Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have any transmission problems?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   crazyguy6

crazyguy6

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL 3.5L

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

No, there is no help. They put it in for review and the dear rep for the area usually shoots it down.

One parts guy at a local dealership has become a little sympathetic and gives us discounts on parts for it since he knows its our only vehicle right now and we us it to take our special needs son back and fourth to therapy's. Otherwise the rest of the dealers / Service departments just charge the going rates, no breaks on any of the issues even though this problem is well documented over all models that have this type of transmission.  

Of all the problems, the Transmission seems to be the one that we cannot get resolved without spending a serious chunk of change.  We found the shift module on line though Ford Tasca parts for $279 but we would have to attempt to put it in. Otherwise our Local Dealerships are about $450 for the part and another $400 to $500 Labor plus. 

Edited by crazyguy6, 15 April 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#22 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

No, there is no help. They put it in for review and the dear rep for the area usually shoots it down.

One parts guy at a local dealership has become a little sympathetic and gives us discounts on parts for it since he knows its our only vehicle right now and we us it to take our special needs son back and fourth to therapy's. Otherwise the rest of the dealers / Service departments just charge the going rates, no breaks on any of the issues even though this problem is well documented over all models that have this type of transmission.  

Of all the problems, the Transmission seems to be the one that we cannot get resolved without spending a serious chunk of change.  We found the shift module on line though Ford Tasca parts for $279 but we would have to attempt to put it in. Otherwise our Local Dealerships are about $450 for the part and another $400 to $500 Labor plus. 

Thanks for the reply, crazyguy6.

If you decide to pay for repairs, I recommend holding on to all your receipts in case a recall or a customer satisfaction program is announced in the future.

Tricia

#23 OFFLINE   JMAC2010

JMAC2010

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

Has there been any resolution to the problem being discussed?

I just purchased a 2010 Flex Ecoboost AWD (42,000 miles) and I am having the same problem. It first started out shifting (kinda of like a hesitation while moving), dealer replaced the valve solenoid, once returned a new problem started. It would slam into gear when pulling out from a stop, this was sporadic, did not do it consistently. Immediately took it to the dealer and they replaced the valve body. Just got it back today, they claimed 3 different techs drove the Flex and no issues. Wife has it 10 minutes and experiences the same issue of slamming into gear. She returned to the dealer drove around with master mechanic for an hour and it would not repeat. 

I plan to drive around this evening and see if it will do it for me. Dealer advised to drive it a few days to see if it goes away. I doubt it will, there is definitely something wrong. I have mentioned TSB's in the past and they tell me they can't go off of what I found on the internet. I have tried to be nice, but this has gone on for over two months, we have driven the rental longer than our own vehicle.

I did not mean to hi jack the thread, just curious if anyone has confirmed the problem and what the fix is, since it seems to be common.

#24 OFFLINE   crazyguy6

crazyguy6

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL 3.5L

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

Ok, some new information on all these shift issues. It appears that the Transmission Shift Module can cause these problems but not throw any error codes. In talking with a undisclosed individual, Ford techs have been replacing the shift modules Like Santa handing out candy canes at Christmas time.

Most Dealers sell them for $400 or higher plus the labor but if you are a handy car guy, you can pick them up for as cheap as $290 like TASCA Ford on line. The particular number for our 2009 Flex is AA5Z-7G391-A and it fits a number of models with this transmission.   

The symptoms of my transmission are erratic shifting, hard shifts and its favorite trick is jumping out of gear in heavy stop and go traffic.  Most of the time when it jumps out of gear or wont go back in gear, you have to pull over, put it in park, shut the car off and restart it. This sequence always seems to correct the problem for a while.

I've also tried re-setting the module by disconnecting the battery for a few hours then reconnecting it and driving the car. It usually take the transmission a day or so to calm down from re-learning the shift patterns but it is usual a process that involves long / jerky shifts.

