 16.5 city and 21.5 highway (OC). My actual overall has come out to just about 19 combined. I couldn't be happier with its performance (I'm a lead footer), efficiency, and its ride. The gas mileage is a godsend compared to my 2005 Explorer that I traded in on it...

#23 OFFLINE   grndsm

grndsm

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:16 AM

I think that it is pretty important to state if your Flex FWD or AWD. I have been driving AWD cars (Eclipses) since the early 90s and found that AWD usually costs you around 2mpg. Another factor is engine break-in, a lot of new cars will not reach peak economy until after 5-10k miles.

We just picked up our new to us 09 Flex FWD with 53k miles. Driving it home from the dealership on a 30 mile, relatively flat, highway with light traffic, we got 28.5 mpg cruising at 75mph (I have reset the average gauge as we got on the highway). I found that to be very impressive for such a large vehicle.

Once we got off the highway and drove it around the town for a few days, that average dropped to 20mpg, but still, not bad. Next, I will compare it to the actual numbers from filling it up.

#24 OFFLINE   muphasta

muphasta

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Got back yesterday from a trip to Vegas. Milage from the OBC was 22.5 on the way there from San Diego. This included the city driving we did while in Vegas. I reset and on the way back we got 24.9. This included the 4 miles of stop and go at the ag inspection place, 2 or 3 stops for food for the kids, and benefited from the mostly down hill roads from Vegas.

#25 OFFLINE   dowroa

dowroa

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

Keep in mind, you are driving a BRICK. If you exceed 65 MPH you will get horrible MPG. You are trying to push 4600 pounds down the road with a lot of wind resistance. If you aren't practicing the egg between the foot and pedal, then you will also see horrible MPG. Currently with the AWD Ecoboost I am seeing roughly 19 MPG on the dash, but my last two hand calculations came out at 17.1 and 16.8. The dash readout is about as accurate as a koolaid thermometer.

I drove a hybrid for about 3 years, so I can use the techniques I learned driving the Prius to get good fuel efficiency from the Flex, but the urge to pass and play come up often enough to hurt the mileage. If I can resist the urge through at least one tank, I can see what egg driving can get in these. I knew going into it that the MPG would not be great, it is a slab sided blunt nosed brick that applies power to all 4 wheels, so it will not get good MPG, but gets better than the AWD Explorer I had could ever get going downhill in a tail wind.

To get good MPG, driving style is everything. Light touches on the pedal, coasting to traffic stops, resisting the urge to tailgate and pass, maintaining a steady speed with minimal pedal use will get the best fuel economy. Something to try would be to air up the tires a bit higher than the stated pressure on the door, it is a trick we used in the Prius to get better than EPA. The downside of that is the center wears a bit more, and you has slightly less traction. Changing tires to ones with less rolling resistance also helps. Running Mobil 1 oil has also helped with the MPG, at least in the Veracruz and Fusion, my Flex has only 1600 miles on it, too early to change the factory fill out yet. I saw about a 1.3 MPG increase using Mobil 1. Alignment also plays a big part in how much gas is used, too much toe in/out causes tire scrubbing and hurts the rolling resistance big time. If they haven't done so, have them check the alignment, and tire wear. Toe in/out usually doesn't affect travel too much like camber/caster will, and .5* is enough to affect mileage.

The 4 biggies to poor mileage, improper tire pressures, improper alignment, wind resistance, and heavy foot. 3 out of 4 can be resolved, wind resistance can't, so drive it with the thought of pushing a brick through the air may help. Bricks don't fly without a lot of help.

Good points listed, but please note that the CoD of the Flex is actually pretty good:

Drag Coefficient .36 drag coefficient (it is actually .355, according to Ford)

Source: http://www.cars.com/...lex/2010/specs/

This compared to other cars is surprisingly good, especially compared to sedans I thought were better:

Source: http://en.wikipedia....rag_coefficient

Just a note. Once we get out 2010 through it's first full tank, I will be reporting. I drive this car like a Gran Touring car, so slow acceleration and drive at 55-65 on the highway. This is not supposed to be a quick scooter, and it is a 4600+ lb car used to transport people in comfort. No quick starts, and also no hypermiling. We are going on a long trip in September, so I expect some good numbers from that (mid-20s). Furthermore, we use this like a `mommy car`, and it has been great so far.

The only want I have of cars like this is a diesel engine, no losing fuel on idle, and general torque efficiency.

