Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

On Board Computer MPG vs. Real MPG

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:46 AM

After filling the tank on our NA (normally aspirated) 3.5L V6 Flex AWD 43 times over more than 13,000 miles I have only missed getting the On Board Computer (OBC) MPG 9 times. After noting the OBC vs. "hand calculated" MPG a total of 34 times the OBC has overstated 33 times and been dead on just once. It's not off by much usually, about .5 to 1 MPG on average I think its safe to say that at least on our Flex the OBC overstates by just a little bit without fail. This doesn't surprise me, and I'm not complaining, I'm just noting. You can see my records by clicking on the link below.

#2 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

Normal. It doesn't take into account certain variables. like climbing a hill, or sitting in traffic. It just measures gas flow, throttle position, speed, and a few other variables and takes a guess at it. You should see the one in my F350 Diesel, I can get 32 MPG with it, at least according to the over head display. I find if I only reset the display once every 10 tanks, I get a closer average than if I reset it every tank.

#3 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Normal. It doesn't take into account certain variables. like climbing a hill, or sitting in traffic. It just measures gas flow, throttle position, speed, and a few other variables and takes a guess at it. You should see the one in my F350 Diesel, I can get 32 MPG with it, at least according to the over head display. I find if I only reset the display once every 10 tanks, I get a closer average than if I reset it every tank.

Normal perhaps, but not consistent with the Audi's and VW's I have owned which frequently understate by about the same amount....

#4 OFFLINE   2DARKBLUEMEM

2DARKBLUEMEM

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

After 2 fill-ups 1@20 mpg and another @19mpg my dash display shows 19.6 mpg

#5 OFFLINE   DelawareMan

DelawareMan

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

I'm getting only 11 MPG with my new 2010 flex so wish that it was just getting above the minimum ratings!

#6 OFFLINE   2DARKBLUEMEM

2DARKBLUEMEM

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:19 AM

I'm getting only 11 MPG with my new 2010 flex so wish that it was just getting above the minimum ratings!

Well, I can only guess why your MPG is so low.
You have been drag racing everyone at each traffic signal, or you are displeased with the Flex.
My dash MPG states 20.0 MPG, I have calculated my mileage 3 times --19mpg---20mpg---21.3mpg.

#7 OFFLINE   frpda205

frpda205

2010 MKt owner

• Ford Flex Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

I'm getting 12.5 after 8 fill ups on the MKT with EcoBoost. My best according to Fuelly was 15.4 mpg on regular. Light throttle :baby: from stops staying below 2500 rpm (thats really tough with this motor :shift: . I put premium in for the first time since leaving the dealer and got 12.8 mpg. And Mid-grade I got 12.2 mpg.
During the summer I going to experiment to see what gives better mpg's Premium, mid-grade, or regular. Anyone aware of any studies on this issue. I know according the owner's manual Premium should be used in summer and when towing for best performance but what about best mpg's?
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

I'm getting 12.5 after 8 fill ups on the MKT with EcoBoost. My best according to Fuelly was 15.4 mpg on regular. Light throttle :baby: from stops staying below 2500 rpm (thats really tough with this motor :shift: . I put premium in for the first time since leaving the dealer and got 12.8 mpg. And Mid-grade I got 12.2 mpg.
During the summer I going to experiment to see what gives better mpg's Premium, mid-grade, or regular. Anyone aware of any studies on this issue. I know according the owner's manual Premium should be used in summer and when towing for best performance but what about best mpg's?
Posted Image

I have run premium in the Veracruz a few times and actually did see a slight gain, but not enough to warrant running it all the time, after all there is a premium to running premium. :hysterical: I ran premium in the Flex once, saw a drop in MPG, but it is still new and not quite broken in yet. The few times I calculated the tank, I got 16, 17, 20 and 18. I think it is safe to say my normal daily driving will see about 17 average.

#9 OFFLINE   algoss

algoss

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:24 AM

I'm on my second Flex. It's a company car, and I had Taurus X's and Freestyles before that. I drive 30-40,000 miles a year, and get a new vehicle every December.

Currently I have a 2011 FWD, just the basic Flex. I've had it for 11 days and have ~1500 miles on it.

I have been keeping track of my mileage very carefully for the last few years. I started doing it when I saw some differences between the calculated MPG and my calculation.

I reset the MPG calculator at every fill-up. I write down the mileage, the calculated MPG, and the amount of gas pumped. I enter it all in a spreadsheet and keep track of the 5 fill-up and long-term averages.

