Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

miles per gallon (MPG)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: expectations vs reality on MPG (12 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you expect to get?

1. I expected to get 17 - 19 in town and t up to 25 on the highway (12 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. This was based on Ford advertising (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Did you get what you expected?

1. Was it a surprise? (10 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. This was based on careful calculations. How do you calculate it, and does the way you do it match the dealer's method? (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

So, what MPG are you getting?

1. How are you calculating your MPG? (10 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. What does your dealership and/or Ford HQ have to say in explanation? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Are you satisfied with their explanations? (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

If you aren''t satisfied, what next for you?

1. What will you do next? (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Do you believe there is more they can do? (7 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

3. If so, who does it,, and who pays for it? (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   smeehan

smeehan

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:07 AM

My husband have had our Flex for just about a year. While it has been used mostly intown, we also made a round trip drive last summer from Washington, DC, first to New Orleans, to visit our children and then to Waco Texas to visit other relatives and back to DC. Our mileage has been HORRIBLE and getting worse, dspite repeated visits to the dealer to work on it. I saw 9l3 mpg come up recently. .surely. sometjhing must be seriously wrong! If so, it's nothing that the dealer knows about or is holding in reserve - and he has told us that the h

#2 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

Keep in mind, you are driving a BRICK. If you exceed 65 MPH you will get horrible MPG. You are trying to push 4600 pounds down the road with a lot of wind resistance. If you aren't practicing the egg between the foot and pedal, then you will also see horrible MPG. Currently with the AWD Ecoboost I am seeing roughly 19 MPG on the dash, but my last two hand calculations came out at 17.1 and 16.8. The dash readout is about as accurate as a koolaid thermometer.

I drove a hybrid for about 3 years, so I can use the techniques I learned driving the Prius to get good fuel efficiency from the Flex, but the urge to pass and play come up often enough to hurt the mileage. If I can resist the urge through at least one tank, I can see what egg driving can get in these. I knew going into it that the MPG would not be great, it is a slab sided blunt nosed brick that applies power to all 4 wheels, so it will not get good MPG, but gets better than the AWD Explorer I had could ever get going downhill in a tail wind.

To get good MPG, driving style is everything. Light touches on the pedal, coasting to traffic stops, resisting the urge to tailgate and pass, maintaining a steady speed with minimal pedal use will get the best fuel economy. Something to try would be to air up the tires a bit higher than the stated pressure on the door, it is a trick we used in the Prius to get better than EPA. The downside of that is the center wears a bit more, and you has slightly less traction. Changing tires to ones with less rolling resistance also helps. Running Mobil 1 oil has also helped with the MPG, at least in the Veracruz and Fusion, my Flex has only 1600 miles on it, too early to change the factory fill out yet. I saw about a 1.3 MPG increase using Mobil 1. Alignment also plays a big part in how much gas is used, too much toe in/out causes tire scrubbing and hurts the rolling resistance big time. If they haven't done so, have them check the alignment, and tire wear. Toe in/out usually doesn't affect travel too much like camber/caster will, and .5* is enough to affect mileage.

The 4 biggies to poor mileage, improper tire pressures, improper alignment, wind resistance, and heavy foot. 3 out of 4 can be resolved, wind resistance can't, so drive it with the thought of pushing a brick through the air may help. Bricks don't fly without a lot of help.

#3 OFFLINE   wineberserkers

wineberserkers

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

ACD, your Flex only has 1600 miles on it - you aren't anywhere near the point where you will achieve the correct MPG, as the engine is not yet broken in. Typically one can expect 10-15% improvement once break-in is completed.

You are correct regarding the 'aerodynamics', however, and I use that term loosely, as it is a big box.

#4 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

ACD, your Flex only has 1600 miles on it - you aren't anywhere near the point where you will achieve the correct MPG, as the engine is not yet broken in. Typically one can expect 10-15% improvement once break-in is completed.

You are correct regarding the 'aerodynamics', however, and I use that term loosely, as it is a big box.

Well I took it for a ride yesterday, put about 180 miles on, all highway. I saw 25 MPG one way, 22.3 on the return. Had a tailwind going down, but a strong headwind coming back up. I would say with minimal wind, I cant see why the Flex can't get 24 MPG or better on the highway. The mileage is improving the more I learn how to drive it. My last tank hand calculated out to 20.1 MPG. This is mixed city Highway.

