Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Any one thrown a K&N filter in their flex?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paiahippiehater

paiahippiehater

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

Just wondering never owned a car without a K&N but i was wondering if anyone has done so already? is it worth the $50?

#2 OFFLINE   Bulldozer

Bulldozer

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:35 PM

Just wondering never owned a car without a K&N but i was wondering if anyone has done so already? is it worth the $50?

Topic has been discussed in previous thread. In the Search box at the top of the page type in "K&N air filters and it should come up.

I have heard of problems the oil in the filter causing mass air flow sensor failure. Could just be an over oil filter. Have no personal experiences with K&N.
  • JCx4 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

Topic has been discussed in previous thread. In the Search box at the top of the page type in "K&N air filters and it should come up.

I have heard of problems the oil in the filter causing mass air flow sensor failure. Could just be an over oil filter. Have no personal experiences with K&N.

I have, and if you have an EB model, DONT DO IT!

#4 OFFLINE   Flexable1

Flexable1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

I installed a K&N filter at 5,000 miles and its still there at 32000 miles. I did clean and oil it one time. My mileage, on the meter, shows about 24mpg. So i would say its worth the price. If you do not follow the cleaning instructions as printed you will have problems. You need to let the filter Air Dry after cleaing, then add the oil as stated. Do not over oil the filter and its good to go. Now to find comments on the GF Chip and if its worth the $69. :worship:

#5 OFFLINE   Milk Truck

Milk Truck

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

I just put ours in. Took a while to buy one but finally got it. Almost every vehilcle I've own has had one, and they are worth the $55. I've never had a problem and they always improve MPG even if only a fraction of a MPG, it will pay for it's self quickly.

For example, if you drive a vehicle that gets 17MPG, 12500Miles/yr, than your fuel cost is apporx $2500/yr, so even a 1% improvement (0.17mpg) would save you $25/yr in fuel, and not have to buy any more filters. so pays for itself.

The one thing is that you cant clean them too frequently, they do need some dirt to be efficient at filtering.

#6 OFFLINE   _3012

_3012

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

I'm seeing a 2 mpg performance gain with the K&N installed. I'm also seeing 2 mpg or a little bit more when towing our travel trailer. Check out this article on the topic http://bit.ly/mXiDtx

#7 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:33 AM

I used to swear by K&N filters and put them in all my cars. Then I got a check engine light in my Focus and traced it down to dirt and oil clogging up the MAF. I cleaned it up, took the K&N off and have driven 5 years since with no issues. If you're getting improved MPG, it's directly related to more dirt getting into your engine. More likely, you're not doing a fair test. My fuel economy improves 2-3mpg just based on the time of year with no changed to my car or driving.

I'm mean seriously, if the OEMs could get a 1% improvement in fuel economy for the price of a K&N filter, don't you think they'd do it?

#8 OFFLINE   Milk Truck

Milk Truck

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

They are not going to spend the money, paper filters are less than $1. they also have the warranty issue as the filters have a longer service life, and need to be maintained.

K&N would also have to compete against the likes of Honeywell, a multi billion dollar company with strong ties to the automotive industry.

As for your changes between seasons, thats completely normal due to gas mix and the fact that internal combustion engines perform less efficiently at lower temprtatures, higher humidity levels, very high temperatures etc.. For those us of us in the northen areas where winters are filled with snow, and frezzing temperatures, than you've heard of winter gas...Winter gas contains higher concentrations of isopropane, butane, ethanol and other additives that help with cold starting, converter burn off and prevent freezing of the fuel system, but it takes more gas to make the same amount of power. Therefore you use more of it.

Most people will see MPG changes that are attributed to ethanol content as well. Higher content of Ethanol doest burn well in standard calibration vehicles.

K&N filters do show an improvement, however small, with little or no loss in filtering capacity.

#9 OFFLINE   webigon

webigon

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Flex

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

I installed the K&N 77-2578KS Performance Intake System and this thing is great!! Sounds really nice!! Totally happy with it. Now I am in the market for some after market exhaust...

#10 OFFLINE   MikeyP

MikeyP

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 27 posts
  • Current Vehicle:03 Lightning & 2010 Flex

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

I installed the K&N 77-2578KS Performance Intake System and this thing is great!! Sounds really nice!! Totally happy with it. Now I am in the market for some after market exhaust...

Same here. K&N Cold Air Induction. Haven't owned a vehicle in the last 20+ years that hasn't had at least a K&N filter. Wouldn't go any other way!!!!! Most vehicles complete CAI's

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·