Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Brake Calpiers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Monkeyman

Monkeyman

Monkeyman

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:33 AM

Just wanting to know if the 2010 Flex brake calipers stick outward past the area where the rotor and wheel mate up? I am looking at purchasing some brake dust shields and need to know before I buy them.

Ryan

#2 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:15 AM

Brake dust shields go on the inside of the rotors, not the outside. I've never seen a car that didn't have it's calipers stick out past the face of the rotor, except maybe some heavy-duty trucks.

Besides, the air going through the spokes of the wheel is the only thing that cools the brakes down. Putting any kind of shield in that area is dangerous and likely to lead to serious brake fade.

#3 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

Brake dust shields go on the inside of the rotors, not the outside. I've never seen a car that didn't have it's calipers stick out past the face of the rotor, except maybe some heavy-duty trucks.

Besides, the air going through the spokes of the wheel is the only thing that cools the brakes down. Putting any kind of shield in that area is dangerous and likely to lead to serious brake fade.

Not true. The brake dust cover he is referring to goes between the wheel and the hub to keep the wheels clean, and do not impact the cooling of the brakes themselves. If that were the case, you wouldn't see hubcaps on cars. The only reason there are holes in steel wheels is to keep the weight down. The cover behind the rotor, which is what you refer to is shaped to draw air from the front to aid in cooling the rotor, There is still plenty of space between the inner face of the wheel and the rotor for it to be cooled.

#4 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:16 AM

Not true. The brake dust cover he is referring to goes between the wheel and the hub to keep the wheels clean, and do not impact the cooling of the brakes themselves. If that were the case, you wouldn't see hubcaps on cars. The only reason there are holes in steel wheels is to keep the weight down. The cover behind the rotor, which is what you refer to is shaped to draw air from the front to aid in cooling the rotor, There is still plenty of space between the inner face of the wheel and the rotor for it to be cooled.

Not sure where you're getting you're facts from ACDII, but you might want to check them. Trust me, I've seen actual brake testing results and I can assure you that the air coming through the wheel, even on steel wheels, is very significant. In fact why do you think there isn't a steel wheel with hubcap available on the Flex? Could be for marketing reasons, but could also be because the brakes wouldn't pass fade testing.

How exactly can a cover "draw air from the front"? That's where the wheel and tire are.

Edited by Waldo, 15 February 2010 - 05:16 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   roush3

roush3

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:15 PM

I agree with waldo the more holes in the wheel the better the brakes cool that just a fact. Why do you think guys that race most likely have 5 spoke wheels. Its to help keep the brakes cooler. Yes i helps with weight to but brakes is a big part of it .

#6 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:11 AM

do not impact the cooling of the brakes themselves.

Sorry, joining the chorus... this is just incorrect....

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·