#5 OFFLINE   coursy

coursy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

We drive a 2009 AWD SEL. On our March break trip of 2700 miles we got 19 MPG (U.S. Gallon). I was expecting a bit better considering the amount of highway driving.. The display was 21.5 GPM. The good news is that we made the trip with only two issues and neither one stopped the trip.

#6 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

We drive a 2009 AWD SEL. On our March break trip of 2700 miles we got 19 MPG (U.S. Gallon). I was expecting a bit better considering the amount of highway driving.. The display was 21.5 GPM. The good news is that we made the trip with only two issues and neither one stopped the trip.

What was your average MPH? Speed will play a huge role in MPG with our Bricks. 63 MPH gains the most FE, 70 and above chews it up greatly.

#7 OFFLINE   rreaume

rreaume

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:02 AM

Keep in mind, you are driving a BRICK. If you exceed 65 MPH you will get horrible MPG. You are trying to push 4600 pounds down the road with a lot of wind resistance. If you aren't practicing the egg between the foot and pedal, then you will also see horrible MPG. Currently with the AWD Ecoboost I am seeing roughly 19 MPG on the dash, but my last two hand calculations came out at 17.1 and 16.8. The dash readout is about as accurate as a koolaid thermometer.

I drove a hybrid for about 3 years, so I can use the techniques I learned driving the Prius to get good fuel efficiency from the Flex, but the urge to pass and play come up often enough to hurt the mileage. If I can resist the urge through at least one tank, I can see what egg driving can get in these. I knew going into it that the MPG would not be great, it is a slab sided blunt nosed brick that applies power to all 4 wheels, so it will not get good MPG, but gets better than the AWD Explorer I had could ever get going downhill in a tail wind.

To get good MPG, driving style is everything. Light touches on the pedal, coasting to traffic stops, resisting the urge to tailgate and pass, maintaining a steady speed with minimal pedal use will get the best fuel economy. Something to try would be to air up the tires a bit higher than the stated pressure on the door, it is a trick we used in the Prius to get better than EPA. The downside of that is the center wears a bit more, and you has slightly less traction. Changing tires to ones with less rolling resistance also helps. Running Mobil 1 oil has also helped with the MPG, at least in the Veracruz and Fusion, my Flex has only 1600 miles on it, too early to change the factory fill out yet. I saw about a 1.3 MPG increase using Mobil 1. Alignment also plays a big part in how much gas is used, too much toe in/out causes tire scrubbing and hurts the rolling resistance big time. If they haven't done so, have them check the alignment, and tire wear. Toe in/out usually doesn't affect travel too much like camber/caster will, and .5* is enough to affect mileage.

The 4 biggies to poor mileage, improper tire pressures, improper alignment, wind resistance, and heavy foot. 3 out of 4 can be resolved, wind resistance can't, so drive it with the thought of pushing a brick through the air may help. Bricks don't fly without a lot of help.

#8 OFFLINE   rreaume

rreaume

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:08 AM

I myself have a AWD Ecoboost and am only getting 16.2MPG average. I have only 3000 miles on it now and hope it will improve after my first oil change. No matter how I drive it seems to get the same I have tried taking it easy for a tank, and have driven it normally and it does not seem to make a difference. From what other AWD flex owners have told me is that you do not see the sticker fuel economy util after approximately 4000 miles and the first oil change. I am hoping to get at least 19MPG because most of my mixed driving is highway. Any more info from other Ecoboost owners???

#9 OFFLINE   frpda205

frpda205

2010 MKt owner

• Ford Flex Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

[quote name='rreaume' date='24 March 2010 - 06:08 AM' timestamp='1269425284' post='6566']
I myself have a AWD Ecoboost and am only getting 16.2MPG average. I have only 3000 miles on it now and hope it will improve after my first oil change. No matter how I drive it seems to get the same I have tried taking it easy for a tank, and have driven it normally and it does not seem to make a difference. From what other AWD flex owners have told me is that you do not see the sticker fuel economy util after approximately 4000 miles and the first oil change. I am hoping to get at least 19MPG because most of my mixed driving is highway. Any more info from other Ecoboost owners???
[/quoteURL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/frpda205/mkt]Posted Image[/URL]

