Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Should I Get SIRIUS?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paiahippiehater

paiahippiehater

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Ok somebody help me, my wife says it would be a waste of money... Is it worth the $10 a month... does it dound better than normal radio.. is the quality of music played better than normal radio???????? so on and so forth

#2 OFFLINE   Gumby

Gumby

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:51 AM

Although you get a lot of channels, it really depends on your tastes. Where we live it is a 4 hr drive to get anywhere and in between there is NO radio stations, so sirius was a logical choice. Now I preferred the Channel 8 (80's), Channel 1 (hits), Channel 39 (BPM) and Raw Dog Comedy. Although my wife had less of an appreciation on the last one.

Again, it depends how much you (will) use it.

#3 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

When I had the Camry and Veracruz, the XM was worth it, but now that I have Sync, I don't feel it is worth it since all the music I like to listen to is now on my flash drive and I can play what ever song I want to hear.

#4 OFFLINE   Bjoeboo

Bjoeboo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

Ok somebody help me, my wife says it would be a waste of money... Is it worth the $10 a month... does it dound better than normal radio.. is the quality of music played better than normal radio???????? so on and so forth

About 3 or four months ago, fter MUCH agonizing and waffling back and forth I finally caved in and bought::
SIRIUS TRAVEL-LINK+TRAFFIC 2 Year $125.79

The more months you pay for up front, the cheaper it gets. Anyways, I regret it. With my ipod always in the usb I NEVER listen to music from Sirius / XM. Too many commercials. I listen to 1 song, then an ad comes on and I flip through a bunch of stations, don't hear anything I like (half the stations are advertisements), then switch back to my ipod. Its interesting that both cable TV and now satellite radio business models start out "commercial-free", that's what you're paying for right? Then a year or 2 later they're the same as free TV and terrestrial radio. I think the only stations with no commercials now are the 50's on 5, 60's on 6, 70's on 7, etc... I tire of those genres very fast. I think Howard Stern is almost worth it though. I know a lot of people find him to be a disgusting pig but there is no doubting his interviewing skills. Many times I can't get out of my Flex after I arrive at my destination because I've been pulled into his interview of some celeb. Also if you're a sports fan the satellite might be worth it, but I'm not one. Another problem is even though I gave up an arm and leg to Sirius they want another 2.99 a month to allow me to carry on listening to Stern on my phone or internet connection when I leave my Flex. I'm pretty disappointed in Sirius. I won't be renewing. I do like (and use the hell out of) seeing the traffic and accidents show up on the on my NAV, as well as finding cheapest gas prices, But this is available standalone in the Sirius Traffic and Travelink package for 6.99 a month. I wonder though if that's too much even, since I have lifetime traffic on my portable Garmin? I also bought lifetime maps on my portable Garmin for $100 that allows me 4 map upgrades a year (I fly around a lot for my job and use the Garmin in rental cars). 1 map update for my Flex is $200. Ludicrous.

I can't wait until somebody puts together an aftermarket "sync-like" package using standard components you can get/order from Crutchfield or someplace. So we can have all name-brand, quality components, i.e.:, Pandora in the touch-screen, other useful driving apps, maybe the Audible (books on tape) store/app, itunes or amazon music library download / sync from your account in the cloud, etc, an automotive app-store that actually works, etc... There's already some stuff showing up at auto-shows built around the Android OS. Looks very promising!

Edited by Bjoeboo, 30 April 2011 - 10:11 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   deub

deub

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:FLEX 2011 AWD LMD

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

Sound quality sucks and you get big delays when switching between stations. Consider Pandora instead.

