Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have any transmission problems?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kurtsbusa

kurtsbusa

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:11 PM

Notice on my 2009 FWD that sometimes while slowing down for a stop light/sign right before I get to a complete stop it will bang hard into 1st gear. Sometimes it wont even go back into 1st,if I don't make a complete stop.

Have had it do extremely hard shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 not often enough to have it happen when taken to the dealer though.

have to take it back in to change the brakes again so wonder if it is a program change?

#2 OFFLINE   Gillagorilla

Gillagorilla

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

Yes there is a TSB out for this concern. Very easy fix with just reprogramming the computer.

#3 OFFLINE   Ratpack

Ratpack

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

Yes there is a TSB out for this concern. Very easy fix with just reprogramming the computer.

Here is the TSB 09-2-7

Attached Files

#4 OFFLINE   kurtsbusa

kurtsbusa

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Here is the TSB 09-2-7

had them check it and they said I had the latest version still does it :angry: Also have had my brakes redone 4 times and they are still messed up.

have a friend with a 2010 and their trans does the same thing

#5 OFFLINE   _2949

_2949

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Notice on my 2009 FWD that sometimes while slowing down for a stop light/sign right before I get to a complete stop it will bang hard into 1st gear. Sometimes it wont even go back into 1st,if I don't make a complete stop.

Have had it do extremely hard shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 not often enough to have it happen when taken to the dealer though.

have to take it back in to change the brakes again so wonder if it is a program change?

#6 OFFLINE   _2949

_2949

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

I had mine get "stuck" between gears and it CREEPED along. Tried putting it in P then to D then to P then to M nothing - did the microsoft restart and click going again. Very troubling for a vehicle only 7 months old.
I also have the hard shifts on a reg basis. Mine goes in every 3 months or so for service - no change. 13000+ miles on it....someone want a 2010 w/ ecoboost, dvds and a vista roof?

#7 OFFLINE   flexgal

flexgal

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

had them check it and they said I had the latest version still does it :angry: Also have had my brakes redone 4 times and they are still messed up.

have a friend with a 2010 and their trans does the same thing

I am on my second go around with brakes. 25K and 60K and all in between i have had issues. Have you come to a resolution?

#8 OFFLINE   ShariGriffith

ShariGriffith

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

I have the same problem I have had it reprogramed o ce but now is really bad. Also it was in shop last week because the key would not turn

#9 OFFLINE   Planedriver_1

Planedriver_1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

I had mine in today for the banging in gear a few times, the last time it did it the transmission mount let go and then on accelleration it would clunk just about every time

They did the program computer upgrade, all felt good when i picked it up today. But with all the work i found that my CD player in my dash won't work correctly.

It gives me a thing , innitializing then reads CD ERROR on the radio display and switches to the radio .

It was working when it went in for service for the other issues.........They said they didn't cut the power to the car because the presets were still in the radio but i had to set the clock so i know better, and on the dealer customer report the tech stated , ( removed battery to replace transmission mount.)

What a day........but i think the clucking and shifting problem is gone.

#10 OFFLINE   John Wiskowski

John Wiskowski

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

2013 Ford Flex SEL FWD purchased on 01/19/2013

Got the car on Saturday. Today (Monday), I pull out of my spot and feel hesitation and notice a yellow wrench light. I stop the car and turn it off and on, still see the light. I decide to keep going a few hundred feet and the drive is completely off, vibration higher that usual, and transmission feels wrong. I stop the car and turn it off. I check the manual and the yellow wrench means powertrain failure. I went to start e car to move it into a better location, but it won't start. Dead.

I call the dealer, and the salesman turned me over to service. I had to call Roadside Assistance and get dropped off at the dealer. They gave me a free rental car and told me that they would call me tomorrow.

I'm not sure if this is related to the problems other drivers are having, but thought I would share my story for a brand new 2013 model.

#11 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

2013 Ford Flex SEL FWD purchased on 01/19/2013

Got the car on Saturday. Today (Monday), I pull out of my spot and feel hesitation and notice a yellow wrench light. I stop the car and turn it off and on, still see the light. I decide to keep going a few hundred feet and the drive is completely off, vibration higher that usual, and transmission feels wrong. I stop the car and turn it off. I check the manual and the yellow wrench means powertrain failure. I went to start e car to move it into a better location, but it won't start. Dead.

I call the dealer, and the salesman turned me over to service. I had to call Roadside Assistance and get dropped off at the dealer. They gave me a free rental car and told me that they would call me tomorrow.

I'm not sure if this is related to the problems other drivers are having, but thought I would share my story for a brand new 2013 model.

Hi John Wiskowski,

I want to get this in the hands of your regional customer service manager by escalating your case. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, current mileage, and daytime phone number; I'll handle the rest.