The reason for giving you this information is to show how an electrical based part can wreak havoc on your transmission. Basically, Don't let them talk you into a $2,500 to $3,000 Transmission replacement when you could have something more minor going one.  Our local dealer has replace 11 of these already this year and they keep 2 in stock at all times so this tells you the severity of the problem.  Even if your Transmission is not exhibiting or giving out any error codes, the local dealer still replaces these and most often has success in solving these problems that are plaguing these style of transmissions.

Good Luck and hope this helps.

• GrySql and Kurtm74 like this

#25 OFFLINE   SgtSteve

SgtSteve

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex Limited

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:09 PM

Crazyguy,

Thanks for the update info. I bought my 2009 Ford Flex Limited used in 2013, and have had it to the dealer once for transmission issues. They installed new firmware into the transmission module which seemed to help for a little while, but now it's back to doing crazy stuff like others have mentioned. I thought maybe it was just me having issues, but apparently not.

Are you positive on that part number for shift module? I saw it listed for other models but not the Flex specifically. 

So, the question is if you replaced the module, are these new modules any better? How long will they last before they start exhibiting the same symptoms? Also, if you replace the module, doesn't it need to be programmed or do these come preprogrammed? I don't know a whole lot about these newer cars, used to the old cars before computers, etc and they were easy to work on.

#26 OFFLINE   JMAC2010

JMAC2010

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the reply about the shift module. The Flex went back to the dealer today. Today it did the same thing while my wife was driving to work, but this time the traction control light came on as well as the wrench symbol, both stayed on for the 15 mile trip to the dealer. My wife said it also felt like the car lost power, it was sluggish.

She called the dealer and told them she was bringing it in and they said don't shut it off, they wanted to the dash lights to stay on. She took a picture of the dash for proof just in case. Wouldn't you know it when she pulled into the dealer and put the car in park (left engine running) the lights went out. At this point we are hoping there are codes stored, so the tech can at least start to diagnose.

At this point a solenoid has been replaced (not sure what that means and the valve body. I mentioned to the service rep about replacing the shift module as mentioned above he "thought" that was replaced too. I am not convince the module has actually been replaced. I had to chuckle when I mentioned how common this problem is when searching the web the service rep said this is the first time dealing with this. I told him your not the only Ford dealer. In fact there's one dealer that is stocking the shift module due to how many issues they have experienced.

Thanks again for the response. I will start a new post if this continues, I don't want to continue hi-jacking this one.

#27 OFFLINE   PSuarez

PSuarez

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

Hi- I'm new to this forum. I have a 2009 Ford Flex and I have this exact same problem. The car jerks from shift to shift and at times the entire power shuts down. I've had this issue since I purchased the car. We purchased it brand new. We've taken it to several ford dealers while we had warranty and the tech's were never able to determine what was wrong with it. Now I'm at 120k miles and the car is pretty much undrivable. I'm at a white end because the car no longer is under warranty and it's just sitting there. When I do drive it, I don't go far from my house. I can be at a light and when I take off, the car stalls and has zero momentum. The car jumps from gear to gear. I got tired of taking it back to the dealer. I'd like to begin a petition because I've heard from other people that have had he same issue. The tech's at Ford were never able to find the problem. Now I have a car that I paid off and is pretty much useless.

#28 OFFLINE   mring99

mring99

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

I would also like to add my issue to this list.  I have a 2011 Ford Flex SEL that I purchased new.  I am now at approx 68,000 and have been experiencing similar transmission issues.  My car is currently at the dealer for a few other repair along with trying to find out what is wrong with the transmission.  I've been told after trying to recreate this issue for a few days, they cannot.  I am going by there today (they requested that I come drive with the tech) and bring them a list of possible causes (that I have read throughout this forum site) along with a TSB recommended from a post here. 

When at low speeds, either coming to a stop or trying to accelerate out of a slow down/almost complete stop, my transmission feels like it slips into neutral, revs at higher RPM'S and doesn't go anywhere then jerks hard into gear (feels like I've been rear ended) then proceeds.  Or it does the hard jerk first then slips into neutral where I don't accelerate right away, then proceeds.  It has happened several times (randomly and I wouldn't know how to recreate it to the dealer) in the past few months. 

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·