About 3 or four months ago, fter MUCH agonizing and waffling back and forth I finally caved in and bought::
SIRIUS TRAVEL-LINK+TRAFFIC 2 Year $125.79

The more months you pay for up front, the cheaper it gets. Anyways, I regret it. With my ipod always in the usb I NEVER listen to music from Sirius / XM. Too many commercials. I listen to 1 song, then an ad comes on and I flip through a bunch of stations, don't hear anything I like (half the stations are advertisements), then switch back to my ipod. Its interesting that both cable TV and now satellite radio business models start out "commercial-free", that's what you're paying for right? Then a year or 2 later they're the same as free TV and terrestrial radio. I think the only stations with no commercials now are the 50's on 5, 60's on 6, 70's on 7, etc... I tire of those genres very fast. I think Howard Stern is almost worth it though. I know a lot of people find him to be a disgusting pig but there is no doubting his interviewing skills. Many times I can't get out of my Flex after I arrive at my destination because I've been pulled into his interview of some celeb. Also if you're a sports fan the satellite might be worth it, but I'm not one. Another problem is even though I gave up an arm and leg to Sirius they want another 2.99 a month to allow me to carry on listening to Stern on my phone or internet connection when I leave my Flex. I'm pretty disappointed in Sirius. I won't be renewing. I do like (and use the hell out of) seeing the traffic and accidents show up on the on my NAV, as well as finding cheapest gas prices, But this is available standalone in the Sirius Traffic and Travelink package for 6.99 a month. I wonder though if that's too much even, since I have lifetime traffic on my portable Garmin? I also bought lifetime maps on my portable Garmin for $100 that allows me 4 map upgrades a year (I fly around a lot for my job and use the Garmin in rental cars). 1 map update for my Flex is $200. Ludicrous.

I can't wait until somebody puts together an aftermarket "sync-like" package using standard components you can get/order from Crutchfield or someplace. So we can have all name-brand, quality components, i.e.:, Pandora in the touch-screen, other useful driving apps, maybe the Audible (books on tape) store/app, itunes or amazon music library download / sync from your account in the cloud, etc, an automotive app-store that actually works, etc... There's already some stuff showing up at auto-shows built around the Android OS. Looks very promising!

Edited by deub, 03 October 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   FredericJean

FredericJean

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

When I got the flex, I actually thought about getting Sirius for a week and then a friend at the office showed me a new app he got on his iPhone, called TuneIn Radio. It's basically an app to tune to radio stations around the world, that runs off your 3G package. You can choose by country, city, music style, decades, etc. The car plays it via Bluetooth when my cell is connected. The sound is great and you don't need to pay extra for Sirius...

#7 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

I considered again subscribing to Sirius, motivated by the free trial this week. I changed my mind when I read the fine print. $15 setup charge, and unspecified amounts for other fees and taxes. I don't buy something if I don't know what it will cost. The price they show ($12.95/mo I think) is misleading, since there are other unknown fees involved. I don't do business with a company like that. Too bad, I really like the product.

#8 OFFLINE   frpda205

frpda205

2010 MKt owner

• Ford Flex Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

Call and tell them what you what and that your not going to subscribe unless they drop the setup charge. I got 6 months for 5 bucks a month, no setup fee, plus 2.99 for travelLink. :happy feet: . I wasn't going to do it at all for 12.95 plus 2.99 for travelLink. But at the end of six months I will cancel if they do not renew for a similar price. Just call them tell them what you want. :shift:

#9 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Call and tell them what you what and that your not going to subscribe unless they drop the setup charge. I got 6 months for 5 bucks a month, no setup fee, plus 2.99 for travelLink. :happy feet: . I wasn't going to do it at all for 12.95 plus 2.99 for travelLink. But at the end of six months I will cancel if they do not renew for a similar price. Just call them tell them what you want. :shift:

Great idea! We'll give that a shot.

#10 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost, 2011 Camaro SS/RS conv. and 2002 Ford Ranger Edge

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

At first I was only going to subscribe to the Sirrius Travellink, which I love, but decided to go ahead and subscribe to the other. Call them and ask about their multi-year discounts...I think my three-year subscription worked out to 8.95 a month and there was no 'set up charge.' Don't go for the lifetime subscription on a vehicle...the subscription is only for the lifetime of that vehicle and can't be transferred.

#11 OFFLINE   turbodave

turbodave

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Lincoln MKT, Ecoboost, Crystal Champagne

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Geez, must be different with the LIncoln.... I got a 6 month free trial with my MKT, or are ya'll buying used flex's?

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·