Crystal

• robertlane and Martha Hunt like this

#12 OFFLINE   Tammusc

Tammusc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

We are not happy!  In 2011 we bought a 2009 Flex, it had 50,020 miles on it. It now has 90,203 miles on it so that tells it you is not drove everyday.  Two weeks after we got it, it slammed us all into the dash and front seats ( yes we had seat belts on) we were pulling out the drive way and BAM it slammed like someone hit us in the back.  It did this two more times in the next month.  Trip one back to the dealer. Over the years we have taking it back several times, same thing.  

In the past few months we have been almost hit twice. you pull out and it as if someone slams it into park and everything shuts down.  Traction control light comes on and all power is gone.  We have almost been hit twice because of this, you have to put it in park and re start the car. 

Many times the traction control light pops on.  while at the beach we also have noticed the car surges or jumps when going about 15 mph,  

we have taken it back today makes 9 NINE  count them NINE times, for them to find out what is going on.  

Always the same BS nothing... Well being we got the owner of the dealership involved oh they are finding all kinds of BS things now.

Trying to tell us the car is out of aliment of 70 degrees. which is BS and that is the reason.  I'm sorry but we are not stupid my husband is an ASE mechanic and he is far from stupid that aliment is not what is making my car loose power, jump into and out of gears and jerking.

I have read many many complaints about the car doing this to other owners.  Have seen where plates were replaced and TRS .  Just waiting on the next call from the dealer to hand us some more bull.  

I'm sure once July gets here and our extended warranty expires, they will find the problem.  I'm so close to trading it in on a Chevy!  Yes I said that, I paid CASH for this car and it is nothing but a problem.. I love the Flex but not this one and how we are being treated like we are crazy and we are making up these problems.  Guess the other Flex owners with this SAME problem are crazy too.  

#13 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:33 PM

Tammusc, sorry to hear of this problem with your Flex.  Have you taken it to a different Ford Dealer to get a second opinion?

On your behalf I have sent a message to the Forum's Ford Customer Service Rep, hopefully Tricia will get in touch with you soon and be able to help.

Here is the Forum link to get in touch with her if you'd like to contact her as well.

http://fordflexforum...n-post/?p=13696

Edited by GrySql, 13 April 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

We are not happy!  In 2011 we bought a 2009 Flex, it had 50,020 miles on it. It now has 90,203 miles on it so that tells it you is not drove everyday.  Two weeks after we got it, it slammed us all into the dash and front seats ( yes we had seat belts on) we were pulling out the drive way and BAM it slammed like someone hit us in the back.  It did this two more times in the next month.  Trip one back to the dealer. Over the years we have taking it back several times, same thing...

Tammusc, sorry to hear of this problem with your Flex.  Have you taken it to a different Ford Dealer to get a second opinion?

Welcome to the community, Tammusc!  :) 

You’re on the right track by contacting your Ford Dealer and having it diagnosed. Since your vehicle is out of the new-vehicle limited warranty, be sure to speak with your service manager, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

I agree with GrySql, and I also recommend seeking a second opinion from another Ford Dealer. You can find a dealership here: http://owner.ford.co...-locator.html#/.

If you decide to continue working with your current dealer, please keep us posted on the outcome.

Tricia  

#15 OFFLINE   coastalcpa

coastalcpa

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

I haven't been on this forum for a few years.  We got our Flex in 2010 and love it...except for one thing.  I noticed soon after we got it that it would jerk back into gear on occasion.  This would only occur one or two times a months - sometimes barely noticeable.  Other times, it would jerk everyone in the car.  We took it several times to the service center, but it was never fixed.  It tends to occur when you get to a stop sign and then push on the gas to go again.  I make the car come to a full stop and then it jerks before getting back into gear once I apply the gas to go again.  Of course, my car is now "out of warranty," so it tends to be just a nuisance thing I've learned to live with.   I have so many people ask me about my car because they are considering buying one.  I usually give them a rave review - except for that quirky little transmission issue.  I sure wish it could be fixed!  Any ideas?

#16 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

I haven't been on this forum for a few years.  We got our Flex in 2010 and love it...except for one thing.  I noticed soon after we got it that it would jerk back into gear on occasion.  This would only occur one or two times a months - sometimes barely noticeable.  Other times, it would jerk everyone in the car.  We took it several times to the service center, but it was never fixed.  It tends to occur when you get to a stop sign and then push on the gas to go again.  I make the car come to a full stop and then it jerks before getting back into gear once I apply the gas to go again.  Of course, my car is now "out of warranty," so it tends to be just a nuisance thing I've learned to live with.   I have so many people ask me about my car because they are considering buying one.  I usually give them a rave review - except for that quirky little transmission issue.  I sure wish it could be fixed!  Any ideas?

I’m glad to see that you’re posting, coastalcpa.

Have you considered seeking a second opinion from another Ford Dealer, and what’s the mileage on your Flex? I’ll be happy to check my resources on this end!  :) 

Tricia 

#17 OFFLINE   crazyguy6

crazyguy6

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL 3.5L

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:59 PM

We have a 2009 SEL with about 130K on it now. It started what I would call jumping out of gear under acceleration and then slamming back into gear. Some times the car takes back off and some times it just free rev's until you drop it into low manually then you can get it moving over to the shoulder, shut the car off and re-set the transmission.  Its been doing this for about two years but its getting more frequent and more violent now. Here in Atlanta traffic, its just getting too dangerous so I'm going to need to do something. You always get the same song and dance when you talk to any one of our three Local Ford Dealers that if they cant pull a code or simulate it that they cant fix it.

