Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

gas mileage and kick down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cruisinflex

cruisinflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:50 AM

i am averaging 17 city and 20 hwy but what i have noticed watching the screen with the fuel bars average is that i dont get max fuel economy while using cruise, unless i am going down hill. I have tried all kinds of different speeds 55 to 75 what i have noticed is that i do not alot of kick down at speeds above 68 mph. so if anyone has found away to get max fuel economy on more of a continued bases while driving. what is the magic speed.....lol.

cruisin

#2 OFFLINE   Bulldozer

Bulldozer

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

What you need to remember is that the instant MPG readout only calculates the MPG based on the sensor(s) reading at that moment. It dosen't actually measure the fuel flow. Ford knows this, and that is why they have just bars instead of actual numbers.

Even the Average MPG read out calculates the MPG from the sensor(s) readings, but it is more accurate due to the fact it averages the reading out over distance. Being it still calculates is why it dosen't usually match the fill up readings.

Like you, I find the only time you will get all 5 bars is when the car is very light throttle and coasting. You notice you cannot take off from a light with out losing allof the bars no matter how light the throttle.

The MPG reading just givesyou a ball park figure. Personally I just leave it on the AVG MPG, as that willgo up & down as the laod increases (hills) or decreases.

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:14 AM

The Flex engine uses Advanced Fuel Shut-off when coasting, which means under that mode it is using zero fuel. So that's your max fuel economy. Clearly you will never find a speed where you can continuously burn zero fuel, so you're never going to get that last bar to stay on very long.

#4 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:54 PM

I still haven't read the entire manual, but my experience with the Flex is different from what I've found in older cars. If cruise control is "on" I find that the engine revs up as it apparently tries to hold my speed down as I go downhill. If I turn off the cruise control, RPMs drop back down. It acts as if the overdrive isn't kicking in in cruise control because I'm not going fast enough, that is, I'm in too low a gear.

I don't know what this means: "i do not alot of kick down at speeds above 68 mph," but above 68 the box Flex isn't going to get great mileage.

I need to find out just how overdrive works in this car.

#5 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:16 AM

If cruise control is "on" I find that the engine revs up as it apparently tries to hold my speed down as I go downhill.

That's exactly what it's trying to do - hold your speed. It's also almost always in Advanced Fuel Shut-off mode while doing this, so you're not burning any more fuel than if it was in top gear.

#6 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

That's exactly what it's trying to do - hold your speed. It's also almost always in Advanced Fuel Shut-off mode while doing this, so you're not burning any more fuel than if it was in top gear.

Thanks for the info. That's even better than before, because rolling down mountain roads in overdrive isn't that much fun. Speeds tend to get up into the 80+ range real fast.

Where do I read about Advance Fuel Shut-off mode? I'll look in Yahoo right now.

#7 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:58 AM

Thanks for the info. That's even better than before, because rolling down mountain roads in overdrive isn't that much fun. Speeds tend to get up into the 80+ range real fast.

Where do I read about Advance Fuel Shut-off mode? I'll look in Yahoo right now.

Got my "A"s confused, it's Agressive, not Advanced. From ford.com:

Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off
We are also deploying Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (ADFSO) technology to improve fuel efficiency. ADFSO allows fuel supply to the engine to be shut off during vehicle deceleration and then automatically restarted when needed for acceleration or when the vehicle's speed approaches zero. This new system builds on the Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off technology available in our existing vehicles by extending the fuel shut-off feature to lower speeds and more types of common driving conditions, without compromising driving performance or non-CO2 emissions reductions. This improved fuel shut-off will increase fuel economy by an average of one percent. An additional benefit of the ADFSO technology is increased deceleration rates, which should extend brake life and improve speed control on undulating roads. This technology was implemented in mid-2008 on the new Ford Flex and the Lincoln MKS and in late 2008 on the 2009 model year Ford F-150, Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator regular and extra-long models, as well as the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner. In the next two to three years we plan to implement this technology on as many vehicles as possible, beginning with front-wheel-drive, six-speed-transmission vehicles.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·