#10 OFFLINE   mallie

mallie

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

I'm getting 22.4mpg. That's a mixture of small town/country and highway driving. It was 21.6. We took a road trip. mpg increased to 22.8. It's been 22.4 ever since we've been home (8 days). Just under 3000 miles on the car. It's in the shop right now for some warranty work. I'm having them change the oil while it's in there. Oh, I go by the OBC for mpg.
Monica

[quote name='frpda205' date='24 March 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1269466705' post='6572']
[quote name='rreaume' date='24 March 2010 - 06:08 AM' timestamp='1269425284' post='6566']
[/quoteURL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/frpda205/mkt]Posted Image[/URL]
[/quote]

#11 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:50 AM

The OBC and real MPG are not the same. Mine read 25 MPG, tank calculation came out to 20.1. Right now it is sitting at 21.9 MPG, and I plan to fill up later today and calculate this tank to see what the real MPG is. I suspect you are probably more around 19 MPG than the 22 you think you are getting. My F350 reads 22 MPG but gets 14. Heck it even went up to 35 MPG for a while, but I only got 18.

#12 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:18 AM

Here's an incredibly full list (click the link below) of my mileage records for a 3.5 NA (non-boost).

#13 OFFLINE   coursy

coursy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:12 AM

What was your average MPH? Speed will play a huge role in MPG with our Bricks. 63 MPH gains the most FE, 70 and above chews it up greatly.

We were certainly over that for most of the trip. Speed limit is mainly 70 mph on the way down so 75 mph was the average speed. The extra few dollars was worth the time saved. It was a comfortable drive. The flex drives very well at higher speeds.

#14 OFFLINE   rockymen

rockymen

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

My salesman has been telling me about a " lowering kit " that is available which is suppose to lower the center of gravity and reduce the wind resistance. Have you heard about this?

#15 OFFLINE   LLP

LLP

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:20 AM

My 2009 has over 25,000 miles, most of which has been driven in windy West Texas with heavy weight (I show dogs) and rarely dips below 20 mpg (actual, not on the dash) . That said, I drive the speed limit, get the oil changed regularly, keep the tires inflated, and all that. And - my previous car was a 2000 Chevy Express.... ;)

#16 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

The OBC and real MPG are not the same. Mine read 25 MPG, tank calculation came out to 20.1. Right now it is sitting at 21.9 MPG, and I plan to fill up later today and calculate this tank to see what the real MPG is. I suspect you are probably more around 19 MPG than the 22 you think you are getting. My F350 reads 22 MPG but gets 14. Heck it even went up to 35 MPG for a while, but I only got 18.

I find these comments very interesting. I've been driving Fords with OBCs for as long as they've existed, and they've always been very close to my own calculations. If the computer is off that bad on MPG, it should also be way off on Gasoline consumption numbers. I like the computer on my '99 Expedition better than the current ones--it gives me instantaneous MPG readings as well as the average readings. I can believe that mileage goes way down over 65 MPH. At lower speeds, so far, I've been happy. I guess I'll have to start keeping a notebook for hand calculations.

#17 OFFLINE   D'Aire

D'Aire

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

I find these comments very interesting. I've been driving Fords with OBCs for as long as they've existed, and they've always been very close to my own calculations. If the computer is off that bad on MPG, it should also be way off on Gasoline consumption numbers. I like the computer on my '99 Expedition better than the current ones--it gives me instantaneous MPG readings as well as the average readings. I can believe that mileage goes way down over 65 MPH. At lower speeds, so far, I've been happy. I guess I'll have to start keeping a notebook for hand calculations.

I agree. We occationally hand check our Fords, and so far the OBC has been right on. I particularily like that, because it means I can trust the "miles until empty" warning. I have been known to get it down to 5 miles!! :fear:

#18 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

I agree. We occationally hand check our Fords, and so far the OBC has been right on. I particularily like that, because it means I can trust the "miles until empty" warning. I have been known to get it down to 5 miles!! :fear:

I just checked the first fill-up mileage. The OBC said 17.0 mpg but I calculated it at 16.5. Our mileage is low because we live at 7000' and we have many hills and stop signs and stop lights in town. Waiting for long stop lights is the worst.

Will report back at next fill-up.

#19 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

After a couple more fill-ups, the OBC seems to register about 1 mpg better than what I calculate by hand.

Edited by Flagstaff, 15 June 2010 - 02:50 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:35 AM

After a couple more fill-ups, the OBC seems to register about 1 mpg better than what I calculate by hand.

That's been our experience... full detail on the link in my sig.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·