I started really digging into this problem about 4 months ago and started asking questions about the problem and they directed me to the AA5Z-7G391-A Shift module. I was told that they put quite of these in and that they usually stock 3 or 4 of them at all times. Wow, where is the disconnect in solving his problem?? Between Knowing about it since the cars were new, TSB's about re-programming the processor and they giving the sorry about your bad luck your care is our of warranty, give us another $1,000 and well throw it in and see how it goes.  

The car has been a money pit between the 2 cooling fan assembly's, Broken Drivers side Transmission mount from the hard shifting, 2x Transmission coolers / AC coil assembly from the cracking problems. Countless Brake pads and Rotors from which I finally switched to a EBC Brake kit to solve the warping. It just goes on and on.

But anyway, back t the transmission, solenoids like this shift module may be the culprit as it seems to be an electrical / shifting issue between the computer and the Shifting solenoids in the Shift module. Have some limited mechanical skills so we are going to purchase one and give it a shot next month, Just a shame that Ford cant Man up and fix the problem without leaving their long time customers hanging to foot the bill and possibly causing a major accident from the cars unpredictable transmission behavior..

#18 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:37 PM

We have a 2009 SEL with about 130K on it now. It started what I would call jumping out of gear under acceleration and then slamming back into gear. Some times the car takes back off and some times it just free rev's until you drop it into low manually then you can get it moving over to the shoulder, shut the car off and re-set the transmission.  Its been doing this for about two years but its getting more frequent and more violent now. Here in Atlanta traffic, its just getting too dangerous so I'm going to need to do something. You always get the same song and dance when you talk to any one of our three Local Ford Dealers that if they cant pull a code or simulate it that they cant fix it.

I started really digging into this problem about 4 months ago and started asking questions about the problem and they directed me to the AA5Z-7G391-A Shift module. I was told that they put quite of these in and that they usually stock 3 or 4 of them at all times. Wow, where is the disconnect in solving his problem?? Between Knowing about it since the cars were new, TSB's about re-programming the processor and they giving the sorry about your bad luck your care is our of warranty, give us another $1,000 and well throw it in and see how it goes.  

But anyway, back t the transmission, solenoids like this shift module may be the culprit as it seems to be an electrical / shifting issue between the computer and the Shifting solenoids in the Shift module. Have some limited mechanical skills so we are going to purchase one and give it a shot next month, Just a shame that Ford cant Man up and fix the problem without leaving their long time customers hanging to foot the bill and possibly causing a major accident from the cars unpredictable transmission behavior..

There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) published 12/19/2011 that describes something similar to your issue. 

You might want to mention this to your Dealer and see what they say.

TSB 11-12-10

6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011

ISSUE

Some 2009 Edge, MKX and Flex vehicles built on or after 5/4/2009, 2010-2011 Edge, Flex, MKS, MKT, MKX, Taurus and 2011 Explorer vehicles built on or before 4/15/2011 may have a sluggish acceleration or hesitation feel during a rolling stop 0-8 Km/h (0-5 MPH) followed by a harsh bump or feel like a slip on take-off from a stop followed by a harsh bump.

#19 OFFLINE   crazyguy6

crazyguy6

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL 3.5L

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:20 PM

Already talked to the tech's about this and it doesn't apply to the car as it does it over 10mph. 

You accelerate from an intersection, (Sitting at a stop light) and it literally jumps out of gear under acceleration loosing all forward momentum. It happens usually in the 10 to 20 mph range and it will try to re-engauge hence the bump but then it jumps back out of gear and the more free revs. You can grab the shiftier and drop it into low and it will start to move but thats all you have to get it off the road and out of traffic.

The car needs to be shut off and re-started in order to re-establish the higher gears and shifting to reach normal driving speeds.  One time it just stuck in low gear from take off at a traffic light and would not up shift. Had to pull it over again and shut the car off to re-set the system just like above when it looses all forward motion when in drive..

#20 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

We have a 2009 SEL with about 130K on it now. It started what I would call jumping out of gear under acceleration and then slamming back into gear. Some times the car takes back off and some times it just free rev's until you drop it into low manually then you can get it moving over to the shoulder, shut the car off and re-set the transmission.  Its been doing this for about two years but its getting more frequent and more violent now. Here in Atlanta traffic, its just getting too dangerous so I'm going to need to do something. You always get the same song and dance when you talk to any one of our three Local Ford Dealers that if they cant pull a code or simulate it that they cant fix it...

Hello crazyguy6,

I recommend that you continue to work with your dealer to reach a resolution. Did you get a chance to speak to any of the service managers at the dealerships to see if there are any discounts/specials available to assist?

Tricia

Edited by FordCustomerService, 16 April 2015 - 12:53 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·