Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cargo space

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EMC2

EMC2

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

I'm currently looking for a vehicle that can seat 7 passengers and carry a significant amount of cargo space. I am constantly moving, so need the cargo space to move large items such as washer/dryers, mattresses, tables etc. I am trying to decide between a Toyota Sienna or a Ford Flex. My question is: does the Ford Flex have a large enough cargo area to move these large bulky items? (I know that the Toyota Sienna, being a minivan, would have the larger cargo space, but would the Ford Flex be able to to carry these items?)

#2 OFFLINE   CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

I'm currently looking for a vehicle that can seat 7 passengers and carry a significant amount of cargo space. I am constantly moving, so need the cargo space to move large items such as washer/dryers, mattresses, tables etc. I am trying to decide between a Toyota Sienna or a Ford Flex. My question is: does the Ford Flex have a large enough cargo area to move these large bulky items? (I know that the Toyota Sienna, being a minivan, would have the larger cargo space, but would the Ford Flex be able to to carry these items?)

I have never tried it, but I believe I remember seeing a post from someone either on this site or www.fordflex.net discussing how they moved a washer and dryer in their Flex.

#3 OFFLINE   jrys

jrys

JRYS

• Ford Flex Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Keep in mind that in the Flex you will be loading on top of the flip & folded seats, not onto a metal cargo deck.

#4 OFFLINE   Bulldozer

Bulldozer

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

The flex has limited height and width. If you are carring 7 passengers, there isn't much cargo space left. Also keep in mind the second bench seat, while advertised as 60 40, it is really 40 20 40. The middle seat of the second seat is narrow.

But if you really like the Flex (as Flex onwers do), there is always the option of getting one with a Class III hitch and pull a trailer when you move. I kind of wonder why you move so much, rather it's job or you just like livingin different places.

#5 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:24 AM

My Flex replaced a full size Ford station wagon which I always considered a heavy hauler for a passenger vehicle when all the seats were down. Without having measured the 2 to compare the wagon beats the Flex hands down with the exception of height. The wagon was somewhat limited by loading area height. I can tell you this- the Flex will not pass the 4x8 sheet of plywood test, it's too narrow. Also, the interior is not designed for heavy hauling, you'll mess up the seat backs and I'm not sure they were designed to carry really heavy loads when folded.

These links should be helpful-
What have you hauled?

cargo space behind third row

Interior dimensions

It's kinda of a truck

Washer Dryer posting - Note that was a long term "test" vehicle not their Flex. I wonder if the roof headliner or seats got damaged on that trip. I doubt they'd post it if it did, Again, while I'm sure the Flex can accommodate large items I'd hesitate to put anything heavy or with rough edges in the Flex, I don't think the interior materials used are designed for or durable enough for it.

Finally, to use all the cargo space you're down to 2 occupants, driver and 1 passenger. With my old wagon I could haul stuff and 3 people, driver and 2 passengers with my front bench seat. I'd love to have a 40/60 (driver/passenger) front bench seat in the Flex.

#6 OFFLINE   nada 50

nada 50

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

The flex has limited height and width. If you are carring 7 passengers, there isn't much cargo space left. Also keep in mind the second bench seat, while advertised as 60 40, it is really 40 20 40. The middle seat of the second seat is narrow.

I hope he is not talking about hauling 7 ppl and a washer and dryer cause it's not gonna happen even with a mini van.

#7 OFFLINE   flats3

flats3

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Titanium AWD Ecoboost

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

The answer to your question is a resounding NO. The Flex doesn't come close to providing the space of a mini-van. The specs are 83 cu ft for the Flex vs 150 for the minivan. And it's more than just the specs as the minivans allow you to load on a solid floor rather than on the top of seats that are folded down on the bottom half so you can carry heavier material in the mini van. And the entry for larger materials is significantly easier in a mini-van both because of a larger entry and the use of the sliding side doors. We've driven mini-vans for 15 years and just got a Flex and there is just no comparison for the things that you're talking about. The Flex has it's advantages over a mini-van but hauling stuff is not one of them.

#8 OFFLINE   AnjJjk

AnjJjk

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

Just FYI I just got a full size washer and dryer in my flex at the same time. Love the cargo room.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·