- brian

#26 OFFLINE   glenns

glenns

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

I have been getting 19.5 highway and 17 city on the OBC in my ecoboost with 16,000 miles. Highway for me is 80 mph so I realize I am my own worst enemy. Sorry I have not computed actual lately. Has anyone done a comparison to see if using premium gets you better milage than regular? If it does I wonder if it gets enough better milage to justify the extra cost?

#27 OFFLINE   md09flex

md09flex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 ford flex limited

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

with our 09 flex limited fwd loaded down with two adults and three children plus enough luggage for a week vacation got 27.6 mpg on our trip home. this was a 950 mile trip all interstate with the cruise set at 75mph, this was hand calculated the obc read 22.1mpg.to get this figure I would reset the trip computer when I filled the tank and at the next fill up would devide the distance by how much fuel it took to refill the tank.
  • tmclean122 likes this

#28 OFFLINE   lloydsflex

lloydsflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Flex

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

I just bought a 2009 SEL with 55k. Had it checked out by Lemon Squad because it was located in Fort Lauderdale and I'm in Houston. Came back with a good report, so I bought it and flew out and drove it back. I checked the mileage every time I filled it up and it ranged between 17 to 20 mpg. Since getting back, I've been checking the mileage and it SUCKS. Its getting about 12 mpg city driving. My wife drives it so I know it isn't getting flogged from light to light. I'm an engine rebuilder by trade, and so I suspect there may be an issue with the throttle body, sometimes they get caked up with buildup from the wonderful gas that is available to us, so I'm going to pull the intake hose off and try cleaning it out with a rag and see if that doesn't make a difference. I'll let ya'll know what i find.

#29 OFFLINE   turbodave

turbodave

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Lincoln MKT, Ecoboost, Crystal Champagne

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:26 AM

I know it's not a Flex, but rather it's heavier sister (MKT ecoboost AWD). I track every ounce of fuel going into it on my personal spread sheet and on fuelly. I'm a conservative driver and use the "egg between the foot and pedal" method, with a rare stomp for fun.

So far my overall average is 19.9 mpg, with the worst tank being 18.0, and the best tank being 21.3 No real long highway trips yet so see how much I can squeeze out of it on a long flat highway. We live in the Smokey Mountains here so there is no such thing as a flat or straight piece of road. Hopefully on a nice long flat road trip I'll be able to squeeze out 24, once it get loosened up.

I've never used the onboard fuel mileage computer, they seem innacurate to me. I prefer to track it more accurately on my special spread sheet.

#30 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost, 2011 Camaro SS/RS conv. and 2002 Ford Ranger Edge

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

I consistently get 18-21 mpg with my Ecoboost Limited, which I am happy with, given my driving habits. I have achieved 22 mpg on several trips. When I pull my 2500lb trailer, I consistently get 14-15 mpg. I only use premium fuel. I am a happy camper....

#31 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

I keep records of my fuel usage, and in almost 12,000 miles of mixed driving, but mostly country roads, I have averaged 20.08 MPG actual. The OC has averaged 0.86 MPG high, so is optimistic.

I am satisfied with the mileage, since I knew I was buying a brick, and it does move along nicely when I want it to. I usually drive pretty gently, though.

#32 OFFLINE   chucky

chucky

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex Limited

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

Around town, our 2012 non-ecoboost gets 19.3mpg.  On interstate hiway trips from Atlanta to Memphis, we'll average 21-22mpg.  Hiway mpg is greatly influenced by speed. I typiccally drive around 76-78 mph, and could probably up my mpg if I'd slow down a little.  ymmv

#33 OFFLINE   ICU L8R

ICU L8R

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Flex Limited AWD (Ordered)

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:07 PM

So far (1700 Miles on 14 LTD EB AWD) is 16.6MPG with almost no highway driving and my cast iron foot. The OBC says 16.8MPG...its not far off. Idle time on cold mornings with the remote starter has also killed this number. Thank god its finally warming up in PA,

#34 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

As the newness wears off and the weather warms up you may do better, byt a couple mpg's.  Right now it's too much fun. 

Highway mpg's are pretty good if you stay close to the speed limit.

#35 OFFLINE   mickey franklin

mickey franklin

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Flex SEL

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

very good milage.  22 mpg town/hwy.   25-27 hwy only  Happy with that.  My check is testing it against mile makers on the highway.  When signs say 2 miles to exit I check odometer and it is right on.  Standard V-6, Front wheel drive.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·