Some observations:
- The calculated MPG is always at least 3% too low, and as much as 6%. The average difference is about 3.5%
- This difference has been constant through the Freestyles, Taurus X, and Flex's
- The overall mileage starts low, and gets higher after the vehicle gets broken in, as expected.
- I get dealer maintenance every 7,500 miles, and the mileage drops after every time it goes to the dealer, then comes back up.
- I use cruise control on the Interstate, running at 70 MPH, as much as possible.
- I use my GPS, and occasionally the mile markers, to verify my speed, since the speedometer also reads high, and it's not consistent.
- I have gotten as much as 25 MPG, calculated, on a tankful of fuel, on a long trip, such as CT to MD. (I got 29 once on a Freestyle).
- My overall mileage, on the last Flex, was 21.75MPG

Al

#10 OFFLINE   MaxiCooper

MaxiCooper

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 15 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Flex SEL

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:31 AM

I have been hand calculating mine since I got the Flex, just to see if I can rely on the on board. My Grand Marquis was an outright liar. This one in the Flex is a lot closer than I thought it would be... it is always within a percent or percent and a half of hand calculations. Close enough for me.

#11 OFFLINE   buyamerican

buyamerican

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

It seems to me that it being off by 0.5 of an MPG is pretty darn good. How EXACTLY are you calculating? How do you know how much is in the tank when you put more gas in? How do you account for the gas in the fuel lines and filter and fuel rail? How are you verifying filling the tank to the exact same level at each fill up? I would suggest the Flex computer is more accurate than your pen and paper.

You may reply that you can look at long term mileage and long term gas quantities, but what if there is a difference between how much gas is in there right now versus the first time you began keeping track.

Edited by buyamerican, 01 January 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   brockdog12

brockdog12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 18 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

on my 2009 I have been calculating my mileage as well because my Mountaineer had a fuel useage piece on the display as well which was pretty accurate. So far I am getting better mileage with the Flex, smaller engine but also a smaller tank. The MPG on the display has been spot on but also off by as much as 2 MPG to the worse. Either way I am getting over 100 miles per quarter tank as opposed to the 80 miles or less with my old Mountaineer. The Miuntaineer averaged 15.5 to 16.5 around town and the Flex over 18.5 easily. Hwy, about 23.5 highest so far. Just went over 39,000 miles.

#13 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

I tried it twice and was off by .6 MPG....good enough for me....5500 miles and 20.7 MPG mostly country riding 80% city 20%....Very acceptable....

#14 OFFLINE   aschindler

aschindler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Flex AWD

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

I just bought a 2012 AWD Flex SEL- Iand I can't get any better 15.5 MPG- on the hightway. Is this normal ? I'm very confused, the dealer said there isn't anyting they can do.

#15 OFFLINE   Vankor

Vankor

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

I just bought a 2012 AWD Flex SEL- Iand I can't get any better 15.5 MPG- on the hightway. Is this normal ? I'm very confused, the dealer said there isn't anyting they can do.

How many miles are on it? Typically after 5-6000 miles it should start to improve as it breaks in.

#16 OFFLINE   aschindler

aschindler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Flex AWD

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

1000 miles. Do you really think I will get another 5 mpg on the hwy by simple adding another 5000 miles? Seems strange. That's what the dealer said. I spoke with another flex owner w the same model. And he got 22mpg right away on the hwy.

#17 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:21 AM

1000 miles. Do you really think I will get another 5 mpg on the hwy by simple adding another 5000 miles? Seems strange. That's what the dealer said. I spoke with another flex owner w the same model. And he got 22mpg right away on the hwy.

The break-in is probably worth 2-3mpg and the winter fuel you're burning now is probably worth another 2-3mpg. So I think come summer you'll be up to at least 20.

#18 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm keeping a spreadsheet on my Flex gas usage.

In 36 fillups, I have a true mileage max of 23.92 MPG, mostly highway, a low of 17.94 (local short trips), and an overall average of 19.79 over 5700 miles, mixed driving.

The car reads an average of +.86 MPG, the worst error being +1.66 MPG, usually about 1 MPG high. I think it should do better, but it's not important to me.

I think almost 20 MPG overall is quite good for this size vehicle. I drive with a rather light foot, but like to let 'er rip occasionally. It brings a nice big grin to my face, as this is the fastest vehicle I've owned for quite a while.

#19 OFFLINE   chucky

chucky

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex Limited

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

I have been hand calculating mine since I got the Flex, just to see if I can rely on the on board. My Grand Marquis was an outright liar. This one in the Flex is a lot closer than I thought it would be... it is always within a percent or percent and a half of hand calculations. Close enough for me.

I also own both these vehicles--(the Marquis, and now the Flex--as of today :redcard: ). The mileage on the Marquis was consistantly off, but by no more than 1 or 1 1/2 mpg. We purchased it new, in the LS trim, and now have 158,000 miles. In town, 19.5 to 20.8mpg. On the highway, 25mpg if I drive less than 70mph. I could not be more happy with this car. Just purchased the Flex today, and have had it on loan from dealer for two days. If it gets advertized fuel economy, I'll be really happy.

Edited by chucky, 01 September 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:13 AM

Just came back from a trip From NC to RI and calculated and OBC was about equal... i got 24.8 MPG on the HWY...17000 miles on it in 1 year and i still love this car.... Funny how it's so underated...Everybody that rides with me says Wow! where did all this Feaking room come from? I laugh.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·