Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Remote Start from Factory or After Market

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wes

wes

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

I'm pricing out a nice Black SEL with EcoBoost & Vista Roof. We also want the remote start. We are getting offers from three dealers.

Two dealers would get the Ford RS from the factory.
One dealer is saying he would put in an aftermarket AudioVox which he says is better. (I'm guessing he he makes more $.)

Questions:

Should I do the aftermarket or the factory?
If we get the factory one, are all the buttons on the key, or is there a separate fob for the RS?

Any other thoughts, pro/con?

I saw the postings about programming it so the engine won't shut off when the door is opened.

thanks!
Wes

#2 OFFLINE   Gumby

Gumby

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

My Limited EcoBoost is not in yet, but I have seen the starter FOB. It is separate. I believe the FORD one is a 2 button. But I also understand the range is not that good. It is approx. 350 feet. My dealer also offered me an upgraded one good for 2000 feet but it was almost triple the cost. We went with the Ford remote start.

I don't need to remote start my vehicle from the next province over!!

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

The Ford remote start is an aftermarket part, it just happens to be included in the window sticker.

#4 OFFLINE   jrys

jrys

JRYS

• Ford Flex Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

The factory remote start is made by Code Alarm, which is part of AudioVox.

When you call the Ford Security and Remote Start Support Line (1-800-FORD KEY) you get AudioVox.

#5 OFFLINE   nada 50

nada 50

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

Do not get the factory remote start, I just p/u my Flex last month with it on there and need to be pretty close to use it. My brother has an Escape with a dealer installed and that works great. It is not part of the key, it has a seperate remote with one button. Do yourself a favor and get dealer installed or another aftermarket one.

#6 OFFLINE   jrys

jrys

JRYS

• Ford Flex Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

If you have the Dealer install the non-bidirectional Ford remote start, it is the same one that would come on your Flex if you ordered it with the so called factory remote start.

The remote start is not installed on the assembly line. After the vehicle rolls of the line it goes to an up-fitter to have the remote start installed before it is shipped to the Dealer.

My Flex is the second vehicle which I have had this same Code Alarm system in, and I am very satisfied with it.

Any remote start system is a very invasive installation. I think you are better off with a Ford approved and installed unit, to avoid finger pointing if you have any problems going forward.

Edited by jrys, 27 January 2010 - 06:16 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   wes

wes

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:55 AM

Any one consider the remote in this video: YouTube

It is the Valet 561T made by Directed Electronics and it integrates seamlessly to the Ford key (according to the description).

#8 OFFLINE   Gumby

Gumby

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:31 AM

The main issue with an after market install (non-Ford type) is the warranty. It would be covered by a maximum of 1 year (for a good reputable place). The Ford remote is warrantied for the same amount as the rest of the vehicle (AFAIK) which is 3 years or 60,000kms. These remotes are always malfunctioning in some respect or another....from my experience.

#9 OFFLINE   dfig12

dfig12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:02 AM

Wes,

I don't think you could order an SEL with the Ecoboost engine. Has to be a limited. As for the remote start, from the factory, it is a separate key fob with 1 button to start the vehicle. If I were you, I would have it installed at the factory. It's cheaper.

#10 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

Wes,

I don't think you could order an SEL with the Ecoboost engine.

In Canada that's true, but in the US you can get an SEL Ecoboost.

#11 OFFLINE   wes

wes

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:29 AM

In Canada that's true, but in the US you can get an SEL Ecoboost.

He's correct. I'm getting SEL with EcoBoost.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·